Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

oil pan removal

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  dramey 
#1 ·
oil pressure gauge is lying by 10 lb low (did a real pressure test)but the pressure is a bit low.have read on the site people installing
a high volume oil pump was thinking of doing it to my 2002
now the real question will the oil pan clear the cross member or is there a bunch screwing around to do?
if there is how much

#5 ·
Pumps are cheap! I'd certainly just replace the whole thing with NEW while you are there. Pumps gears do wear down and tolerances do increase. The pan on my 92 Gen 1 RWD came off easy. Don't forget the pump shaft will have to engage with distributor.

If your pressure is low, your pump (and/or pressure spring) may not be completely at fault... it could be signs of wear in the bearings. But a fresh new high-volume pump will probably still be helpful.

I have always used high-volume pumps in ALL my engine builds, regardless!
Pressures usually at about 80 running, 40 idling.

You may also want to consider going to a higher weight oil... especially beneficial on older engines. I recommend a minimum of 10w-40, or 20w50. Companies like Mobil 1 make "high-mileage" oil blends, even in synthetics.

PS: You will need to buy a pick-up tube also.. they usually come separate. The factory "presses" them in, but they don't always stay attached, especially on aftermarket. Some people weld them in place, some braze them, some pin them... and some just take a change on pressing them in. I found a real simple solution!

Good luck!

PS: These pump photos are for my V8 ... not sure about part numbers for V6:

Pick-up Tube - IMG_4775a.jpg

Oil Pump - IMG_4777a.jpg

#7 ·
When you pull the oil pan, you can check your bearing clearance. Remove a main bearing cap, dry the bearing surface and crankshaft journal and put a small piece of plastigauge on the journal and replace the main bearing cap and torque it to spec. Remove the main bearing cap again and measure the width of the plastigauge and it will tell you the bearing clearance. remove the piece of plastigauge from the journal and bearing surface. Do this one journal at a time for both main bearings and rod bearings. Then you will know if the oil pump will fix your low oil pressure or if you need to replace bearings also. Knowing the bearing clearance will be a great guide on what condition your engine is in.

#9 ·
dramey said:
When you pull the oil pan, you can check your bearing clearance.
Did I miss something ?

I am "Playing Dumb" here - why the Bearing Clearance advice when he simply needs to replace the High Pressure Relief Spring in the Pump. Been awhile since I saw "plastigage" mentioned - Anywhere.
Yeah, I remember the good ole days - but, I suppose it's still being used. Simple, Stupid, Smart.

Mike - Keeping it Same and Sane for decades now.

#10 ·
He is going to have the pan off anyway and the oil pump removed. He has low oil pressure which could be caused by the oil pump or it could be caused too much main bearing clearance. The plastigauge will cost him about $5.00 - $6.00 at the auto parts store. To me it is a no-brainer to check the bearing clearance since he is going to be in the bottom end anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.