ABS and Brake light come on randomly

ABS and Brake light come on randomly

Postby lukeman [OP] » November 2nd 2014, 2:12am

Hi folks,

I need some help, please see my problem below:

MODEL:2000 Astro Van AWD

SYMPTOMS:

ABS and Brake light came on randomly about a year ago, they normally would come off after turn off the engine and restart again, sometimes restart did not get rid of them. The brake and ABS all worked normal when the lights were on. There has not been any obvious reason found for the symptom (like some others said "hit a bump" something), it just came randomly and intermittently. A year ago this started but happened not that often, but recently this problem comes more frequently, especially when the weather is wet.

The interesting thing is, every time when the ABS and brake light came on, I kept them on and plugged in the OBD reader, there was no code detected, but when I refreshed the reader and scanned again, the ABS and brake light just came right off.

I am not good at the wiring or electrical stuffs, but hopefully I can get some idea about what problem that possibly will be.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by lukeman on November 2nd 2014, 4:19pm, edited 3 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
lukeman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: lukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2000 Astro AWD abs light at startup.
    by asrooster8100 » February 21st 2021, 5:07pm in Brakes
    10 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    February 24th 2021, 2:13am
  • Replaced all brake lines, removed ABS on a '91
    by icebrrg3rd » December 10th 2020, 12:43am in Brakes
    14 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    December 15th 2020, 2:35am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 5th 2021, 2:54pm

Re: ABS and Brake light come on randomly

Postby Corsemoto » November 2nd 2014, 2:18am

The search function is definitely your friend on this one. Search "EBCM repair" or "ABS module repair"

Is your OBD tool able to read ABS codes?
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby lukeman [OP] » November 2nd 2014, 5:48am

Yes, there is a ABS section on my OBD scanner, but there is no code detected.
Original Poster [OP]
lukeman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: lukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full yearslukeman has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby lukeman [OP] » November 19th 2014, 4:45am

Update:

Just changed the front brake pads, not the rotors, and sprayed some solvent around the speed sensor on both sides as I had seen they were quite rusty.

Had not expected any better on the ABS and Brake lights, but it was so weird, since the brake jobs were done, those damp lights never come on again, it has been about two weeks now. They normally will come on after 5 minute drive or sooner.

I am thinking the sensor(s) have not been grounding or connecting well since the rust around, or the old pads worn too much causing any problem related to illumination.....who knows? Any idea?

I almost wanted to remove the EBCM to check.
Original Poster [OP]
lukeman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby zzimmer3 » November 19th 2014, 5:08am

I don't know if you've cured the problem, but there is a very descriptive thread on a way to fix those lights. Mine does the same thing, according to the thread topic, its a connection issue under the dash and requires removing the unit and re-sodering some connections or pins on a circuit board. I glanced at the thread, but decided to deal w the sporadic lights coming on. But, maybe your issue was different and its now better?.?. In any event, good luck!
1994 2wd, 1998 2wd, 2000 awd, 2001 awd
zzimmer3
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): teddybear
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby lukeman [OP] » November 19th 2014, 5:16am

zzimmer3 wrote:I don't know if you've cured the problem, but there is a very descriptive thread on a way to fix those lights. Mine does the same thing, according to the thread topic, its a connection issue under the dash and requires removing the unit and re-sodering some connections or pins on a circuit board. I glanced at the thread, but decided to deal w the sporadic lights coming on. But, maybe your issue was different and its now better?.?. In any event, good luck!

I can't say my problem was solved, but just another lead to find out what happened. There is a video on Youtube that the guy fixed the similar problem (ABS and Brake lights on plus C0265 code) by simply reconnecting the ground wire of EBCM which is under the rad.

I will give mine some more time to see further.
Original Poster [OP]
lukeman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby lukeman [OP] » December 15th 2014, 4:57am

Hi folks,

Does any one know where the ground spot of EBCM connected to the chassis? The brake and ABS lights still came on but a lot less often then before, I am thinking tracing the ground of EBCM to see any loose there.

Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
lukeman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » December 15th 2014, 3:18pm

Don't waste time troubleshooting and trying to diagnose existing grounds. Install new grounds.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby The Drummer » December 15th 2014, 5:32pm

i seen on you tube that cleaning the ground thats in front of the batterie by the radiator as solve intermitent lights (abs and brakes) ,quite easy to do and wont hurt if there s any rust but dont solve the problem .
''USE THE TORQUE LUKE ''

and beware of trees ,them nasty wooden things are evil .
The Drummer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: The Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full yearsThe Drummer has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3 AWD

Postby lukeman [OP] » December 16th 2014, 3:56am

The Drummer wrote:i seen on you tube that cleaning the ground thats in front of the batterie by the radiator as solve intermitent lights (abs and brakes) ,quite easy to do and wont hurt if there s any rust but dont solve the problem .

Yes I have seen that youtube video too. That is why I will have it a try before open up the EBCM. But I did not see any ground spot around or under the radiator, is it a bundle of wires or just one? Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
lukeman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » December 16th 2014, 10:06pm

lukeman wrote:
... I did not see any ground spot around or under the radiator, is it a bundle of wires or just one? Thanks.

Follow the ground cable from the battery to where it bolts to the metal support.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby lukeman [OP] » December 17th 2014, 4:24am

Lumpy wrote:
lukeman wrote:
... I did not see any ground spot around or under the radiator, is it a bundle of wires or just one? Thanks.

Follow the ground cable from the battery to where it bolts to the metal support.

Lump

But you have to find out which one is the ground of EBCM. The chassis got so many ground spots, just under the hood I had clean 3 or 4 of them which caused multi gauges on the instrument cluster not working properly. My brake & abs light problem is quite similar as the one showing on the following video, but my 2000 astro 4wd did not seem to have that ground wire under the radiator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZdXH2zR8c
Original Poster [OP]
lukeman
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » December 17th 2014, 1:46pm

lukeman wrote:
Lumpy wrote:
lukeman wrote:

Lump

But you have to find out which one is the ground of EBCM...

Try and make this as complex and involved as possible. It's important to the electrons.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):