Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Van has acceleration issues

912 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Johnsonrik 
#1 ·
My van runs great when it's cold. But when it warms up it starts to have acceleration problems. I drove it up to the mountains the other day and there was no power and started to get a little hot. The hotter it gets the slower it accelerates. Exhaust smells like a couple of other vehicles that I owned that had bad CATs. I replaced the mass air flow sensor. No change. Just confused why it runs great when it's cold for a few minutes the runs crappy after that. Please help!!!

#8 ·
Easy test for a plugged cat is to remove the O2 sensor just before the cat and go for a drive. It will throw a code for no reading on that sensor, but if it is partially plugged you should notice you have much more power....

Of course it would not likely be temperature dependant, but worth checking out with an easy test.

#9 ·
I checked it with the scan tool without the check engine light on. It read no codes and said all codes have been erased. Amazingly the next day, my check engine light went on and the scanner said it was the CAT. Got a new CAT put in and YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!! That was the problem. Thanks for all your guys" help on this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.