Soft brake pedal

Soft brake pedal

Postby Dbleeger [OP] » December 7th 2020, 12:15am

My brake pedal is very soft and nearly goes to the floor before the brakes kick in. The brakes seem to work fine asides from that. My first thought was that I was low on brake fluid or I have air in my lines, so I checked the two reservoirs. The larger reservoir is filled and the smaller one is completely empty. I'll bleed the brakes next, but am hoping to get some input on this issue. I also traced the brake lines and didn't see any signs of leakage.

I'm not familiar with a dual reservoir master cylinder and am not sure if there should be any brake fluid in the smaller reservoir or what the purpose of the black liner is. What are your thoughts/explanations? I've attached a photo of the smaller reservoir.
Attachments
BrakeReservoir.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Dbleeger
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1991
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: GT Tiger

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • brake pedal clip
    by keith92ext » January 8th 2021, 11:51pm in Brakes
    1 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    January 9th 2021, 3:46am
  • REAR DISC BRAKE KIT !!?? ( WEB SITE ) LINK
    by WRENCH-ED-NESS » November 4th 2020, 12:04am in Brakes
    5 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 16th 2020, 7:10pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 2nd 2021, 5:28pm

Re: Soft brake pedal

Postby chevymaher » December 7th 2020, 2:20am

There is your problem fill the smaller one. Check the rear brakes they probably worn out that is where the fluid went. Rubber seal keep air from getting in the system if you dont let it run dry.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Old Barney » December 7th 2020, 2:24am

I'll try to explain: the black piece still in the reservoir has to be removed as the fluid is under that black piece still there. Just pull up and out with your fingers. When reinstalling the cover and the reservoir is full put the black piece back in the cover and reinstall the cover. This soft gasket keeps the fluid in when the wheel cylindersare being pulled back in releasing the brakes. and when the brakes are applied this black soft gasket is sucked into the reservoir slightly. I would guess it could be called a diaphragm.
Old Barney
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Old Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full yearsOld Barney has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Barney
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: awd

Postby Rod's Trucks » December 7th 2020, 3:16am

IT also reduces the ability of the brake fluid to absorb moisture. Brake fluid is 'hydrscopic' ( I think I spelled that correctly).
That means it likes to absorb moisture. Additional moisture in the fluid reduces the boiling point, and helps promote corrosion in the piping and other components....bad juju!
That is one of the reasons to flush the brake system occasionally... to get rid of any moisture contaminated fluid.
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby AstroWill » December 8th 2020, 5:40am

The fluid is below that rubber :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Dbleeger [OP] » December 8th 2020, 8:26pm

Got it! Thanks, everybody. Filled up the front reservoir and that fixed the issue. I haven't had a chance to look at the rear brake pads to see if they are worn out because of the weather, but I will once it clears up.
Original Poster [OP]
Dbleeger
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: GT Tiger

Postby AstroWill » December 15th 2020, 3:50am

Congrats! Glad you got it figured out.

Would love to see more of your Tiger :)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches