Kesley-Hayes 4WAL ABS repair parts

Kesley-Hayes 4WAL ABS repair parts

Postby dennis7815 [OP] » March 5th 2020, 3:12am

Hi everyone. I know I have asked this before, but every day is a new day and maybe something has changed. I want to repair my 1994 Astro Van LT EXT Kelsey-Hayes 4WAL ABS and I need to find repair parts as often the control circuit board fails with the ABS electrical motor energized until the ABS electric motor burns out. Often the electrical ABS motor fails due to wear on the motor electrical brushes that should be a repairable part if I can determine who made the abs electrical motor that requires research. I have a strong background in electronics and electrical and watched the video how to resolder the circuit board, but that does not work every time so I am looking for a Kesley-Hayes 4WAL ABS rebuilding service. Raybestos used to offer part number # ABS540025 Anti-Lock Brake System Actuator Assembly for $1400.00, but they stopped production a few years ago unless I am mistaken. Most people say don't bother to fix the Kelsey-Hayes 4WAL ABS, but a lot of people are still wanting to repair their Kelsey-Hayes 4WAL ABS so there may be some way to do the task for the people without having to pay $1400 to Raybestos for part number # ABS540025 Anti-Lock Brake System Actuator Assembly.

I bought a Kelsey-Hayes 4WAL Anti-Lock Brake System Actuator Assembly from a salvage yard, but most all of the units you find in salvage yards today have failed with the same problems my van suffered. The abs electrical motor can be tested by connecting battery voltage and ground by disconnecting for troubleshooting purposes the electrical motor two pole connector on the Kelsey-Hayes 4WAL Anti-Lock Brake System Actuator Assembly and connecting battery voltage and ground in the correct polarity and if the motor runs it is good. If the motor doesn't run with battery voltage and ground connected directly bypassing the control board, the motor requires repair or replacement assuming the parts for the abs electrical motor are available and can be discovered via research. Often the control board failures are solder related or failed relay related and a easy fix assuming the electrical motor has not failed.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I have read so many posts about this and I hope via research to discover a solution that I can share in future after I repair my Kelsey-Hayes 4WAL Anti-Lock Brake System Actuator Assembly.

Dennis Jon Sytsma
Homestead, Florida
Attachments
Kelsey-Hayes 4wal image 1.gif
Kelsey-Hayes 4wal image 1.gif (10.05 KiB) Viewed 242 times
Original Poster [OP]
dennis7815
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: dennis7815 has been a member for 3 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 3 full yearsdennis7815 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 16
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT EXT 2WD CMFI

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Early Kelsey Hayes ABS controller mystery
    by pozo izquierdo » June 22nd 2020, 8:55pm in Brakes
    0 Replies
    Last post by pozo izquierdo View the latest post
    June 22nd 2020, 8:55pm
  • ABS problem?
    by MoparWoodhead » February 18th 2020, 3:31am in Brakes
    4 Replies
    Last post by MoparWoodhead View the latest post
    February 19th 2020, 3:47am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    July 9th 2020, 7:44pm

Re: Kesley-Hayes 4WAL ABS repair parts

Postby AstroWill » March 5th 2020, 3:22am

Good luck Dennis, that would be fantastic if you can find a replacement, maybe it's the same motor in other models, that would widen your search for parts.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106

Postby doogaloo » March 5th 2020, 11:57am

You cannot just replace the motor. You would have to replace the whole valve body assembly. Ask how I know? I work for the company that used to be Kelsey Hayes, and started off in Braking Division. If you remove the motor from the valve body, the pistons are spring loaded and cannot be spread apart to insert the motor. Typically on the end of the motor shaft is an asymmetric part that actuates the pistons.

The history of the company changing names:
Kelsey Hayes > Lucas Varity - Kelsey Hayes > TRW > ZF
doogaloo
Years of Membership: doogaloo has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 28
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby pozo izquierdo » June 28th 2020, 7:40pm

doogaloo wrote:You cannot just replace the motor. You would have to replace the whole valve body assembly. Ask how I know? I work for the company that used to be Kelsey Hayes, and started off in Braking Division. If you remove the motor from the valve body, the pistons are spring loaded and cannot be spread apart to insert the motor. Typically on the end of the motor shaft is an asymmetric part that actuates the pistons.

The history of the company changing names:
Kelsey Hayes > Lucas Varity - Kelsey Hayes > TRW > ZF

I just wonder about the comment above....

The pistons in this model come easily out from the sides and then the motor with the eccentric can be installed in the cavity.
Attachments
IMG_8981.JPG
Here is one side of the unit and behind the allen screw is one pump/piston.
IMG_8982.JPG
That looks like this when taken out. Or MY pistons look like this since they are rusted due to the moisture in the motor cavity....
Ari Ignatius
Hyvinkää, Finland
1992 Chevy Astro AWD Ext, 1:st owner
pozo izquierdo
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 4
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: AWD LT Ext