Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

dropping idle randomly-IAC?

714 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  redfury 
#1 ·
So, ever since I replaced the fuel pump on my van ( killed the coil, the fuel pump died, yadda yadda yadda ), I stared having a problem with my idle. Sometimes ( randomly, haven't been able to pinpoint the cause yet ) the idle will kill the engine it's so bad. If I just restart the van, it'll restart immediately, but will die. If I restart by holding the key for a second at run, then start, it'll idle again.

I've kinda narrowed it down to something with the IAC valve, since a key on engine off will reset the IAC. I also had a problem with the IAC when I was monkeying around with the motor and had the IAC valve out of the throttle body, plugged in and turned the key on and the pintle shot out of it across the interior of the van. It was a month later when I found the spring on top of the motor. Interestingly, I cannot control the IAC valve using a bidirectional scan tool with the motor running, which seems strange. However, when the van is running, the idle seems to adjust for load ( switching from Park to Drive with the brakes engaged )

I'm considering just replacing the valve, but for some reason I'm not confident that just changing it will affect much. Or, it could. I've got lean bank codes for both cylinders and wonder sometimes if the IAC isn't part of that problem since it affects both banks.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.