Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

EBCM rusted torx.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Crotating 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am assuming that my ebcm has torx 20 like all the videos I've watched, and like the title says they are badly rusty. They don't even allow the torx driver to seat in them (atleast the 2 I tried). I want to get rid of the infamous ABS + Brake light and would like to remove it to solder it up. Has anybody been through this and could recommend the easiest method please? This is one of the last things that I would like to get done as I like things to be perfect and it bugs me daily, any help in any form is highly appreciated.

#2 ·
I just removed my EBCM 30 minutes ago. Took about 15 minutes.

Yes, the fasteners are T20 Torx. The screw sockets might be just filled with crud; get a mirror and a pick and confirm that they're clear.

Something to remember: Hold whatever tool you're using to remove the screws straight (parellel) to the screw. Tilting it will tend to wedge the bit out and strip the head.

The screws go through the plastic module body inside of brass bushings. There should be minimal corrosion here. I really didn't notice if the threaded end of the screw goes into a blind or through hole.

If it's a through hole, you might try penetrating oil and let that soak for a (long) while.

YMMV - Good Luck.

#3 ·
A very appreciated reply, thank you so much.I'll have a go. The problem may be slightly different as I'm in Ontario Canada,the salt and snow has made the bottom of my van a rust bucket to the point I could see the road through the floor. I am slowly piecing it back together though.
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to message me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.