Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Oil Cooler Quick Disconnect Fitting at Radiator...

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  highfigh 
#1 ·
2001 Astro-4.3 L-2wd...

Here We are -Going to Sunday Lunch and I immediately spot my "Check Gauges" indicator
light being activated. I got this van about (6) years ago @ 79k miles-I'm @ 159k miles now.

Eyeballed my gauges and noticed right away that my oil pressure indicator gauge is at "0".

Pulled into the first driveway that I could find (probably 1/8 mile from when the "check gauges" indicator light came on.) Engine temp was normal-I am thinking that no internal damage was done.

Called the "flatbed hook" (AARP-Road & Tow-Thank You!) and got home in my driveway...all within one hour!

Opened the hood and found that the top oil cooler "Quick-Disconnect" line to radiator had
Quickly disconnected itself from the radiator.

Hoping for the best, I went to the auto parts depot close to me with my other vehicle ('80 Caballero/El Camino-Trusted Freind When in Trouble!) and purchased a 5 quart jug of high mileage 10-30 part synthetic.

Got to cleaning the fitting and could not see anything that was out of the ordinary...Although this is a one year old Dorman aftermarket part that I myself installed...Bad fit? ...Truthfully,I Dunno'!

Lubed up the male line fitting and pulled REAL HARD into the radiator female counterpart until I heard and felt a distinct "Click" and seating taking place.

Feeling some confidence at this point that I mated the two properly. As a "Fail-Safe " should this happen again before I get to replace the assembly, I proceeded to "safety-wire" the supply line to the radiator fitting with reasonable hope that this might deter a high pressure surge pull-away of the same in the future. (Hey-It worked when I was Drag Racing 50+ Years ago-Why Not Now?)
I filled the crankcase with oil and waited 1/2 hour for the oil level to rest.

Checked the level after 1/2 hour..a bit high but within operating parameters..Started the Beast up-checked for any obvious leaks-None- Went for a test drive and returned with no signs of any oil leaks from this area...Thank You Lord!

As I type this...What do the Players here feel about removing the oil cooler lines from the radiator, plugging the radiator orifices , removing the O.E.M. filter line housing and replacing it with a plain screw-on adaptor?

Yes-This van came with a "Tow/Haul" option that I have never and will never use for that intention. I know that there are some here that indicate the oil cooler was engineered as a type of "Intercooler" or in other words, a heat exchanger.

Just thought I might Tap the Ingenuity of the experts here on this forum, for which you are many! :thumbup:

Thanks Folks ...

Best Regards,

Tony

See less See more
#3 ·
I've had a line pop out too. Should change the metal clip for a new one any time you disturb it. I also put a ty-wrap around the ouside of it, so it doesn't have room to let the line pop out. Not sure if that will actually work but haven't had any trouble since either.

#4 ·
I believe that the lines and cooler are there for a purpose, no matter how much a PITA the

plumbing can be. I would be more happy with a traditional threaded fastener, which I'm

sure you would be too, given the choice. These new fangled quick connects, as you note

can also quick disconnect as well, and I applaud your thoughfulness to add safety wire as

a backup. I shall look into this on my 01 as I have already swapped out the plumbing with

a Dorman parts kit. Running the engine w/o oil is probably not recommended, or at least

not a very smart venture...I should think.

Keep and eye on it, and keep on truck'n

Uncle Bob

#5 ·
Well, i checked everything out this morning after hosing out the engine bay (and the driveway-And the sidewalk,etc.!) so all looked good-not a sign of oil leaks anywhere.

The" safety-tie wire" trick is nice and taught, so I think I'm going to run it as-is and see how it performs...The radiator is fairly new-I installed it last summer, so I'm betting
that the oil cooler is doing what it's supposed to do.

Thanks for the responses-Especially "Uncle Bob's" statements about the oil cooler being there for a reason! :cool:

Best Regards,

Tony :driving:

#8 ·
I changed the fitting on my '05 yesterday after noticing oil on the upper radiator hose and below that, as well as oil coating the oil line as it ran downward. The O-ring had been leaking- I didn't want to force the line into the fitting, so I removed the clip and re-installed it after inserting.

FWIW- GM does destructive testing (or, they did) and one test involved draining the oil and driving the vehicle on their 5 mile track at the Desert Proving Ground. A short trip won't kill an engine as long as it's not at high speed and the cooling system is working properly. I'm not recommending that anyone drive with no oil, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.