How do I temporarily fix it or turn it off

How do I temporarily fix it or turn it off

Postby catbones [OP] » July 12th 2014, 3:05am

Hey guys so I've got the standard ABS/Brake light dash light come on. I've seen the video on the fix. However is there a fuse or cable I can disconnect for these to turn off for the time being. It's getting little annoying.

Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
catbones
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: catbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 83
Alias (AKA): catbones
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Base 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: How do I temporarily fix it or turn it off

Postby BigWheelinBubba » July 12th 2014, 12:46pm

A little piece of electrical tape goes a long way and is easy to take off once you fix it right ;)
BigWheelinBubba
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: BigWheelinBubba has been a member for 6 full yearsBigWheelinBubba has been a member for 6 full yearsBigWheelinBubba has been a member for 6 full yearsBigWheelinBubba has been a member for 6 full yearsBigWheelinBubba has been a member for 6 full yearsBigWheelinBubba has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1991
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: LT1 4L60E RWD

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » July 12th 2014, 1:45pm

BigWheelinBubba wrote:A little piece of electrical tape goes a long way and is easy to take off once you fix it right ;)

or after the bulb burns out,,,
:thumbup:
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby catbones [OP] » July 12th 2014, 1:59pm

It's not on all the time guys.
Original Poster [OP]
catbones
Years of Membership: catbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full yearscatbones has been a member for 7 full years

Postby DRZ » July 12th 2014, 2:45pm

I just unplug my electrical wires at the ABS on the frame. That gets the ABS out of the system without turning on any lights and if you get it fixed, just plug the wires back in. Only down side I've seen is if you need to bleed the rear brakes for whatever reason you need a power bleeder on the master cylinder to force fluid past the ABS or maybe plug the wires back in.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Postby catbones [OP] » July 12th 2014, 6:09pm

DRZ wrote:I just unplug my electrical wires at the ABS on the frame. That gets the ABS out of the system without turning on any lights and if you get it fixed, just plug the wires back in. Only down side I've seen is if you need to bleed the rear brakes for whatever reason you need a power bleeder on the master cylinder to force fluid past the ABS or maybe plug the wires back in.

I know there's a few plugs there, do you know the location of the exact one. I'm going to spray some connection cleaner into all that have to do with the ABS / Brake stuff .... I know the ABS work and my brakes are good too. Unplugging won't take out my brakes right? Just turn off the annoying abs/brake light on the dash? I got to find time to open that module up and re solder those points
Original Poster [OP]
catbones

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » July 12th 2014, 9:18pm

Nope, just kills the ABS, if you stomp the pedal you might skid. God forbid we have to drive...
My light came on in 2001 when I cut the wires. oops.

:lol:

That thing took forever to burn out, it outlived the black tape twice!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Corsemoto » July 12th 2014, 9:48pm

On 2000 or so and up, disconnecting/disabling ABS will also disable Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP) which will mean the rear locks up much earlier than the front and significantly decreases overall brake performance. I experienced this with ABS disabled on my van before fixing EBCM. Maybe it more noticeable with rear disc brakes, but it was problematic on any kind of slippery road surface.

Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP)
The dynamic rear proportioning (DRP) is a control system that replaces the hydraulic proportioning function of the mechanical proportioning valve in the base brake system.
The DRP control system is part of the operation software in the EBCM. The DRP uses active control with existing ABS in order to regulate the vehicle's rear brake pressure.
The red brake warning indicator is illuminated when the dynamic rear proportioning function is disabled.

Is this in the van you're selling? I think it would be more prudent to leave as-is so potential buyer has an idea what they are getting into as opposed to maybe not knowing because you have disable warning lights? :think:
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby catbones [OP] » July 12th 2014, 10:23pm

Corsemoto wrote:On 2000 or so and up, disconnecting/disabling ABS will also disable Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP) which will mean the rear locks up much earlier than the front and significantly decreases overall brake performance. I experienced this with ABS disabled on my van before fixing EBCM. Maybe it more noticeable with rear disc brakes, but it was problematic on any kind of slippery road surface.

Dynamic Rear Proportioning (DRP)
The dynamic rear proportioning (DRP) is a control system that replaces the hydraulic proportioning function of the mechanical proportioning valve in the base brake system.
The DRP control system is part of the operation software in the EBCM. The DRP uses active control with existing ABS in order to regulate the vehicle's rear brake pressure.
The red brake warning indicator is illuminated when the dynamic rear proportioning function is disabled.

Is this in the van you're selling? I think it would be more prudent to leave as-is so potential buyer has an idea what they are getting into as opposed to maybe not knowing because you have disable warning lights? :think:

No no it's fully disclosed. Heck it gives me another reason why not to sell it but I've god it.

I'm honest so if I turn it off I'll be happy to let the buyer know about it. I actually tried this afternoon and nope, the brake light goes out but the ABS is still on I guess when I get a chance and the van don't sell, I'll take the module out and fix the solder points.
Original Poster [OP]
catbones

Postby catbones [OP] » July 12th 2014, 10:25pm

WoodButcher wrote:Nope, just kills the ABS, if you stomp the pedal you might skid. God forbid we have to drive...
My light came on in 2001 when I cut the wires. oops.

:lol:

That thing took forever to burn out, it outlived the black tape twice!

Unplugging the thing did nothing but killed the brake light, abs was still on.
Original Poster [OP]
catbones

Postby DRZ » July 12th 2014, 11:45pm

Did you unplug all the wires going to the ABS ? My '03 has ALL of them unhooked and now the ABS can't screw up and NOT let fluid get to any wheels as does happen from time to time when the sensors go wacko. It happened on the Green '98 that Mike H has now and on this '03. It also happened on my '06 Colorado, that one was an easy fix though so that's what I did there. BUT !! driving with an ABS that isn't working correctly is asking for it. I drove the '03 all winter with the ABS out of the system with no problems but I didn't start driving yesterday.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full years

Postby catbones [OP] » July 13th 2014, 12:05am

DRZ wrote:Did you unplug all the wires going to the ABS ? My '03 has ALL of them unhooked and now the ABS can't screw up and NOT let fluid get to any wheels as does happen from time to time when the sensors go wacko. It happened on the Green '98 that Mike H has now and on this '03. It also happened on my '06 Colorado, that one was an easy fix though so that's what I did there. BUT !! driving with an ABS that isn't working correctly is asking for it. I drove the '03 all winter with the ABS out of the system with no problems but I didn't start driving yesterday.

I unplugged two wires that I thought would be it but maybe there's another one I missed because the brake light went out but ABS was still on. I can't remember but I think someone said there was two or three wires.

Can someone confirm?
Original Poster [OP]
catbones

Postby Lumpy » July 13th 2014, 12:55am

WoodButcher wrote:Nope, just kills the ABS, if you stomp the pedal you might skid. God forbid we have to drive...

How am I supposed to pay attention to who is texting me when I have to constantly get distracted by operating the stupid brakes. Can't those pedestrians just get the hell out of the way?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Corsemoto » July 13th 2014, 12:56am

These are the two connectors on the EBCM (ABS module), the pump power supply (2 wire) and main EBCM connector. Unplugging the EBCM is not a fix or solution and should only be used as a temporary measure until the EBCM can be repaired. With EBCM disconnected, the rear brake proportioning does not function properly (or at all) and will cause rear brake lock up under heavy braking or on slippery road surfaces. I feel like it's a disservice to tell people to just disconnect and say it's better without mentioning any of the potentially negative and serious consequences.

Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » July 13th 2014, 1:12am

DRZ wrote: but I didn't start driving yesterday.

LOL,
"I may have been born at night,
but not last night!"

Yeah Corse, some folks never drove w/o ABS.

I never had the brake light on unless there was a problem with the brakes, check the fluid level and or bleed if the brakes are soft. Drive like you don't have ABS, you don't.
The ABS light on to me was not a problem, I ignored it.
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby DRZ » July 13th 2014, 1:18am

Corsemoto wrote:These are the two connectors on the EBCM (ABS module), the pump power supply (2 wire) and main EBCM connector. Unplugging the EBCM is not a fix or solution and should only be used as a temporary measure until the EBCM can be repaired. With EBCM disconnected, the rear brake proportioning does not function properly (or at all) and will cause rear brake lock up under heavy braking or on slippery road surfaces. I feel like it's a disservice to tell people to just disconnect and say it's better without mentioning any of the potentially negative and serious consequences.

So, you're saying that a possible locking of the rear wheels that has never happened to me is worse than having the brake pedal feel like a brick is under it and you have no brakes at all ? BTW, if this does happen to you, don't try to overpower the system. You just can't push hard enough. IF you have time, pump the brake pedal and on one of the pumps they will start working again. If you don't have time, kiss the front end of your ride good by.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby catbones [OP] » July 13th 2014, 1:32am

I guess I'll fix it taking the module off and putting some extra soldering on the point, if I get time if I don't, hope I sell it to someone who gets it like I got it. It's just dash lights and brakes/ABS work. In snow I always wished ABS were off and the electronic traction is off on anything that recently new. I know how to drive for one thing :) don't need some system tell me and react when it feels like. Lol
Original Poster [OP]
catbones

Postby Corsemoto » July 13th 2014, 1:47am

DRZ wrote:
Corsemoto wrote:These are the two connectors on the EBCM (ABS module), the pump power supply (2 wire) and main EBCM connector. Unplugging the EBCM is not a fix or solution and should only be used as a temporary measure until the EBCM can be repaired. With EBCM disconnected, the rear brake proportioning does not function properly (or at all) and will cause rear brake lock up under heavy braking or on slippery road surfaces. I feel like it's a disservice to tell people to just disconnect and say it's better without mentioning any of the potentially negative and serious consequences.

So, you're saying that a possible locking of the rear wheels that has never happened to me is worse than having the brake pedal feel like a brick is under it and you have no brakes at all ? BTW, if this does happen to you, don't try to overpower the system. You just can't push hard enough. IF you have time, pump the brake pedal and on one of the pumps they will start working again. If you don't have time, kiss the front end of your ride good by.

I'm saying not mentioning that it's possible and likely to occur, then having it happen can be just as dangerous while leaving people thinking they've fixed their brakes. Hey, that's great for you if you're never on the highway, in traffic and never in a situation where you don't have to slow or stop quickly. :thumbup:

As for functioning ABS kicking in on snow, there's a cure for that - better tires.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby DRZ » July 13th 2014, 2:14am

I had to promise a mod that I'd let you ramble so this is my last entry on this post.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Corsemoto » July 13th 2014, 2:39am

DRZ wrote:I had to promise a mod that I'd let you ramble so this is my last entry on this post.

Good for you Stanley! :thumbup:
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Next