Best bang for the Buck Performance Brakes (Pad, Rotors, Drum

Best bang for the Buck Performance Brakes (Pad, Rotors, Drum

Postby JoeJITSU [OP] » November 9th 2012, 10:28pm

My wife's brakes are starting to go out and we don't want to put any cheap brakes anymore, They have been giving her problems every now and then and she does drive our kids a lot in it. Let me know what you guys have in mind. Thanks Fellas.

1995 Rear Wheel Drive.
Wifes Van (yes her idea)
Original Poster [OP]
JoeJITSU
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: JoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA): JoeJITSU

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Front rotors
    by astrovanita » November 22nd 2020, 6:05pm in Brakes
    4 Replies
    Last post by astrovanita View the latest post
    November 23rd 2020, 6:05pm
  • What is estimated cost to replace brakes?
    by Gabor Latte » September 13th 2020, 10:23pm in Brakes
    13 Replies
    Last post by M_a_t_t View the latest post
    September 18th 2020, 6:48am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 20th 2021, 5:04pm

Re: Best bang for the Buck Performance Brakes (Pad, Rotors,

Postby Corsemoto » November 10th 2012, 1:45am

Hawk LTS brake pads and AC Delco oe quality rotors on the front and same for drums in the rear, Wagner has a severe-duty shoe.

My '04 is still on original rotors at 137k, I swapped out the stock pads for the Hawk LTS front/rear and then changed back to the stock pads on the front when the Hawk wore down to the wear indicators. I'll be doing the same again soon and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hawk pads - excellent stopping power with no fade, a bit dusty though.

When I had my '97 I tried cheaper rotors with ceramic pads (don't remember brand) and they were okay but not great, didn't last forever either. The bigger brakes on the late model vans definitely help braking power and longevity.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby JoeJITSU [OP] » November 10th 2012, 12:30pm

Corsemoto wrote:Hawk LTS brake pads and AC Delco oe quality rotors on the front and same for drums in the rear, Wagner has a severe-duty shoe.

My '04 is still on original rotors at 137k, I swapped out the stock pads for the Hawk LTS front/rear and then changed back to the stock pads on the front when the Hawk wore down to the wear indicators. I'll be doing the same again soon and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hawk pads - excellent stopping power with no fade, a bit dusty though.

When I had my '97 I tried cheaper rotors with ceramic pads (don't remember brand) and they were okay but not great, didn't last forever either. The bigger brakes on the late model vans definitely help braking power and longevity.

Thanks. I noticed the link to the Hawks but when I search up for my GMC 1995 RWD, it says not available. Any links to the right brake pads. Thank you
Wifes Van (yes her idea)
Original Poster [OP]
JoeJITSU
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: JoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full yearsJoeJITSU has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA): JoeJITSU

Postby smokinjoe » November 11th 2012, 3:51am

Wait, the newer astros have bigger brakes? Are they a plug n play mod for a 95 ?
smokinjoe
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 268
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: RWD

Postby Corsemoto » November 12th 2012, 4:09am

Hawk catalogs lists the following: http://www.hawkperformance.com/docs/catalog-current.pdf

HB103Y.590 Astro 85-92 RWD which is think is a typo and should be 85-02? Tire Rack also has this same listing for '95 RWD

HB332Y.654 Astro 90-02 AWD

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=HB103Y.590

I can't stress enough to follow proper bed in procedure.

From Hawk catalog:

Q: How do I break-in my new pads?
A: Brake Pad Burnishing/Bedding-In Instructions
1. After installing new brake pads, make 6-to-10 stops from approximately 30-35 MPH applying moderate pressure.
2. Make an additional 2-to-3 hard stops from approximately 40-45 MPH.
3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
4. Allow at least 15 minutes for the brake system to cool down.
5. After step 4 is completed, your new Hawk Performance brake pads are ready for use.

Q: Why should I follow a break-in procedure on new brake pads?
A: Correct brake pad break-in (bedding) is important to assure quality braking performance over the life of the pad. This procedure allows the rubbing
surface of the brake pad to be brought to temperatures, creating a transfer-film layer of friction material to be applied to the rotor surface. This
allows the brake pad material to rub against itself rather than the bare rotor. This increases the stopping performance of the brake pad and can
reduce pad and rotor wear.
Last edited by Corsemoto on November 12th 2012, 4:23am, edited 2 times in total.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » November 12th 2012, 4:10am

smokinjoe wrote:Wait, the newer astros have bigger brakes? Are they a plug n play mod for a 95 ?

Yes, they are larger and with rear discs too. Not plug n play due to being 6-bolt hubs and wouldn't fit under 15" rims.

Try a set of the Hawk LTS pads, they will feel like bigger brakes, you race motorcycles so you know the difference pads can make.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr_Roboto » November 12th 2012, 6:05pm

Something else I will say is besides the usual replacement stuff, tires are a good bang for the buck too. Also, hoses are decent money spent. Don't need to be anything special, but it's about $25-30 for a pair of hoses and if the old ones are shot you'd probably be surprised how much of a difference it makes especially on the fronts.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383