2003 GMC Safari Brakes

2003 GMC Safari Brakes

Postby MarquezErnest [OP] » May 15th 2020, 12:28am

Good evening everyone,
Almost a week ago, I had a leak on the rear brake line near the gas tank. Replaced it, bled the lines numerous times till all the air was out of the lines. On three different occasions while driving at low speeds or starting to drive I would have no breaks. Peddle to the floor. No loss of brake fluid, no leaks under the van. Everything looks good. I shut the van off, open the reservoir to check fluid and all good.Today drove about two hours, parked and went shopping. When I came out and stated the van, no brakes. White smoke started to come from under the front passenger tire. Pouring rain out, got out to look and the steel line from the distribution box broke off at where it connects to the rubber line going to the caliber. The steel line was shooting out steam. I put a rag over it and it burnt the rag. I do not have a lot of money to replace every thing that pertains to the brake system on the the van. All the calibers are new, lines do not leak. Well, know the front passenger one dose. If anyone has had this problem please help me. I am stumped. Also my family and Ithank you in advance. Be safe
Attachments
brake1.jpg
brake2.jpg
brake3.jpg
breke4.jpg
breke5.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
MarquezErnest
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Ernest
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2003 GMC Safari, AWD, Combination Valve Question
    by Telegraph » June 19th 2020, 8:24pm in Brakes
    0 Replies
    Last post by Telegraph View the latest post
    June 19th 2020, 8:24pm
  • Brakes not bleeding
    by Angusred » June 22nd 2020, 11:41pm in Brakes
    4 Replies
    Last post by Rinny View the latest post
    July 9th 2020, 3:13pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 5:39pm

Re: 2003 GMC Safari Brakes

Postby 97cargocrawler » May 15th 2020, 2:05am

My lord. That don't look good. :shock: I would sort of expect to see clean fluid in the reservoir since you just bled everything.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby plymouthcranbrook » May 15th 2020, 4:45am

I have never heard of anything like that happening. Boiling brake fluid? i have seen water in contaminated fluid boil after heavy usage but after sitting for 2 hours... Never. and water turning to steam does cause the pedal to fail but not cold. WOW
plymouthcranbrook
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: plymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full yearsplymouthcranbrook has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: allwheel drive

Postby TBLBill » May 15th 2020, 2:29pm

The brake fluid could have been hot enough to burn the rag if you had just driven the van. Especially if there was some moisture in there, it could boil. Brake fluid can reach several hundred degrees when in use. I would replace the line and hose that leaked, clean all the dirt out of the reservoir, fill it, bleed the master cylinder, and bleed the rest of the brakes until you get clear fluid from all bleed screws. I've replaced the same hose on my van for leaking there, it seems pretty common that it rusts.
TBLBill
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: TBLBill has been a member for 2 full yearsTBLBill has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS RWD

Postby AstroWill » May 15th 2020, 6:39pm

Damn, that system is going to need more than just that one hose, look at the steel line in that last picture. Looks like it needs a really good cleaning/flush, some new lines, fresh fluid and a proper bleed.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby MarquezErnest [OP] » May 16th 2020, 12:25am

Thank ALL OF YOU ,
Just a follow up. The van sat all night in my drive way in the rain. At 4pm today started to take off the calibor and all of a sudden the line started shooting out white smoke again see video. did not start the van. Disconnected the pos batt cable very fast. At that point it stated to stop smoking. Fliud was newly added while bleeding the first time it know looks burnt. Sorry site bloked my video.
Attachments
van brek smoke.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
MarquezErnest
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » May 16th 2020, 1:39am

Holy crap.

It looks to me like you need to replace the entire brake system. The lines in the pics look AWFUL.

Pressure causes heat, and a LOT of it, and water will boil out of brake fluid pretty quickly, that's one reason to flush the system every year or two.

Replace the lines, replace the hoses. Bleed all 4 corners until clear fluid comes out. If you don't have access to a Tech 2, SnapOn or other pro scanner to perform the ABS bleed, take it somewhere. After the ABS bleed is performed, then bleed each corner again. The ABS bleed will get the air out of the ABS pump, but it puts it out into the lines.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby MarquezErnest [OP] » May 16th 2020, 5:30pm

Thank you Leeann, I am going to start that long and lonely journey today. I have a new caliber and going to purchase new tubing today to install all new lines thru-out. Contaced a few repair shops near me and no one has ever seen or heard of this happening before nor could they explain it. Very worried this is our family van three small kids and wife.What about the power booster pump ,Master cylinder and I"ve heard of a proportioner ?
Original Poster [OP]
MarquezErnest
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » May 16th 2020, 5:40pm

You'd have to test, but it looks like the booster is working. Master cylinder certainly needs a thorough cleaning and then bench-bleeding. Lines go from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve, then to the ABS pump and then to the wheels. The proportioning valve probably needs to be flushed, but they generally don't fail.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby augidog » May 16th 2020, 5:48pm

MarquezErnest wrote:Thank ALL OF YOU ,
Just a follow up. The van sat all night in my drive way in the rain. At 4pm today started to take off the calibor and all of a sudden the line started shooting out white smoke again see video. did not start the van. Disconnected the pos batt cable very fast. At that point it stated to stop smoking. Fliud was newly added while bleeding the first time it know looks burnt. Sorry site bloked my video.
you got that with a cold vehicle? It slowed when you unhooked the battery? I've never seen anything like that, so I'm only poking in the dark, but I'd be looking for a wire rubbed raw and making contact with a steel line. It doesn't make sense though that a grounded wire wouldn't blow a fuse, do you have any unfused auxiliaries coming off the battery?
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby AstroWill » May 16th 2020, 6:34pm

I would totally be interested in seeing that video.
MarquezErnest wrote:Sorry site bloked my video.

The best way is to upload it to youtube and then copy the video code and put it between the youtube tags.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=110697

augidog wrote:I've never seen anything like that, so I'm only poking in the dark, but I'd be looking for a wire rubbed raw and making contact with a steel line. It doesn't make sense though that a grounded wire wouldn't blow a fuse, do you have any unfused auxiliaries coming off the battery?

The only thing I can think of is the large battery cable that runs to the starter would make sense for something like that.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby gavio » May 16th 2020, 6:38pm

you got that with a cold vehicle? It slowed when you unhooked the battery? I've never seen anything like that, so I'm only poking in the dark, but I'd be looking for a wire rubbed raw and making contact with a steel line. It doesn't make sense though that a grounded wire wouldn't blow a fuse, do you have any unfused auxiliaries coming off the battery?

That's what comes to my mind, too..... It doesn't exactly seem logical, and I don't know nuthin' but the fact that it stops with battery disconnect seems worth following....
2004 Safari, 4 inch lift, NP-231 t-case, 255/70/16 BFGs, home-brewed pop top, full camper, on-board propane, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.....
gavio
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: gavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full yearsgavio has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 77
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Sailing_Faith » May 16th 2020, 7:37pm

I really don’t know.... maybe you need an exorcist?

How on earth would anything get hot enough to blow smoke after sitting all night?
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby petema » May 16th 2020, 8:45pm

Wrong brake fluid added? Check container.
petema
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Years of Membership: petema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full yearspetema has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): xm4617
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: CL awd