Brake light diagnosis?

Brake light diagnosis?

Postby ktthecarguy [OP] » September 15th 2011, 8:37am

Hi there,
My brake light has been on since I bought the van (1992 Safari Xt) and I was wondering if there is a way to diagnose why it is on? So far, I have been able to diagnose the ABS light; it says I need a new sensor for the right rear wheel, and the main valve body is bad (I don't think I will be tackling that one!) so the ABS light stays on.

I have replaced most of the hardware for the regular brake system; new front calipers, new rotors, new rubber hoses, new steel brake lines, new pads, new pins, in the rear resurfaced the drums, replaced one piston, new shoes, and new hardware kit. After bleeding and adjusting the brakes, they feel great, and stop very well.

If the ABS light is on all the time, does that also turn on the brake light? Is there any such thing as brake codes, like the engine and ABS codes?
Original Poster [OP]
ktthecarguy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): KT
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: old Swayback

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1992 Astro AWD ABS & brake light issues
    by pozo izquierdo » June 20th 2020, 11:26am in Brakes
    1 Replies
    Last post by doogaloo View the latest post
    June 20th 2020, 10:26pm
  • The easiest ABS light fix ever!
    by pozo izquierdo » June 28th 2020, 6:40pm in Brakes
    0 Replies
    Last post by pozo izquierdo View the latest post
    June 28th 2020, 6:40pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 8:54pm

Re: Brake light diagnosis?

Postby chevymaher » September 15th 2011, 12:29pm

I am not sure about our vans but.I know from having to deal with it, Chrysler does have brake codes.and the light wont go off till you re-set it. Your ABS light you just take out the bulb in the dash.the brake light I would check to see if the emergency brake up all the way,or if its switch working.Someone here will know if there a brake code for our vans.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby ktthecarguy [OP] » September 15th 2011, 12:52pm

Thanks Chevymaher, I forgot about the emer brake; i never messed with it. I will check it out today.
Original Poster [OP]
ktthecarguy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full yearsktthecarguy has been a member for 10 full years

Postby redfury » September 15th 2011, 7:25pm

The other cause for the brake Light would be the proportioning valve. If it is off kilter it will turn on the light. However, if your brakes appear to work properly then its likely the ebrake switch.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby ktthecarguy [OP] » September 20th 2011, 5:52am

redfury wrote:The other cause for the brake Light would be the proportioning valve. If it is off kilter it will turn on the light. However, if your brakes appear to work properly then its likely the ebrake switch.

Thanks for the tip. I did check the switch on the proportioning valve, and put some dielectric grease on the connection. Is there a way to disable the e-brake switch? It looks like the previous owner disconnected the whole system, and I just want to turn off the light, not fix the whole thing.
Original Poster [OP]
ktthecarguy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby redfury » September 20th 2011, 5:58am

Sure, the E brake switch is a simple switch, it either needs to stay open or stay grounded in order to keep from triggering the light.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby ktthecarguy [OP] » September 22nd 2011, 12:43pm

Well, I played around with it for a while, then gave up. The parking brake cable is disconnected (by PO), and so is the release handle. The switch may be bad; it's got some rust on it. But since the parking brake system isn't working, and the regular brake system is, I put a piece of black electrical tape over the light and called it quits.

Problem finally solved.
Original Poster [OP]
ktthecarguy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby chevymaher » September 22nd 2011, 1:41pm

ktthecarguy wrote:Well, I played around with it for a while, then gave up. The parking brake cable is disconnected (by PO), and so is the release handle. The switch may be bad; it's got some rust on it. But since the parking brake system isn't working, and the regular brake system is, I put a piece of black electrical tape over the light and called it quits.

Problem finally solved.

Ah the old black tape on the light trick.Mine dont work either.I lent my van to someone a long time ago.and it came back broken.He ran over a log with it and messed it up.My issue with a brake light is they usually dont warn you about anything till the pedal hits the floor and you have no brakes.As your whizzing up to a pack of stopped cars,a tree so forth.Would it not be more appropriate if it said something along the lines of,Kiss your @ss goodbye. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :auto-crash:
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby ktthecarguy [OP] » September 23rd 2011, 12:02pm

LOL yes, like the service engine light... should be renamed, "Your engine just died 2 miles ago... sorry I didn't warn you sooner!"

But that would be harder to fit on one little light.
Original Poster [OP]
ktthecarguy
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby Jasen » September 23rd 2011, 5:04pm

ktthecarguy wrote: service engine light

That's a typo non of the Mrg ever corrected, it's the S.O.L. light :mrgreen:
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Shad0wXCalibur » September 27th 2011, 5:19am

I'm not sure why but I had a 94 S10 that always had the brake light on. Brakes always worked fine. I was doing some brake work one day and decided to bleed all the old fluid out with new clear fluid and after that, the light went off. I couldn't explain it other than it somehow knew that brake fluid was rotten or had a small air bubble JUST in the right place? No idea. But replacing the fluid turned it off.
1987 Astro
2000 Safari
Shad0wXCalibur
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Shad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full yearsShad0wXCalibur has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Lifted 2wd