REAR DISC BRAKE KIT !!?? ( WEB SITE ) LINK

REAR DISC BRAKE KIT !!?? ( WEB SITE ) LINK

Postby WRENCH-ED-NESS [OP] » November 4th 2020, 12:04am

Been a lurker for awhile ! bought my 95 ASTRO BASIC RWD 8 months back ! The rear end was bad , and was also the wrong ratio . Drove close to 120 MI holding my breath with a lion roaring in the back ! LOL ! Got ur home . Found a rebuilt unit with the right ratio For $200.00 in a wrecking yard in NATCHEZ MS. WOW ! WHAT A DEAL !!!! To the point ! Redone the brakes , New pads ,drums looked fresh ! Went to adjust the E B and noticed the drums where clocking ! You know " CH , CH , CH , CH " bad ... So i took them off , went and had them turned , put um back on ! " CH , CH , CH , CH " " WTF " Now Im on my 3rd set of drums , This last set was A/C DELCO GOLD ! " CH , CH , CH ,CH " ALL RITE OUTA THA BOX ! ! ! chew n up the new pads ! Any hoo , The problem all along is the CHINEEZ MFG . Ther all made there now from what i,m told !

The drums are hub centric , The hole in the middle is around 2 - 3 THSNS too large ! No I didnt mike it ! HA ! IT NEVER CENTERS ! No more OEM, S to be had ! So I made some shims from some tin and wedgded them between the axle hub and the drums inner edge ! ( not between the flange and the drum ) no CH , CH for now ! Rode around 200+MI EVERTHING WAS GOOD ! till It started again ! Almost undrivable again . Tin,s not strong enough ! Any way here,s a web site for a real rear disc kit ! https://www.tsmmfg.net/general-motors-a ... -2183.html Its priced fair ! Ive talked to the owner he,s a great guy ! Real easy goin ! I cant pull the trigger just yet myself ! Got a home maint thing I gotta doo first ! Hope this helps some of the cussed and discussed issues on bumpin rear brakes ! P . S . Ive never joined a forum before , so take it easy on a noobee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original Poster [OP]
WRENCH-ED-NESS
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: BS RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 98 Safari AWD brake line replacing
    by disloyalpick » June 5th 2020, 10:55pm in Brakes
    0 Replies
    Last post by disloyalpick View the latest post
    June 5th 2020, 10:55pm
  • Brake upgrade?
    by Bikley » June 15th 2020, 3:17pm in Brakes
    15 Replies
    Last post by dcsleeperdcsleeper is online! View the latest post
    June 17th 2020, 7:36pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 28th 2020, 11:55pm

Re: REAR DISC BRAKE KIT !!?? ( WEB SITE ) LINK

Postby AstroWill » November 4th 2020, 3:32am

I bet that bracket and the cable extensions might be the only custom part. Would be nice to know what yr/mk/model the rest came from, ya know, for when you need a replacement.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby WRENCH-ED-NESS [OP] » November 4th 2020, 1:45pm

According to TSM , the kit uses custom stand off brackets to take up the space at the E B lever which allows you to use the stock cable configuration , ( ONLESS YOU GET THE NONE E B KIT )That means not having to have a shorter front cable made !!!! As far as the other components , Im guessing the calipers are pretty much the cals that most of these upgrade kits for GM cars use , like 70-80,s MALIBU,S , CUTLESS , SKYLARK , ETC ! Basically for regular 10 bolt housings , and some 12,s too !

The brackets are custom made ,there reversible so you don,t have to use spacers to center the cals ! There are some differences in the bolt patterns on the backing plate flanges ( and this is important ! ) there is a guide on the website to measure the hole centers before you order ! When it comes to the disc,s themselves thats where the BIG ISSUE has always been ! popular 10 bolt rears are ( drums 5x4.75 " and 5x5" on larger cars , trucks ) GM started to try things out like running smaller diff,s and axle combo,s , like first gen AST/SAFS esp , S-10 ,s , 9.5' " drums with 4.75" stud pats .

When the AST/SAFS where extended , they enlarged the axle flange and hub , and went with the 5x5" lug pattern but keeping the 9.5 drum !!!!! A THATS WHY ITS A FREAK OF NATURE !!!!!!!!!!!!! They only did this on the smaller vans as far as I know ! According to SSBC , WILWOOD , RITE STUFF , JEGS , There,s only 2% of a market for this to be a thing ! And thats why they don,t make a kit pursay ! TSM seems to have the 11" disc on 5x5" with the rite inner durby clearance , and back set to correct GM,s FOPA ! TSM is a small 2 man op , That does there on mfg ! YEAH TO THE LITTLE SHOPS !

Sorry to be so long winded ! LOL ! I have put a lot of time , effort , and money into this van ! I m do n the camper convo thing ! The brake thing is a deal buster for me ! " BEEN TURNIN A WRENCH ALL MY LIFE " but a 95 CHEVY ASTRO VAN BASIC has put me in my place :-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum has helped me greatly I hope this info helps return the favor !

P , S , This stuff is to the best of my knowledge ! Feel free To correct me if you like !
Original Poster [OP]
WRENCH-ED-NESS
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: BS RWD

Postby sixsix » November 4th 2020, 10:25pm

WRENCH-ED-NESS wrote:Sorry to be so long winded ! LOL ! I have put a lot of time , effort , and money into this van ! I m do n the camper convo thing ! The brake thing is a deal buster for me ! " BEEN TURNIN A WRENCH ALL MY LIFE " but a 95 CHEVY ASTRO VAN BASIC has put me in my place !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum has helped me greatly I hope this info helps return the favor !

P , S , This stuff is to the best of my knowledge ! Feel free To correct me if you like !

Welcome from N. Ky. - we root for Mitch Mcconnell and our new President:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTUn3nlg1KoiqYeZyj_xjd57d0VN58cxC2ceQ&usqp=CAU

You said it all in a way that is dear to my ... well , let's just say.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby sixsix » November 4th 2020, 10:32pm

OK

Here it is all by itself - all "Hail To The Chief" :

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... Q&usqp=CAU

Next President n' all.

More later...

Let's just say - it is going to be interesting.

And I can be real honest here - I can't wait to see how this and "That Laugh" will fold out and work for the future.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » November 16th 2020, 7:10pm

WRENCH-ED-NESS wrote:P . S . Ive never joined a forum before , so take it easy on a noobee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as you can ignore certain BS, it's great!! Welcome to the site and hope you stick around!

Thanks for all of the information. My biggest concern is always when it comes to wear parts, mainly the pads/rotors, shouldn't but also could apply to new calipers as well. When they need to be replaced are they going to be found easily? I want to be able to walk into the store and say, yes I need a drivers side rear rotor from an 19blahblah Chevy blahblahblah and be able to get a proper replacement.

I love the fact that they are making a kit, esp for such a small market as our vans. But anything specialty is going to be more of an issue 20yrs down the road, if it can work with OEM parts and aftermarket brackets, that is ideal for me as it should be easy as pie to find replacements.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense