Inner shoe wearing faster than outer?

Inner shoe wearing faster than outer?

Postby ceedj [OP] » September 23rd 2016, 4:02am

Hi gang, just changed my pads today, and noticed the old inner shoes are down to metal while the outers are nearly new. Bad/going bad calipers? I don't really notice anything wrong while driving (like they're stuck), and I'm getting a slight pedal bounce, but I figured that was air, and will bleed them over the weekend. Thoughts?

Thanks!
2000 GMC Safari AWD, SLE, 140,000 miles
Original Poster [OP]
ceedj
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: ceedj has been a member for 5 full yearsceedj has been a member for 5 full yearsceedj has been a member for 5 full yearsceedj has been a member for 5 full yearsceedj has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): CJ
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3L V6 AWD

Re: Inner shoe wearing faster than outer?

Postby chevymaher » September 23rd 2016, 4:29am

Sliders are stuck.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby ceedj [OP] » September 23rd 2016, 4:36am

chevymaher wrote:Sliders are stuck.

Not really "stuck" but extremely slow moving; I usually use a c-clamp on the old pad to compress the slider (piston?), and it was much harder to do this time around. Any tips for fixing? Or would it be better to just get some reman calipers? Rubber hoses are fine, and bleeder screws work well; they have the look of a 16 year old caliper - kind of rusty/ brake dust coated but seem to be fine otherwise. I'm all about a little work and even less cash than spending another $50 or so on it, so I'd be ok with fixing.

Thank you! :)
Original Poster [OP]
ceedj
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: ceedj has been a member for 5 full yearsceedj has been a member for 5 full yearsceedj has been a member for 5 full yearsceedj has been a member for 5 full yearsceedj has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Zebediah III » September 23rd 2016, 4:51am

Slider is jammed.
Zebediah III
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Zebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 383 Crate Motor

Postby ceedj [OP] » September 23rd 2016, 6:26am

Sorry I missed the post on page two with the same question, and for mixing up terms (piston vs sliders). So if I buy this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carq ... fragment-3

should fix? Could I theoretically do this without taking off the tires again? I was thinking I could do one bolt at a time, slide it back in, tighten, repeat three times. I can afford $4 on a fix like this, thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
ceedj
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby WoodButcher » September 23rd 2016, 12:44pm

Greasing the bolts wont do it. The slides need to move in the caliper so when the O rings get crusty and hard they fail like you mentioned. You can buy the slides, O rings and new bolts. IIRC when I bought them it was called a caliper hardware kit. I got them at autozone.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby chevymaher » September 23rd 2016, 1:47pm

ceedj wrote:

Not really "stuck" but extremely slow moving; I usually use a c-clamp on the old pad to compress the slider (piston?), and it was much harder to do this time around. Any tips for fixing? Or would it be better to just get some reman calipers? Rubber hoses are fine, and bleeder screws work well; they have the look of a 16 year old caliper - kind of rusty/ brake dust coated but seem to be fine otherwise. I'm all about a little work and even less cash than spending another $50 or so on it, so I'd be ok with fixing.

Buying new parts as mentioned works. I did rehab mine. I took the pins and wire wheeled the snot out of them then once they were good and clean. I used a vibrating sander on them. Then greased them real good. One of the four I did replace. It was a little to pitted. I swapped it from the 90 parts van I had.

Mine work fine now. I kinda measure the work by is it easier to drive to get parts or can I get it done faster just rehabbing them than driving there and back. I hate spending money if i dont have to.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby ceedj [OP] » September 23rd 2016, 1:54pm

chevymaher wrote:
ceedj wrote:

Buying new parts as mentioned works. I did rehab mine. I took the pins and wire wheeled the snot out of them then once they were good and clean. I used a vibrating sander on them. Then greased them real good. One of the four I did replace. It was a little to pitted. I swapped it from the 90 parts van I had.

Mine work fine now. I kinda measure the work by is it easier to drive to get parts or can I get it done faster just rehabbing them than driving there and back. I hate spending money if i dont have to.

Yeah, I figured it was the sleeve too. They actually look fine (they come out with the bolt, so huzzah!), I just didn't know about greasing them, so Ima try that first, should get me through the inspection, and I'll check the wear before the snow flies.

Original Poster [OP]
ceedj
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby ceedj [OP] » September 27th 2016, 1:08am

Just a quick update, greased all 4 bolts and sleeves, the jumpiness has gone away and the brakes feel like they're stopping more evenly now. Thanks again for the help! :)
Original Poster [OP]
ceedj
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)

Postby Lumpy » September 28th 2016, 3:16pm

Brakes are cheap. At least they are for a Gen I. I keep another set of calipers and pads and all the hardware in the shop. If it's "time for a change" or if some brake is giving be concern, I swap it out with the new, known good brake assembly. Then troubleshoot/rebuild the questionable brake while it's on the bench.

Without taking the wheel off? Never. Always take the wheel off. Inspect things, check things, lube things, clean things, paint things, rotate the tires!

I typed the B word four times and never once spelled it "Break".

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » September 28th 2016, 3:44pm

Try not to break your brakes.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro