Rear brake lines.

Rear brake lines.

Postby Brendan [OP] » June 23rd 2021, 10:04pm

Need to do the rear brake lines on my 2000 RWD.

Can anyone advise me on the materials and tools required? Never done this sort of thing before.

Do I have to drop the gas tank to do this, I would rather not, besides its full.

Thank you
Original Poster [OP]
Brendan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Rear brake lines.

Postby sixsix » June 23rd 2021, 10:42pm

A simple search in g00gull using the addy here should help find threads for RR brake line / component help.

And I do not recall folks having to drop the tank for the brake lines.

Your LAPS should also be able to help w/ tools maybe.
But they are fun to own and you know you're gonna' muck up one of them...
- only to find out months later while doing 70...

:shock:
"1 Nautilus died, BLM spawned, Antifa runs amok
- CRT & unions have taken schools by storm
THEN:
Not a single "Black" "Leader" condemns Black Crime
- White Supremacists get blamed for it all - they sure do get around"
sixsix
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby markmitch » June 24th 2021, 1:48am

since you will be bending your own lines best bet is to use a coat hanger to make a trial bend around the tank and buy small clamps to mount it. I recently did a similar thing but on the front frame. I used 3 coat hangers and duct tape to mock up my new lines then slowly bent my new lines.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L7)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L7)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 641
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Brendan [OP] » June 24th 2021, 4:22am

Thanks for the tip
Original Poster [OP]
Brendan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: V6 RWD

Postby keith92ext » June 24th 2021, 12:19pm

use ni cop lines and NOTHING but double flare connections and take your time..
keith92ext
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: keith92ext has been a member for 5 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 5 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 5 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 5 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): keith
Extra Info: 4.3 rwd

Postby Rustbelt_mVanRustbelt_mVan is online! » June 24th 2021, 3:31pm

keith92ext wrote:use ni cop lines and NOTHING but double flare connections and take your time..

I whole heartedly second this opinion. Nickel/Copper lines are significantly easier to work with in all respects. Well worth the few extra dollars
Rustbelt_mVanRustbelt_mVan is online!
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby Danno95 » July 17th 2021, 11:33pm

I hope this isn't too late to be of help. I recently did a successful job on all the brake lines on my 95 Astro. As has been suggested Ni-Cop is best. Too bad the factory didn't use it... I would have gladly paid the extra $20 or $30 in added material cost. I removed the old lines and tried hard to not bend them so they could be used as a pattern for the new ones. Then i bent the new tubing to match the old lines as closely as possibly. This isn't easy. You can bend larger radius curves with your hands and thumbs but it helps to have a good tubing bender for the tighter bends. I have an old model 394 made by Ridgid. it's a 1/4" but works ok for 3/16 too. a double flaring tool is also necessary. DON'T FORGET to put the correct fitting on before flaring the end. I've done it before and it did not feel good. I did not need to drop the fuel tank. I left the farthest rearward part of the tubing straight and then bent it to fit after it was installed. The tank would need to be dropped otherwise. I left the tubing a little long and had to cut and flare the end that goes into the rear hose while the tubing was in place. I will save time to take notes and take photos of the routing of the original tubing so you know where the new one belongs... especially the tubes up front.

Danno
Danno95
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995

Postby Rod's Trucks » July 18th 2021, 12:18am

I just recently rented( borrowed) the double flaring tool kit from my local auto parts store.
I was working on my 1970 GMC school bus chassis, where it is close to 30 feet, front to rear, for the hydraulic clutch line ...for a rear engine school bus chassis.
The new 25 foot spool of NiCop line, came with flares and fittings on both ends. It was are a dream to work with, compared to the original steel lines.
I also bought a short length to cut up and practice with, but the first two flares came out perfect; so no more practice was needed.
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby Mmusicman » July 18th 2021, 1:45pm

Cheap flaring tools don't do well. I also wound up borrowing one from a professional mechanic friend after returning a junk one I bought at the local LAPS.

If you find the tank to be in the way... the braces may only need to be loosened for wiggle room. Otherwise, it sounds like you'll likely be able to work around it.

Have fun.. good luck
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 75
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby keith92ext » July 21st 2021, 11:28pm

amazon had the lisle double flare setup for around 60$ ....worked great for me..dont waste money on cheap 20$ ones..
keith92ext
Years of Membership: keith92ext has been a member for 5 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 5 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 5 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 5 full yearskeith92ext has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): keith
Extra Info: 4.3 rwd