Abs engages when coming to a stop.

Abs engages when coming to a stop.

Postby Johnnysparx [OP] » September 10th 2015, 11:28pm

Hi everyone , I'm a proud new owner of a 2003 astro LT AWD.
The more I drive it the more I love it! I'm having an issue with the abs.
It engages just before I come to a stop. Any ideas?
Original Poster [OP]
Johnnysparx
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Johnnysparx has been a member for 5 full yearsJohnnysparx has been a member for 5 full yearsJohnnysparx has been a member for 5 full yearsJohnnysparx has been a member for 5 full yearsJohnnysparx has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • POWER STOP KC487336 on rockauto
    by markmitch » October 14th 2020, 12:09am in Brakes
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 10th 2020, 7:03pm
  • ABS weirdness
    by Rockridge » September 19th 2020, 2:04am in Brakes
    5 Replies
    Last post by Rockridge View the latest post
    September 19th 2020, 10:41pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 2nd 2021, 5:51pm

Re: Abs engages when coming to a stop.

Postby bunce1260 » September 11th 2015, 12:23am

I have the same issue, apparently it's the abs sensors on the front wheels. I tried this weekend to perform the fix but I seem to have made it worse.
It's a common issue with large GM vehicles of that era.
bunce1260
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: bunce1260 has been a member for 5 full yearsbunce1260 has been a member for 5 full yearsbunce1260 has been a member for 5 full yearsbunce1260 has been a member for 5 full yearsbunce1260 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » September 11th 2015, 3:51am

Bad EBCM - ABS computer probably needs a re-solder.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004

Postby bunce1260 » September 11th 2015, 4:18am

Could that be the case even with no lights on the dash?
bunce1260
Years of Membership: bunce1260 has been a member for 5 full yearsbunce1260 has been a member for 5 full yearsbunce1260 has been a member for 5 full yearsbunce1260 has been a member for 5 full yearsbunce1260 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA):

Postby sadglad » September 11th 2015, 4:21am

Johnnysparx wrote:Hi everyone , I'm a proud new owner of a 2003 astro LT AWD.
The more I drive it the more I love it! I'm having an issue with the abs.
It engages just before I come to a stop. Any ideas?

Does it do this every time or just intermittently? An intermittent problem by be bad solder joints as pointed out by corsemoto. If it happens ever time then this may be your problem.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=917&p=35796#p35796

I went through this and cleaning the sensor mount fixed nothing. Putting in a new sensor fixed nothing. Replacing the whole hub fixed the problem for me and several others. In my case only one side was bad. Going through the diagnosis procedure did help me diagnose which side that was.

Here is another thread for reference.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=11954
sadglad
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 22
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 AWD Cargo

Postby redfury » September 11th 2015, 5:47am

Best first bet is to look at the wires going from the hubs to the connector. You can do a quick test with an analog multimeter by spinning the hub while measuring continuity on the 2 wires. You should be able to see it "pulse" That's just to tell you that you have a functioning sensor, it won't tell you if the air gap is correct, because that is a wave form the computer reads to determine speed. In the mean time, pull the ABS fuse so you don't have the problem with the brakes, especially if you need to stop quicker. My van would slide forward a few extra feet when it would kick on, and there would have been a couple of times I could have hit something if I wasn't already giving myself a larger than normal margin.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby sadglad » September 11th 2015, 6:10am

redfury wrote:.....You can do a quick test with an analog multimeter by spinning the hub while measuring continuity on the 2 wires.....

Right. In the link I posted above it gives the values to look for on the meter. Basically, you should see at least 350mV. The link above gives the full details.
sadglad
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: sadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full yearssadglad has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 22
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2002 AWD Cargo

Postby Johnnysparx [OP] » October 13th 2015, 3:27pm

Thank guys. Huge help! I pulled the fuse for now. Next time I have it in the air I'm gonna check and clean the abs sensors and check the wires too. This happens on every stop with no lights on the cluster.
Original Poster [OP]
Johnnysparx
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Johnnysparx has been a member for 5 full yearsJohnnysparx has been a member for 5 full yearsJohnnysparx has been a member for 5 full yearsJohnnysparx has been a member for 5 full yearsJohnnysparx has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):

Postby adventurefar » October 28th 2015, 9:07pm

Guys,
I'm running now with the fuse pulled. My 99 chassis has been acting up since the build. Intermittent Brake/ABS light. Replaced both front hubs/sensors, rebuilt module via mail order, and there is no sensor in the rear axle. Connections good/I've got all my harnesses tied up. The condition was vastly improved upon replacement of the front hubs. The hubs/drivelines where the last thing I needed to complete my whole front end rebuild.
That damn low speed ABS activation which jerks the hell out of the van and/or locks up 2 wheels is a pain. With the fuse pulled, it drives/stops great at all speeds I've tested. Rompted on it pretty hard too.

Is there a way to test the pump motor? Its basically the last part in my cherry picking. Or other ideas? I'd like to have this fixed before ski season and I'm a little out of ideas.
thanks
1999 Astro Chassis 02 GMC Safari
I'm married to this one.....
adventurefar
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: adventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: GMC AWD Conversion

Postby kennysmoke » October 28th 2015, 9:25pm

I've had the same issue with my '03 Astro AWD a few times... sensor was bad in front hubs... I just pulled the fuse each time because bearings were still good... when bearings failed I replaced the hubs.. fixed it each time. I'm currently running it with the fuse pulled... the sensor on the last hub installed crapped out again but the bearing is still good...my ex had a '99 Blazer with the same issue.. in 3 years we went through 6 hub assemblies... a couple times the sensors were crap right out of the box... I know nothing about the pump but I'd test those sensors again just in case the replacements went bad already...
"Live Free Or Die" Image
kennysmoke
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): kennysmoke
Extra Info: AWD Tow Pakage

Postby adventurefar » October 28th 2015, 9:50pm

Wow. Had no idea they could be that bad. Raybestos units. Thought I bought quality. Thanks for the info.
1999 Astro Chassis 02 GMC Safari
I'm married to this one.....
adventurefar
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: adventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full yearsadventurefar has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: GMC AWD Conversion

Postby kennysmoke » October 28th 2015, 10:39pm

Thankfully we had the Blazer on extended warranty and they were covered. I'm not saying it's your issue but from my experience it can't hurt to check them. I had one on my old '97 Astro AWD that crapped out less than a week after it was installed and it was OEM... good luck!
"Live Free Or Die" Image
kennysmoke
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full yearskennysmoke has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): kennysmoke
Extra Info: AWD Tow Pakage