Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

2001 Astro, need help with wiring harness

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  afterbang 
#1 ·
Hi there, everyone. This is my first post and I want to start out by stating how thankful I am that this site exists. About two weeks ago, I had never even driven an Astro, far less completed the work that I just did on one.

I work at a Subaru and import shop and I was thrown a curveball. A 2001 Astro work van from one of our parts suppliers. There was a misfire on cyl. 2 and after plugs and wires didn't cure the problem, a smoke test revealed the exhaust valve on this cylinder was burnt. One of the employees was going to do the work, but it ended up at our shop.

I ended up pulling the heads to have them be sent to the machine shop and replaced the HGs. I also ended up replacing the front (timing cover) and rear main seals, replaced the timing chain, water pump, the oil pan gasket, replaced the tranny filter/pan gasket, and did brakes and suspension. Also had to replace pretty much every gasket, seal, and hose on this thing too..

Well, since I didn't begin the initial start of the tear down, I do not know exactly where the ground wires from the main wiring harness at the back of the engine go. I also don't know where the harness guides mount to either. I know the ground cables must mount to the back of the head, but I want to put everything back the way it's supposed to be. It looks like one of the harness guides is mounted by one of the bell housing bolts too?

Does anyone have any or could take pictures of the top/rear of the motor, the back of the heads, and the top bell housing bolts to help me out? In return, and because I now want to buy an AWD version of one of these things, I promise to help contribute to the board in any way I can. I essentially got to the point where just the short block was left in the van and I successfully got it back together, so I'm sure I could be some help to you all.

:D :D :D :ty: :ty:

See less See more
#2 ·
It a little rough getting pictures back there. But I got 2 on the back of the head. A ground strap and a wiring harness ground. Both on the same bolt. There are 2 bolt holes back there next to each other. And I also have a ground on the bell housing. It doesn't really matter if they in the same spot they came off of as long as they are grounded.

Welcome to the forum.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help, guys. One more favor to ask...

Could somebody post a picture of how the oil/tranny dipsticks mount up at the front of the motor. I can't seem to figure out where they go. Seems like there should be a bracket or something, but I don't see where they are secured down.

#6 ·
Again, thanks for everyone's help. The bracket for the two dipsticks was missing, hence me not knowing what they affix to. I've replaced all four struts, did the brakes, and now I'm just waiting on all new coolant hoses and I'm done!

I do have to say, there are a few quirks on those things that are quite annoying. Seriously, whoever designed the timing cover interfacing with the oil pan like that was not too mindful of being service friendly! However, these things disassemble easily and I feel anyone with the right tools could easily do the HG job on these things.

Yes, I think it's safe to say that I've been bitten by the Astro bug. Now that I have spent probably over 30 hours tearing one of these apart and putting it back together, I have been looking for a nice AWD version on CL. There are a few for sale, so hopefully I will find the right one soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.