Brake Caliper Noise

Brake Caliper Noise

Postby itzmepete [OP] » July 30th 2008, 1:53pm

When going over bumps, I hear a clanking noise. With brakes on, driving over same road and same area, no noise. I pulled the wheel, caliper guide pins had play , alot! Caliper would bounce around as well as the pads. I have read here this happens, whats the deal? Are the pins worn? The Caliper guide holes or Both? The Guide pins are screwed in tight. I thought about getting new pins, that would tell me right away if the pins are worn or the calipers are. Just thought I'd throw a bone here and see if anyone had the same issue. My front end suspension and steering has been redone, completely. Averything from upper and lower ball joints, new drag link, new shocks, both Idler arms replace and alignment. Now the caliper noise so seeing I am but half way thru the pads, I want to do little such as replced just teh pins IF that is the way to go.

Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
itzmepete
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: itzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): itzmepete

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Brake Pedal Shudder, Hard depress, low idle whine.
    by Zord » May 24th 2020, 8:14am in Brakes
    3 Replies
    Last post by augidog View the latest post
    May 24th 2020, 3:11pm
  • 98 Safari AWD brake line replacing
    by disloyalpick » June 5th 2020, 10:55pm in Brakes
    0 Replies
    Last post by disloyalpick View the latest post
    June 5th 2020, 10:55pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 29th 2020, 6:27pm

Re: Brake Caliper Noise

Postby johnny-77 » July 31st 2008, 5:54am

It sound to me like you have two thangs goin on at once. The bushings on the caliper it self are probablely worn out. and The pads should be fairly tight to the caliper with metal clips securing. It sounds like what I find all the time around this area pads are changed but no new hard wair kit is ever instaled at the same time. Remove the caliper bolts and look at the caliper where thay went thrue if the metal has ben rubing on the thrue bolts it probaly time for new calipers, If not new caliper hard ware kit and slide bolts are inorder. Dont forget to lube the slid bolts with high temp brake grease or never seaze. If the retaner clips are missing from the pads or bent badly change the pads as well.

Hope this helps!!
Drive your van hard and long she deserves it!
forgive my terable spelling
johnny-77
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: johnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full yearsjohnny-77 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): johnny

Postby remark123 » July 31st 2008, 4:17pm

Couldn't have said it better than what Johnny said! (Although I probably could have spelled it better) :? I had the exact same problem, the pins had worn the caliper clearance holes out so that the caliper was rattling around on the bracket, except when you stomped on the brakes!
Mark, Simpsonville, KY
remark123
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: remark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Conversion Van

Postby Smiliesafari » August 1st 2008, 6:46am

There are 'O' rings inside the bores where the pins ride. These are all too often overlooked or just neglected. They can be replaced and should be when you replace the disc pads. They're a lot cheaper than new calipers.
Smiliesafari
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: Smiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full yearsSmiliesafari has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

Postby itzmepete [OP] » October 2nd 2009, 5:20am

Sorry for never updating the post! Yes, I went down to Autozone and got a set of new guide pins. WHile there I asked what other parts they had for the front brakes. After some looking up on the computer they also had a kit with all new rubber caliper busings as well, the real problem, they had to look it up as it was not off the shelf deal.I got it as I figured if its for my van, I will probably need it as well. After looking at them I realized what they were for. When I pulled the noisey caliper, it had no rings but the right side still had them in there, worn and rubber hard but still enough where the right side didn't make noise. The old pins when compared to the new pins looked about the same. I replaced them because they were cheap anyway. But I can see where they could get buggered out ratteling around the caliper. I don't think the caliper holes could get worn out, it would take ALOT of ratteling to wear that out. the holes don't look perfectly round but I believe thats the way it is as the unit is cast and doesn't really matter as the only thing that matters is the groove inside that holds the rubber o ring seals. Anyway, the pads were still about 60%. I cleaned it up really good, lubed the rubber O ring seals with DC4 an aviation based lube and reassembled it with new seals and guide pins. The noise is gone, the calipers work great and all issue are gone. Total cost was about $5 a wheel. No clanking noise now. Hope this helps others and sorry for the delay.
Original Poster [OP]
itzmepete
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: itzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full yearsitzmepete has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): itzmepete

Postby astro355 » October 2nd 2009, 5:24am

johnny-77 wrote:It sound to me like you have two thangs goin on at once. The bushings on the caliper it self are probablely worn out. and The pads should be fairly tight to the caliper with metal clips securing. It sounds like what I find all the time around this area pads are changed but no new hard wair kit is ever instaled at the same time. Remove the caliper bolts and look at the caliper where thay went thrue if the metal has ben rubing on the thrue bolts it probaly time for new calipers, If not new caliper hard ware kit and slide bolts are inorder. Dont forget to lube the slid bolts with high temp brake grease or never seaze. If the retaner clips are missing from the pads or bent badly change the pads as well.

Hope this helps!!

Just a side note. I lot of the cheaper pads don't come with the retaining clips anymore.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby fourwheelwheelie » August 4th 2017, 12:52pm

the rubber o-rings are these parts?
ACDelco 18K271X Professional Front Disc Brake Caliper Hardware Kit with Bushings and Caps
mine is a 97' AWD
fourwheelwheelie
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: fourwheelwheelie has been a member for 4 full yearsfourwheelwheelie has been a member for 4 full yearsfourwheelwheelie has been a member for 4 full yearsfourwheelwheelie has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Jebbster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: Tiara Conversion