Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Stripped oil pan.

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  90safari 
#1 ·
I would replace the pan. Removing the pan on your 2000 takes less than an hour, and doing that will give you the opportunity to assess the "loud clattering sound" you described. That sounds like a connecting rod bearing (or SIX) has run dry. Only you can decide how to proceed from there, if that's the case. I seriously doubt that simply replacing the pan will cure whatever is now hammering down there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....
-M!ke-

#2 ·
If you have a pick n pull junkyard around you can grab the pan off another Astro cheaply, an this also lets you take everything apart on a vehicle which is not yours 1st.

Here is a great thread by "Stroverlander" and he does the oil pan, you probably need to also replace your timing cover due to how it seals up:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/astro-awd-stroverlander.72414/page-12

You could drill it out and tap it with a larger hole, and buy a larger sized plug, but swapping the pan will be your safest bet as you cannot mess anything up. I have had to do this with my motorcycle so it is an option, but t would also depend on your pans current stripped condition. Look into "Heli-Coil" to get an idea of this, it is less work up front since you do not have to take all the parts off to get to the oil pan if you were re-threading instead, but does leave room for error/a problem.

#3 ·
Everything Wiley pointed out above is good, useful information^^^. My main thinking, though, is that dropping the pan will give access to the crank & rods for inspection. This is one time I definitely DON'T want to be "right" but I strongly suspect some bearings (or WORSE) got eaten here.

Drop the pan.

Let's hope I'm wrong, but I don't know a better way to know for sure.
Best of luck to you!
-M!ke-

#5 ·
MechBob said:
They sell a push in rubber drain plug, you might want to try that just to run engine and test.But not considered a long term repair.
It's a shame they (the parts place) didn't tell him that when they sold it to him. :doh:

#7 ·
Shaungan said:
..I noticed my van running extremely rough and loud clattering sound while goin down the road. I peeled off as fast as I could and as I investigated I found no plug in sight, and probably left several quarts of new oil down the past couple miles of freeway. I hope I no serious damage occurred else where.....
You were probably running the engine with NO oil after the first couple blocks.. not miles.
Light should have come on.
I would try a better "temporary" solution first, to see if it still runs

#9 ·
Mmusicman said:
This is the way I would go as well, and if everything is ok then I would replace the pan or begin a teardown.

#10 ·
AstroWill said:
Mmusicman said:
This is the way I would go as well, and if everything is ok then I would replace the pan or begin a teardown.
Yup. That's really the only way to know. Put a temp plug in place, top up the oil level, fire it up and listen for expensive noises. :pray:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.