Thought I found my leak

Thought I found my leak

Postby xit [OP] » August 5th 2015, 6:14pm

Thought I found my leak at first, wrong. I have really found it now, right above the gas tank, yup. Do you need to drop the tank or is there a work around. Do you replace the entire line or can you splice it somehow. Getting to old for this $h** :shrug:

Thanks
Possibly Natures most perfect food, good beef jerky and cold beer......
Original Poster [OP]
xit
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: xit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 66
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Conversion

Re: Thought I found my leak

Postby zzimmer3 » August 5th 2015, 6:29pm

Replace the whole line. I worked around mine without dropping the tank.
1994 2wd, 1998 2wd, 2000 awd, 2001 awd
zzimmer3
Years of Membership: zzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA): teddybear
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby zzimmer3 » August 5th 2015, 6:42pm

I did mine without dropping the tank, but i'll say it may be better getting everything out of the way and putting it in the right holders, and removing the old line, but I really didn't have the time, the old line is still sitting in place. I wouldn't try and save any of the line, its more of a pain trying to flare and cut under there, just go as far as you can either direction and install all new. good luck.
1994 2wd, 1998 2wd, 2000 awd, 2001 awd
zzimmer3
Years of Membership: zzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full yearszzimmer3 has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA): teddybear
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Astro Pop » August 5th 2015, 6:53pm

If it's a brake line that is leaking,don't mess around replace the whole line and check the others. If it corroded through from the inside you need to replace all of them and then very completely flush the system. You might check all wheel cylinders also. If something else blows out while you're driving the end result could be catastrophic and deadly. Something caused the leak and may still be eating away at the other lines. Again don't tempt fate!!! :auto-swerve: posting.php?mode=smilies&f=45&start=50#
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby Lumpy » August 5th 2015, 6:56pm

I haven't done it but it sure seems simpler and less expensive to just replace the whole line. The cost of the tools to do the flare are more than the tubing with nuts already attached. And either way it'll cost a simple brake bleed.

If you do leave your old line in place, I'd suggest crimping and folding over a couple times. If brake fluid weeps out of the old tubing it might end up on a painted surface. It will eat paint, yours or the person's behind you.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby ihatemybike » August 5th 2015, 7:26pm

Do it right, drop the tank and replace the whole line. While you're in there check the condition of the fuel lines and if you haven't done it yet install a new ACDelco/Delphi fuel pump.

It sucks to have to drop the tank more than once in a year. :banghead:
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86
ihatemybike
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » August 5th 2015, 7:33pm

ihatemybike wrote:Do it right, drop the tank and replace the whole line. While you're in there check the condition of the fuel lines and if you haven't done it yet install a new ACDelco/Delphi fuel pump.

This ^^^ is the most sensible approach. Also replace the vacuum/evap hoses that live up under there. All the stuff that's accessed when the tank is down.

Do that tank drop, fuel pump thing on YOUR terms. When your tank is nearly empty, when it's at home, when the weather is appropriate. Much better that way than on the side of the road outside a crack house in 112 degree weather.

Not that I've ever been in that situation... :whistle:

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » August 5th 2015, 7:55pm

Those crack houses aren't hard to find near Lumpy :) I can't say that I have ever stopped at a gas station in Arizona without someone coming up to me and asking me for money.

Drop the tank and give yourself room to work, it's really not hard to drop the tank.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby xit [OP] » August 5th 2015, 9:33pm

AstroWill wrote:Those crack houses aren't hard to find near Lumpy :) I can't say that I have ever stopped at a gas station in Arizona without someone coming up to me and asking me for money.

Drop the tank and give yourself room to work, it's really not hard to drop the tank.

Sure nuff, I filled it up just yesterday, I may have to think this one over.
Original Poster [OP]
xit
Years of Membership: xit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » August 5th 2015, 11:47pm

I replaced mine without dropping the tank. We had just enough room to get the old line out, feed the new line through and clip it in place without dropping the tank.

Which was good because my hubby filled up the tank just before he got home, despite knowing he'd blown the line not long after leaving :roll:
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby ihatemybike » August 6th 2015, 12:56pm

Nice thing about replacing a pump before it doesn't work at all (some just go weak and won't start the vehicle) is that you can disconnect the flex fuel lines by the drive shaft and use the pump to empty the tank into a container.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
ihatemybike
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby xit [OP] » August 6th 2015, 6:34pm

What's the best approach? Take the old line off & go to an auto supply have them make one up or what? :shrug:
Original Poster [OP]
xit
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » August 6th 2015, 7:40pm

NAPA sells that alloy line that's hand bendable, connectors and flares already in place, in various lengths. You could remove the old and take it in. Or simply measure the old.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby xit [OP] » August 6th 2015, 9:24pm

Thanks Lumpy. I will remove the old line and take it with me but the 100 degree temp. with 80 percent humidity, it may take me a while.
Original Poster [OP]
xit
Alias (AKA):

Postby maximus7001 » August 17th 2015, 4:54pm

So the line by my tank blew. Might as well change all the lines. There appears to be 2 different sizes. Already have a bunch of 3/16" which appears to be the size of lines to the wheel cylinders. Is the main line by the tank a 1/4" line?
97 Safari SLT AWD
68 AMC Javelin SST
97 Honda Accord
maximus7001
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: maximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 400000km

Postby Leeann_93 » August 18th 2015, 2:55am

Yep, ¼" and 3/16".
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby redfury » August 18th 2015, 6:01am

Replaced mine with the hand bendable stuff...spliced in under the drivers seat. Brakes are great. But, replace all the brake fluid while you are at it, I bet it is very dark brown like mine was. Should be clear! If you find your brake bleeders are stuck, then you'll want to heat them up red hot, apply a wet towel and then loosen them..works like a charm and haven't had a broken bleeder since using this approach on stubborn ones. The cheap $60 map/oxy torch kit you can buy anywhere is what I have...you can braze with it if you need to.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby xit [OP] » August 18th 2015, 1:21pm

Just a follow up on this: I used the 1/4" PolyArmour brake line, that is some good stuff. The line will bend by hand but I did have a tubing bender so it was that much easier. No I did not drop the tank, instead, I went around it making a one piece line, any where it came close to an object I put a piece of split rubber hose & secured it with wire ties. No problem with the bleeders, the worked like new so I gravity bled the brakes and after about 15 minutes all was good. It has been several days since I completed the job, no leaks & the brakes are like they should be. My only suggestion would be to have a good set of line wrenches, other wrenches may work but line wrenches will not round off the line nuts, also a good double flare tool, it took me two tries to make a very nice double flare. :rockon: :rockon:
Original Poster [OP]
xit
Alias (AKA):

Postby ihatemybike » August 18th 2015, 1:36pm

I recently picked up a Cal-Van inline double flaring tool and OMG it makes creating flares sooooo much easier.

http://www.cal-vantools.com/p-162-autom ... -tool.aspx
Aaron

ihatemybike
Alias (AKA):

Postby xit [OP] » August 18th 2015, 2:45pm

That looks like a fine tool
Original Poster [OP]
xit
Alias (AKA):