ABS light on. ABS not working

ABS light on. ABS not working

Postby romeroom [OP] » April 20th 2009, 5:15pm

The ABS on my 95 AWD Astro has been on for nearly two years. I've not looked into it because I was told it would be an expensive repair--not being told what the repair was actually going to be.

Since I'm in this mode of being a do-it-yourself, I'd like to know what it would take for me to diagnose the problem. Any ideas would be great. I've looked through the forum and have not found specific diagnostic procedures. Thanks.,
'2002 Astro LS, AWD, 41k miles, "W" VIN
Original Poster [OP]
romeroom
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: romeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 76000 miles

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2000 Astro AWD abs light at startup.
    by asrooster8100 » February 21st 2021, 5:07pm in Brakes
    12 Replies
    Last post by WimpTech View the latest post
    March 13th 2021, 8:40pm
  • Replaced all brake lines, removed ABS on a '91
    by icebrrg3rd » December 10th 2020, 12:43am in Brakes
    14 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    December 15th 2020, 2:35am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 21st 2021, 12:23am

Re: ABS light on. ABS not working

Postby GaryZ » April 20th 2009, 6:28pm

It could be a wheel sensor. However, back in 2002 my '91 Safari ABS light came on and the local dealer told me the ABS computer was $900. He also said that this expensive part was why a lot of Astro/Safari vans were running around with this light on.
'98 Astro AWD, white with gray interior,
3.42:1 diffs, 235/70 x 15 tires,
195,000 miles on original engine and trans
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
'85 Yamaha Venture Royale with 1300 engine & Vmax cams
GaryZ
Years of Membership: GaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby romeroom [OP] » April 20th 2009, 7:01pm

GaryZ wrote:It could be a wheel sensor. However, back in 2002 my '91 Safari ABS light came on and the local dealer told me the ABS computer was $900. He also said that this expensive part was why a lot of Astro/Safari vans were running around with this light on.

I have to assume that, even thought the dealer recognized it was a chronic problem and likely a design flaw, he did not offer to replace it at a discount, right?

I don't really feel like paying a dealer to tell me what is wrong, especially since the likely prohibitive nature of the repair will not outweigh the inconvenience of a non-working ABS system.

Any way to tell if it's the ABS computer without bringing it to the dealer?
Original Poster [OP]
romeroom
Years of Membership: romeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full yearsromeroom has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby GaryZ » April 20th 2009, 7:46pm

romeroom wrote: I have to assume that, even thought the dealer recognized it was a chronic problem and likely a design flaw, he did not offer to replace it at a discount, right?

I don't really feel like paying a dealer to tell me what is wrong, especially since the likely prohibitive nature of the repair will not outweigh the inconvenience of a non-working ABS system.

Any way to tell if it's the ABS computer without bringing it to the dealer?

No discount was offered and I reached the same conclusion . . . Drive it as is.

I never did get around to doing any troubleshooting. Sold the van with the light on.
'98 Astro AWD, white with gray interior,
3.42:1 diffs, 235/70 x 15 tires,
195,000 miles on original engine and trans
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
'85 Yamaha Venture Royale with 1300 engine & Vmax cams
GaryZ
Years of Membership: GaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby romeroom [OP] » April 20th 2009, 8:13pm

GaryZ wrote:
romeroom wrote:

I never did get around to doing any troubleshooting. Sold the van with the light on.

Thanks, GaryZ. I'll probably end up doing the same and just keep driving it as is--Unless I get some revelation that all I have to do is clean a sensor here and there...though I highly doubt it.
Original Poster [OP]
romeroom
Alias (AKA):

Postby spongebob218 » April 21st 2009, 2:23am

The ABS light has been on since I got it who knows how long before that. I really don't care, and just keep driving it as is. It behave like a normal, non ABS system, which is fine with me. I am led to believe however, that the light is an issue with the module/pump motor, as the light is on all the time and the system doesn't "self-check". If I'm correct, If it were a sensor issue the light would go off after startup and would come on after the module recognized a bad or missing speed signal.
You ain't nothin' unless you have green plugs.
spongebob218
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: spongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):