Ceramic pad reviews; Wagner / Bosch / AC Delco

Ceramic pad reviews; Wagner / Bosch / AC Delco

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » November 8th 2018, 6:29pm

I drive Delilah over twisty mountain roads daily and as such she gets new pads pretty regularly.... I drive HWW 1, steep dropoffs with lots of plunges to certain death if you mess up... that kind of thing.

I know that I could get a little shorter stopping distance With organic pads, but have been running ceramics for the last two changes.

Wagner “quiet stop” ceramics have worked well, a bit longer distance and frankly they could be dangerous if driven by someone who is not used to downshifting going over the mountain... that said, they have worked ok for me but I remember noticing the difference when I switched to them.

I just ordered the AC Delco Ceramics, and will report when I put them on soon. According to the reviews I read they may have a bit more bite then the wagners (?).

Looking at the Bosch pads people seem to like them (tells me nothing)....

Has anyone here run all three? Maybe something different and exotic that they really like?
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Re: Ceramic pad reviews; Wagner / Bosch / AC Delco

Postby WimpTech » November 8th 2018, 6:57pm

Yes... semi-metallic pads per OEM instruction. Coupled with heavy duty thick rotors (not garbage chinese born aftermarket stock rotors), should stop on a dime and give you at LEAST 3 cents change. How's the rears look?
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby TurnNburn » November 8th 2018, 7:06pm

I use ceramics on mine. definitely longer cold stopping distance which requires a little bit more pedal effort. But once warmed up, I like them. I also live in the mountains with passes that climb and drop over upwards of 4k feet. So brakes are important. They are not noisy and don't dust out that much if that matters to you.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » November 8th 2018, 7:20pm

In my experience the ceramics can't handle the weight of these Vans, IIRC they came from the factory with semi metallic. I just recently just switched back to ACdelco semi metallic and they seem to grab a better.
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby Leeann_93 » November 9th 2018, 1:27am

Gen 3 vans came with ceramic pads.

I have NAPA Adaptive One pads and Ultra Premium rotors on my Jeep and really like them. Stopping distance is very good, even when towing, and they're lower dusting.

I have NAPA Premium pads on my Astro (the rotors were still good); when next I need to replace them, I'll get Adaptive One pads and NAPA Ultra Premium rotors just like the Jeep.

https://www.napabrakes.com/products/bra ... aptive-one
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » December 17th 2018, 8:11pm

I like the idea behind the NAPA Adaptive one pads, it looks like AC Delco is offering the same thing now...

4F820D9E-A506-4840-8C65-AB618942468D.jpeg
AC Delco advantage pads description

From the picture, they sure look like metallic pads though...

41DD2537-9AA0-4AF0-8F77-36F0A1DFDE0B.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GL0BZ6

I’ll give my review soon.
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » December 17th 2018, 9:11pm

Went upstairs and they had arrived, here is a closeup if the surface... can see some metallic material but it appears to be mostly ceramic and binder.
Attachments
81D16473-A33B-4B8E-A1B2-E5BFD6B96A16.jpeg
Close up of pad
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » December 24th 2018, 6:32am

The last set of pads I had were Wagner “ThermoQuiet” QC52 Ceramics. I installed them Sept of 2017. I noticed That I needed a slightly heavier foot to stop, but they were quiet and produced almost no dust.

Here they are after 11,522 miles;

C5813CB4-F7E3-494C-A83D-E2D51A10686F.jpeg
Just a little left before the wear indicator....

Some minor cracks, but very even wear;

6D52FD92-CF08-40E8-9B60-AB5884DC7253.jpeg
Some cracks...

It is interesting that they show more metallic particles....

B456696A-C7E6-48EC-B268-DD523B9F0B3A.jpeg
More metal....

These replaced Wagner “ThermoQuiet” Semi-Metalic pads (MX-52’s)..... I got almost 20k out of them, but almost half of that was my round the country trip.... almost 10k of hwy driving.

I’ll update this later with more feedback on the new AC Delco Pads....
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » December 24th 2018, 7:09am

TurnNburn wrote:I use ceramics on mine. definitely longer cold stopping distance which requires a little bit more pedal effort. But once warmed up, I like them. I also live in the mountains with passes that climb and drop over upwards of 4k feet. So brakes are important. They are not noisy and don't dust out that much if that matters to you.

Do you recall which pads you went with? I would really like to hear about experience with different brands.... :thumbup:
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Ken2.7 » December 24th 2018, 8:11pm

In an effort to keep this page going I will add that I put AC Delco Advantage Ceramic front brake pads on my Tiger 30K miles ago and they still look great and have created no dust but I plan to change them out because I think it takes too much pressure to make a stop and I will be switching to semi metallic pads. The Tiger weighs 6,000 pounds so I realize it needs good brakes. They have worked great in my mountain driving but quick stops in a city aren't so good; I leave lots of room between me and the guy in front. I saw a good bumper sticker today that said "Warning, watch out for the guy that's behind me."
Ken2.7
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ken2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full yearsKen2.7 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Ken
Extra Info: AWD Provan Tiger GT

Postby Corsemoto » December 25th 2018, 2:54pm

I've said it a bunch of times on here but Hawk LTS (ferro-carbon), great stopping power, feel, zero fade, don't overheat, very kind to rotors, they dust but I care about braking performance not how much they dust.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » December 26th 2018, 7:14am

Corsemoto wrote:I've said it a bunch of times on here but Hawk LTS (ferro-carbon), great stopping power, feel, zero fade, don't overheat, very kind to rotors, they dust but I care about braking performance not how much they dust.

Glad to hear it, what pads were you replacing when you installed them? Did they replace another set of ceramic pads?

These are the ones you are talking about right? Hawk Performance HB103F.590 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO65VC
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Mmusicman » December 26th 2018, 4:07pm

Interesting discussion... regarding the tradeoffs between the longevity, durability, and low dusting of the high-tech ceramics vs the traditional rotor eating braking power of the semi-metalics. Lately I've been using ceramics.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » December 26th 2018, 6:43pm

Mmusicman wrote:Interesting discussion... regarding the tradeoffs between the longevity, durability, and low dusting of the high-tech ceramics vs the traditional rotor eating braking power of the semi-metalics. Lately I've been using ceramics.

Which ceramics are you running, and how happy have you been with them? I would imagine you have an ideal platform to test them with those big ole tires you turn...
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Corsemoto » December 26th 2018, 8:51pm

Sailing_Faith wrote:
Corsemoto wrote:I've said it a bunch of times on here but Hawk LTS (ferro-carbon), great stopping power, feel, zero fade, don't overheat, very kind to rotors, they dust but I care about braking performance not how much they dust.

Glad to hear it, what pads were you replacing when you installed them? Did they replace another set of ceramic pads?

These are the ones you are talking about right? Hawk Performance HB103F.590 HPS Performance Ceramic Brake Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO65VC

When I bought my 2004 awd with 35k I switched to from OE pads to Hawk LTS on OE rotors and have since replaced those with the same - Hawk LTS and new OE rotors.

LTS not HPS, though I do also run Hawk HPS 5.0 on my Subaru with DBA 4K slotted front rotors and OE rear rotors that replaced Akebono ProACT ceramic pads and Raybestos rotors that suffered from warpage and pad material deposits causing shimmy and vibration.

Mine is 2004 so different part numbers for pads and I don’t trust Amazon so would verify part numbers for your model on the Hawk website: https://www.hawkperformance.com/parts-lookup

Definitely always best to have a “clean” rotor surface when switching to new pads and follow the bedding in procedure.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WimpTech » January 4th 2019, 6:03pm

OK... here is my now revised opinion...

I recently bought drilled/ slotted rotors for the StormDrain and they came with ceramics... so I figured i'd try them out.
3500 miles later I can say my braking (GEN2) is (kinda) on-par with my old GEN3. Yes, big positive change. Of course the first few cold stops really suck, but the rest are amaze-bawls.

WimpTech stands corrected. Thanks for the link and 411 TnB... you nailed it as per usual.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BV ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by WimpTech on January 4th 2019, 8:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Corsemoto » January 4th 2019, 6:34pm

There's no way a Gen2 will have comparable brakes to a Gen3 unless your Gen3 brake system was trash. Let us know how they hold up. :2: :lol:
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby TurnNburn » January 4th 2019, 7:16pm

sorry I didn't reply, but wimp nailed the fallow up nicely with the setup I got off of amazon. Really cheap, so I did my research. Overall this company has good reviews. So far I am pleased with them with around 5k miles on them.
Last edited by TurnNburn on January 4th 2019, 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby WimpTech » January 4th 2019, 8:40pm

OK maybe not ON PAR... but kinda! Updated above.

WimpTech

Postby Corsemoto » January 5th 2019, 1:42am

Fair 'nuff Wimpy! Any improvement is good, be interesting to see how the rotors and pads do long term for sure. :thumbup:
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Next