Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Spark Plug Removal/Install

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  redfury 
#1 ·
I'm about to replace the plugs on my AWD '95 Astro. First time me doing it. Any suggestions? I'm especially interested in ideas on how to access the driver's side plugs as simply as possible. Thanks.

#2 ·
#3 ·
I did mine from the inside of the vehicle. the only problem i had was the passenger side closest plug to the inside. and that was only because i couldnt see the hole to put the new plug back in. i never thought of doing it through the wheel wells.

#5 ·
#6 ·
And that one to romeroom, hehe. I knew I was over reading that page, I should have posted the direct link to it, sorry folks. Thanks again romeroom that's what I wanted to do in the first place (direct link).

Yes, that write up will surely help others out ihatemybike, Thanks.:)

#7 ·
I'll be taking the 'dog house' of to put in new cap and rotor. Is it easier to get to the driver's side plugs from the inside? I guess I'll find out soon enough--I'm just trying to prioritize my time and efforts.

#8 ·
romeroom said:
Is it easier to get to the driver's side plugs from the inside?
Having owned seven Astros, I can tell you no. They are not easier to get to from the inside. I tried it once and have done it through the wheel wells ever since.

#9 ·
ditto. Once you've done it from the wheelwell a few times it gets easier.I tried it from the inside once as well, and came to the same conclusion as IHMB.I use a trim panel remover tool and pop all the plastic retaining pins bout till the flap's out of the way,while you have the wheel off and the van up, might as well lube those front end parts and check the brake pads and hoses as well!

#10 ·
First timer replacing spark plugs (95 4.3l Safari). Any tips to help from getting to frustrated and destroying things would be appreciated. Any special and affordable tools including something to pop the engine covers in the wheel wells off? I'll also replace the spark wires. any easy way to loosen the engine cover in the passenger comartment? Thanks.

Sorry for posting this earlier in the wrong place.

#11 ·
Arm yourself with a 5/8" flex spark plug socket, a 2 foot long extension, and a long handled flex ratchet. Push the mudflap out of the way and get the front 2 plugs on both sides from the wheel wells, and then dive under the truck and get the rear plug on both sides by reaching up to it with just the socket and ratchet. Don't forget to use Dielectric silicone on the insides of both ends of the plug wires (dist and plug connections) (dist and coil also)

Hint: use a six inch piece of rubber tubing that will fit the ceramic of the plug as a "holder" to start the plug into the cylinder hole. This will save you a lot of time. Also, you don't want to remove plugs from a hot engine, so wait until it has cooled to ambient temperature.

Good luck, and keep truck'n

Bob

#13 ·
Sorry Gary, but you can't get to the plugs from the front end. It is much easier to go in thru the exhast pipe...

Bob

2 can play this game.

#14 ·
I've tried both ways, both failed. First from the front, i didn't cut enough off, will try it again. Bob I did try that way as well, but couldn't fit. My system was only 3". I needed to go on a diet, got stuck when my ______ (you figure it out) hit the pipe. haha

Keith

3 can play also

#17 ·
When I do mine I always go through the side. The last time I did them I couldn't find enough 3/8" extensions to get there. I bought an extension set from Autozone (I know they suck, but it's the closest shop to my house) and the extension set doesn't fit squarely together. I know this sounds weird, but there's was a wobble where they came together. I don't know if they were designed like this, or if they are just crappy extensions. Well anyway when you fit a few of them together to get to the plugs they kind of "snaked" and moved around. Worked PERFECT for getting to the ones on the passenger side. The driver's side was much easier.
I can always get all six through the side. IDK why you would need to do it any other way.
The snaps for the inner splash guard usually just snap out with a screw driver and pop back in when finished, I'm sure that they make a tool for it though.

#18 ·
99astroawd8seater said:
When I do mine I always go through the side. The last time I did them I couldn't find enough 3/8" extensions to get there. I bought an extension set from Autozone (I know they suck, but it's the closest shop to my house) and the extension set doesn't fit squarely together. I know this sounds weird, but there's was a wobble where they came together. I don't know if they were designed like this, or if they are just crappy extensions. Well anyway when you fit a few of them together to get to the plugs they kind of "snaked" and moved around. Worked PERFECT for getting to the ones on the passenger side. The driver's side was much easier.
I can always get all six through the side. IDK why you would need to do it any other way.
The snaps for the inner splash guard usually just snap out with a screw driver and pop back in when finished, I'm sure that they make a tool for it though.
sometimes the splashguard will pull past the snaps also, and can be buttoned back on. You just have to be careful not to rip the splashguard.

They make wobble extensions, but I'm sure the ones from Autozone weren't intended to be that type. Not that it matters much, you do need to have some ability to flex when snaking them in there. I think the wobble 5/8ths sparkplug socket would be the most ideal though, as all the plugs face somewhat at a downward angle anyway...especially for us V8 guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.