Parking Brake Shoe Issues

Parking Brake Shoe Issues

Postby Wiley [OP] » April 11th 2018, 11:45pm

Nothing is easy. Was hoping to install some new parking brake hardware/shoes on the 2004 AWD Astro I have never done these, but watched some videos and seems straight forward. Heres what I did, can you help?

Brake Shoes: 89026787
Rotor: 19175120

Installed the actuator as shown, pin is inside the thumb side of pic. The gap on right stays the entire time, can I get this flush somehow?
Screw is backed all the way in, there is no adjusting for the rotor as far as I can tell
Put shoe on, slide on rotor, I will need to pound it on with a rubber mallet, and the wheels wont be turning
Help!!!!
Attachments
IMG_2963.JPG
IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2970.JPG
This is where it gets tight
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Original Poster [OP]
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1992 Astro AWD ABS & brake light issues
    by pozo izquierdo » June 20th 2020, 11:26am in Brakes
    1 Replies
    Last post by doogaloo View the latest post
    June 20th 2020, 10:26pm
  • 98 Safari AWD brake line replacing
    by disloyalpick » June 5th 2020, 10:55pm in Brakes
    0 Replies
    Last post by disloyalpick View the latest post
    June 5th 2020, 10:55pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 3:58pm

Re: Parking Brake Shoe Issues

Postby Wiley [OP] » April 12th 2018, 3:54am

Did not the brake cable, it is rusted and didn't want to make things worse, if that will affect my issue I will go ahead and tackle it, PB Blasted.

If that doesn't resolve it I may try and get my hands on another actuator set, a picture makes it look like it should be flush, maybe the LAPS part is wrong, but it is probably me who is.

I will investigate, thanks
Original Poster [OP]
Wiley
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby dchan51360 » April 12th 2018, 7:16am

almost all parking brake problems I've ever encountered, have been traced back to cables. Usually rusted and not moving smoothly. My 97 astro went through 2 sets of cables in the time I owned it. My 99 safari, I've only had a year and when I did the rear brakes last month, I had to lube the cable to get it moving smoothly. Almost for sure, next round will require a replacement. If the cable, without a spring to pull it back, does not slide freely this needs to be fixed first. Also most brake cables have a large amount of adjustment. If you are replacing worn shoes/or pads, and you have not re-adjusted the cable, then very often self adjusters have turned them selves out far enough that you need to manually adjust them for clearance before reassembly. Then adjust them for proper clearance so that you can actually engage the parking brake.
dchan51360
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Rinny » April 12th 2018, 12:00pm

You might think the adjusters are all the way back but they might be binding because of age. PB the heck out of them and make sure they are all the way back against the cylinder.
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full yearsRinny has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby Wiley [OP] » April 12th 2018, 2:17pm

Thank you all, I did not touch the cable as I did not want to make anything worse, having never serviced it before. I am headed back to South America, so was thinking about replacing the cable now anyway, so will play with it, and probably replace just because I can. Of course I took a look at my haines last night and it mentions creating slack on the line with some locking pliers..so I bet you guys are correct that is my issue.
Original Poster [OP]
Wiley
Alias (AKA):