Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Leaking upper/lower radiator hose

714 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
I was checking out what appears to be a minor leak in my upper radiator hose (at the radiator) when I also noticed the lower hose was leaking by the water pump. I pulled the upper hose and it looks ok (no obvious damage) as well as the fitting on the radiator. Both have the spring style clamps on them. Mostly wondering if it's reasonable to assume the hoses/clamps need to be replaced or if I'm missing something else that could be going on?

Water pump was replaced about 3 years ago, and radiator is new 5 years ago. I do live in Moab with frequent high temps but have had no overheating, just slow leaking.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
ryguy,
From the first picture, it appears to me that the rusty water is coming out from between the over-braid on the hose, and the rubber of the hose itself. Could be I am misreading the photo, but could there be a bad spot which you cannot see, up inside that over-braid?
It looks to me, like a new hose ( maybe both upper and lower,at the same time) would be well worth the effort, and the piece of mind, particularly in a hot climate.
GL
Rod J
Issaquah, WA

#3 ·
If you click on the pictures they show up in the proper orientation (not sure why they got rotated in the post) In the lower photo the leak is coming from near the clamp farther back in the photo and flowing to the braid, I did take another look and the hose seems intact under that braid. Possibly just something going on with an old hose not sealing well in both the upper and lower?

#6 ·
Put some real hose clamps on there and see if it helps, if not then remove/clean/replace hoses/connections

Ryguy, as far as the images, it's the forums software not taking into account the orientation tag. I don't see it being fixed in the near future. But as long as they open properly then it's all good and I wouldn't worry about it. https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=122977

#7 ·
I know all that about the tag and and the need for upgrading - ad nauseum...

What would be the reason - not getting it "fixed in the near future" ?
- Expense / maint. ?
- Time ?
- Inconvenience ?
- Data Loss ?
- Site down - lost $ ?

And I would think the phone and tablet crew would be tired of it.
Either clicking on it or turning their unit...

I got tired of clicking on them anyway - half of them are stuck that way.
Any way of getting other site problems fixed with or instead ?

Should I move this post to Website concerns ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.