Rear Drum Brakes

Rear Drum Brakes

Postby [email protected] [OP] » May 18th 2020, 2:47pm

:confused: 2001 Astro RWD Drum Brakes
My rear brakes lockup after driving 10 to 15 miles, start out normal. Then the van starts slowing down with out touching the brake pedal. i could smell brakes. i waited 30 min, then it will go for 10 miles then do the same thing. while I was waiting I pushes the brake pedal, it was hard as a rock running or not. :screaming:

I replaced the shoes drums hardware wheel cylinders. It has NO axle seal leaks.
No change Does exactly the same thing.

I'm at a loss. I have been a mechanic for 40 years and never seen this problem.
I need help with this. Shoes not over adjusted E brake not set, adjusted properly.

1 year ago I replaced master cylinder front pads and ABS unit completely bleed with a scan tool and has been working good,
until a week ago when all this started.

I was thinking about a possible master problem, or a hydro-boost problem. getting hot and putting pressure just on the rear
brakes.
Original Poster [OP]
[email protected]
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Russell
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Brakes not bleeding
    by Angusred » June 22nd 2020, 11:41pm in Brakes
    4 Replies
    Last post by Rinny View the latest post
    July 9th 2020, 3:13pm
  • 2001 Astro brakes lock up
    by [email protected] » July 18th 2020, 9:20pm in Brakes
    5 Replies
    Last post by Astroratsun View the latest post
    July 20th 2020, 6:25am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 3:10pm

Re: Rear Drum Brakes problems

Postby [email protected] [OP] » May 21st 2020, 6:00pm

Thanks for the help guys. I posted on here about my ASTRO brake problems. Actually no help at ALL.
Original Poster [OP]
[email protected]
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Re: Rear Drum Brakes

Postby markmitch » May 21st 2020, 7:18pm

That is because most of the members are most likely at work, give a day or 2 and I am sure you will get answers. Folks don't come in the site every day like social media either.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby TBLBillTBLBill is online! » May 21st 2020, 7:41pm

Good reply, Mark. Much more polite than my answer would have been to that comment.
OP, you should check to see how freely the rear wheels spin off the ground. The shoes could be putting enough pressure on the drum that you don't notice it for a while, until they start to stick after expanding from driving awhile. Could be an issue with adjustment or the e-brake mechanism. I don't know how the hydro boost could cause this, as pressure to the front and rear should be able to be applied only at the same time from the master.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
TBLBillTBLBill is online!
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: TBLBill has been a member for 2 full yearsTBLBill has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS RWD

Postby Mmusicman » May 21st 2020, 7:56pm

As already mentioned..I suspect the rear brakes may be over-adjusted (too tight) and as things heat up and expand, the brakes become constantly engaged. I would also strongly urge you to check the emergency brake pedal and cable. Even if the parking brake is released, the cable may be stuck and would certainly cause issues.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Rod's Trucks » May 21st 2020, 9:14pm

Rusty...
One thing I have noticed about the topic display:
If you only look at the five of six recent topic postings, you can miss quite a lot!
I go back to the "Topicality" tab at the top and look at 'unread' postings occasionally. That has shown several topics that I may missed completely, and by looking at "My Topics", I have seen a couple of replies that got buried in the current discussions, before I got to see them come up.

I hope your brake problem turns out to be something fairly simple. I have no solution other than what I recently experienced.
I recently had a somewhat similar problem, which I think has turned out to be a sticky section of my e-brake cable. I am yet not sure if it is the front section or the left rear section.
I did not experience the brakes seeming to come on by themselves, but I had not driven a long distance either.
The E-brake seemed to release just fine, but one day I noticed a brake smell when I got out in a parking lot. The left rear drum was hot. It was not scorching hot, having driven only about 8 slow miles, but noticeable hotter than the other side.
I noticed the foot pedal lever was not up as high as it usually was after releasing it, and when applying the E-brake and releasing it a a couple of times, it seemed to release with less force than I recalled it used to.
I could also pull the foot release pedal 'up' to the higher position with just a bit of effort.
Trying that on a slight incline proved the release, without a bit of help, left the brakes dragging just a little bit; but if I pulled up on the pedal, that slight bit of drag went away completely.
I dribbled some oil down into the upper end of the cable and oiled front end of the rear cable, hoping some will work it's way into the problem area.
I will be putting new lifting shackles the rear end this next week, so will more closely look at that cable setup at that time. In the mean time, I pay close attention to the position of the e-brake release foot pedal, when releasing the E-brake.

The left may have been adjusted a bit tighter than the right side, so maybe it began dragging first.
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Re: Rear Drum Brakes problems

Postby [email protected] [OP] » May 23rd 2020, 8:35pm

Sorry guys I was stuck for an answer and in a hurry.
I went to Justask, and found out that their is a TSB that GM put out in 2018 Hydroboost Automaticaly Apply.
The fix is replace the Hydroboost. It covers All years of GM vehicles with Hydroboost.
Check it out Alldata at Auto Zone.

I'm waiting on my Hydroboost to come from Amazon, they have the best price and no core return.

Sorry again. Thanks to all that responded. Have a good day
Original Poster [OP]
[email protected]
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)