Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Idiot Guide to Belt Change/Belt Tensioner 95 Astro

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  chongman99 
#1 ·
I figured I'd take a little time today to try to contribute to the Forum, this is for people like me that may not be so mechanically inclined but need/want to work on their own vehicle for various reasons.

In order to change the serpentine belt and belt tensioner on your van it's a pretty easy process. I changed mine as part of troubleshooting a larger problem, and I needed it for general maintenance. So here we go.

1. Remove the latch for your hood. (2 bolts, move it out of your way to your right)
2. Remove the air cleaner, (loosen hose clamp and slide off)
3. Separate the top fan shroud from the bottom fan shroud the fan. (bolts on each side at the bottom of top shroud) Don't try to drag it across the radiator. (My top fan shroud has 2 holes that "seat" into the left and right side of the top of the radiator) My van also has a "push pin" directly in the center/top of the van shroud going into van body (remove it) With a little of finagglin' it will slide out.
4. Now, remove the bottom shroud. circle it around the fan toward the drivers side and it will slide out, don't just try to lift it straight out between the fan and the radiator. Again, with a little finagglin' it will come out easily.
5. This is the belt tensioner.
6. On my power steering fluid canister it shows the belt diagram. If yours is missing, take a picture of your belt routing or get a diagram. You will not be able to remember how it routes.
7. Ok, now grab the right side of the belt tensioner and lift up. The belt tensioner is spring loaded. it will lift up but it's hard (the spring). This loosens the belt. Now slide the old belt off.
8. If you're going to change the belt tensioner, there is a bolt going through the left side of the belt tensioner. Loosen it. IMPORTANT. There is a nut on the other side of that bolt..Hold onto it or it will drop onto engine and be difficult to retrieve. Remove the bolt.
9. Install new belt tensioner. The new belt tensioner has holes that line up into the bracket. When installed correctly the right side of the tensioner will face downward. Tighten the bolt all the way.
10. Re-route the new belt, making sure that everything is lined up properly, grooves of the belt are in the grooves of the pulleys and so forth.
11. Now, you have the belt routed properly, but there is no tension. Grab the tensioner and lift. put the belt under the right pulley on the tensioner.
12. Put fan shroud(s), air cleaner, hood latch back in place.

Yet another 12 step program. Again, thought this was going to be a PITA, was actually very easy. No excuse for squeeky belts anymore. Hope this helps somebody.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks- good post. This idiot needs to change belt soon. I'm actually running the original belt- no lie! 225k.

Now, please post on hose replacement. Still running on both original radiator hoses as well. Someone up there loves me.

#7 ·
Yeah, a lower radiator hose with a softball sized hole in it is a hoot!!. I've never seen coolant run out of a vehicle so fast in my life.

The previous owner just gave up on this van.... So I'm going through everything as fast as I can to get her back in shape.

In 6 months of owning this van I've replaced

Door panels
ALternator
Starter
Brake Lines
oil cooler lines
radiator
Transmission Lines
Fuel Filter
shocks/struts
fuel pump
fuel pump relay
tires/rims
belt/belt tensioner
sparkplugs/wires/disty/rotor
Rear Doors
slapped a Sony Radio in it.

I'm waiting for this damn thing to run out of parts!!!

I'm determined to bring it back to life. Got over 230k miles on it and the engine still runs great. The van manages to show me what needs fixed on a weekly basis. I swear I'm going to get this thing running like it's brand new, and then I'm going to slap a sweet paint job on it, by the time I get the painting done it should be time to replace the engine!

it's going to be the nicest work van ever if it kills me.

#8 ·
I'm determined to bring it back to life. Got over 230k miles on it and the engine still runs great. The van manages to show me what needs fixed on a weekly basis. I swear I'm going to get this thing running like it's brand new, and then I'm going to slap a sweet paint job on it, by the time I get the painting done it should be time to replace the engine!

it's going to be the nicest work van ever if it kills me.
My money is on you. Post some more exterior pictures, I just saw your "gallery of woe". :D

#9 ·
Nice write-up! I sure could have used it a couple of months ago when I changed the thermostat, hoses & belt on my '95! :thumbup:

95CargoVan said:
6. On my power steering fluid canister it shows the belt diagram. If yours is missing, take a picture of your belt routing or get a diagram. You will not be able to remember how it routes
Probably not the case for all of the brands of belts, but I bought a Gatorback and it had the routing diagram on the back of the 'package'.

#10 ·
95CargoVan said:
7. Ok, now grab the right side of the belt tensioner and lift up. The belt tensioner is spring loaded. it will lift up but it's hard (the spring). This loosens the belt. Now slide the old belt off.
8. If you're going to change the belt tensioner, there is a bolt going through the left side of the belt tensioner. Loosen it. IMPORTANT. There is a nut on the other side of that bolt..Hold onto it or it will drop onto engine and be difficult to retrieve. Remove the bolt.
I'm just doing this today as part of an AC compressor bypass installation. Two things I hope are helpful. (I'm very grateful for your writeup, so this isn't a criticism. Just tips.)

On #7, use a piece or paracord or rope around the tensioner to get leverage. IMAGE HERE: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCHbypyo4Kysiv5m7
I tried lifting up with my hand and also rotating counter-clockwise, neither worked. I had a piece of paracord (strong rope) and tied a loop knot and looped it over the nut on the bottom (black) pulley. Then, I was able to pull on the rope and the tensioner moved. It probably took about 50-80lbs, so that's pretty hard to do in a tight space. By using a rope, you can have another person help with the tensioner (standing on the driver side and pulling) while moving the belt into place.

On #8, I did the exact thing you warned against: the nut on the back dropped. It took me 30 minutes to fish it out. So, it is very IMPORTANT as you mentioned.

Thanks for the writeup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.