Rear brake shoe question--kinda an emergency

Rear brake shoe question--kinda an emergency

Postby offctr [OP] » March 13th 2015, 3:26am

I had some noise issues with the rear brakes and after I got it all apart it turned out the parking brake shoe was off its clip and free to move about in the "drum" part of the clip is gone or the previous owner couldn't figure out how it worked and modified it ......anyway it cant go back like it was and the auto parts places are closed now --can I leave the shoe out overnite till the stores open in the am and I can get new parts --I was going to wire the two pistons in in the actuator till tomorrow with some safety wire just to secure them in place so they dont fall out.
Original Poster [OP]
offctr
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: offctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • REAR DISC BRAKE KIT !!?? ( WEB SITE ) LINK
    by WRENCH-ED-NESS » November 4th 2020, 12:04am in Brakes
    5 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 16th 2020, 7:10pm
  • 98 Safari AWD brake line replacing
    by disloyalpick » June 5th 2020, 10:55pm in Brakes
    0 Replies
    Last post by disloyalpick View the latest post
    June 5th 2020, 10:55pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 3:26pm

Re: Rear brake shoe question--kinda an emergency

Postby Astrofarian » March 13th 2015, 3:37am

Are you talking about the "pistons" (cups) in the wheel cylinders? Or is this a disc-brake rear end? Here or shop talk...someone can help you, I'm sure.
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby zzimmer3 » March 13th 2015, 3:55am

One completely redneck way is to crimp off the rubber hose to the rear brakes so they won't work and damage anything else. I've use a tiny set of vise grips on the rubber hose from the frame to the rear end when one of my brake lines broke (rusted more specifically) so I could drive home.
1994 2wd, 1998 2wd, 2000 awd, 2001 awd
zzimmer3
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zzimmer3 has been a member for 6 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 6 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 6 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 6 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 6 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): teddybear
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby chevymaher » March 13th 2015, 4:22am

Don't wire the wheel cylinder bad idea. The hydraulic pressure will rip anything you put there apart. Then it will pump the rear brake fluid out.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Astrofarian » March 13th 2015, 4:27am

chevymaher wrote:Don't wire the wheel cylinder bad idea. The hydraulic pressure will rip anything you put there apart. Then it will pump the rear brake fluid out.

:text-yeahthat:
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby offctr [OP] » March 13th 2015, 5:50am

Not the wheel cylinder --this is a disc rear end the little pistons on the cam thinngy that amke the parking brake shoe spread.
The parking brake is strictly mechanical the regular rear brakes are hydraulic. Anyway I couldnt wait --didnt see what it would hurt overnite as long as I dont use the parking brake the two little pistons just ride the cam so I took em out --they come it the hardware kit anyway. Gonna get new shoes and hardware in the morning for the parking brake for now the rears have new rotors and pads and are working good. the e-brake design on the disc rears leaves a lot to be desired. I dont want to run without it normally but it looks like a PITA to keep working and adjusted.
Original Poster [OP]
offctr
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: offctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full yearsoffctr has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby offctr [OP] » March 22nd 2015, 3:11am

Soory to let this fester so long -long week at work-but it was fine leaving the parking brake parts out --they wernt doing anything anyway..I just wasnt sure 100% they would not cause some kind of problem with the regular brakes. Anyway the next day I got the new dust shields and parking brake shoes and hardware and got it all back together the right way. Like I said not the best design but I guess
worth it for the disc rear---it is much nicer than doing drum brakes thats for sure !
Original Poster [OP]
offctr
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):