Parking brake e-brake Emergency brake pedal stuck

Parking brake e-brake Emergency brake pedal stuck

Postby zerotool [OP] » November 17th 2018, 5:35am

After parking for 2 weeks and i may have had the parking brake on, i pulled the parking brake release lever and the pedal that was in the up position ,went further up 2". I backed up thinking the parking brake was off,then shifted to Drive and the van would not drive forward. I guess the parking brake was on, even though the pedal was at the top. I tried to push the pedal down to put on the E-brake and the pedal was stuck in the up position. So i cut the front brake cable to release the E-brakes. Any idea what went wrong to cause the E-brakes to freeze up? Now i need to wait a few days for the new ACDelco cable. And when i install it , it might still be the state it was in , E-brake still on and pedal at top and not pushing down or only 2" up when release is pulled.
Original Poster [OP]
zerotool
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: zerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): DFW
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 184000mi RWD cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Soft brake pedal
    by Dbleeger » December 7th 2020, 12:15am in Brakes
    6 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 15th 2020, 3:50am
  • brake pedal clip
    by keith92ext » January 8th 2021, 11:51pm in Brakes
    1 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    January 9th 2021, 3:46am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 13th 2021, 11:56pm

Re: Parking brake e-brake Emergency brake pedal stuck

Postby Astro Pop » November 17th 2018, 6:24am

What happens if you get down by the fuel tank and yank on the Pbrake cable down there? Any play? If it's still tight going to the back you might be able to loosen the cable. A pair of visegrips for the cable and 1/2" wrench for the adjuster nut. If it's still tight down there then you have to pull drums and see what's going on inside.I hope cutting the cable wasn't a bad move.
Attachments
pbrake adjuster.jpg
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby zerotool [OP] » November 18th 2018, 10:08pm

Found the problem ! the mechanic did the Fuel Pump replacement and tightened the driver side tank bolt. he did not see he pinched the parking brake cable while tightening the tank strap bolt. That caused the Parking Brake to engage and immovable PB pedal. We cut the front cable to move the truck out of the street and should have checked the cable near the tank strap bolt. We could have loosened the tank bolt and straightened out the kinked up cable. Though it might be damaged beyond repair anyway. He will likely fix the mistake soon. Things to look out for when replacing the fuel pump. Also i found out the tank at the top a least is metal not plastic.
Attachments
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG
i already un pinched the cable and straightened it out.
Last edited by zerotool on November 18th 2018, 11:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
zerotool
Years of Membership: zerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full yearszerotool has been a member for 7 full years

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » November 18th 2018, 11:26pm

Such fun posts!!

Mike

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsixsixsix is online!
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » November 19th 2018, 12:29am

Wow, I don't know how that could have been missed.

Your tank is steel, they didn't move to plastic tanks until the following year.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby zerotool [OP] » November 19th 2018, 1:22am

No jack stands,so he was cramped and tired from working.
The shop that i first went to when i bought the '99 Astro said it had a plastic tank.
Original Poster [OP]
zerotool

Postby AstroWill » November 19th 2018, 2:44am

I hope he is fixing/replacing that cable on his dime.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby zerotool [OP] » November 19th 2018, 5:59am

He said he would install the new front Parking Brake cable when i get it ,for free. I undid the tank strap bolt and straightened the rear cable. Fine fellow, i will employ him in the future.
Original Poster [OP]
zerotool

Postby dramey » November 19th 2018, 11:09am

Since the parking brake cable was damaged by your "fine fellow" mechanic, he should pay for the cable and install it for free. I don't think I would trust a mechanic that doesn't even have jack stands.
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby Leeann_93 » November 20th 2018, 12:16am

Um, why in the hell didn't a 'mechanic' have jack stands???
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby zerotool [OP] » November 20th 2018, 4:30pm

He has stands, no need. now , no more tank dropping.
Original Poster [OP]
zerotool

Postby dramey » November 20th 2018, 8:51pm

I am confused. First you say
zerotool wrote:No jack stands,so he was cramped and tired from working.
The shop that i first went to when i bought the '99 Astro said it had a plastic tank.

and then you say
zerotool wrote:He has stands, no need. now , no more tank dropping.
dramey
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby TurnNburn » November 20th 2018, 9:16pm

pretty wild he was able to get the tank strap tight like that. Did that thing even move with the cable crammed like that? If it did before, you likely burnt your brakes, and the seals in the wheel cylinders.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Like I said...

Postby sixsixsixsix is online! » November 21st 2018, 2:45am

sixsix wrote:Such fun posts!!

Mike

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsixsixsix is online!
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby zerotool [OP] » November 21st 2018, 3:49am

The mobile mech had jackstands. He did not use his jack stands. No it would not move forward an inch. only reverse a few yards. Odd, when the front cable was cut, the van was driven forward into a parking place even tho the rear cable was still crimped. Always use snap ring pliers when replacing a fuel pump.
Original Poster [OP]
zerotool

Postby AstroWill » November 22nd 2018, 3:07am

Definitely cray cray.
Makes me laugh every time I see it. Can I use this image on other sites?

Almost reminds me of the 'mechanic' that did this and somehow thought that it was acceptable.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 7#p1117706

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director