brake lines

brake lines

Postby baily144 [OP] » August 13th 2015, 10:07pm

Hi

Iam going to be doing all new brake lines from the ABS pump to the flex hoses. I bought new flex hoses rather than fight with them two front and rear center. There is aluminum brake line but what size is the lines ...2 at front and from ABS to rear?
does the gas tank need to come down or can i route it another way ?

any other tips ?

2003 astro RWD cargo van
Original Poster [OP]
baily144
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: baily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 33
Alias (AKA): Alex
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Replaced all brake lines, removed ABS on a '91
    by icebrrg3rd » December 10th 2020, 12:43am in Brakes
    14 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    December 15th 2020, 2:35am
  • 2001 awd brake lines...
    by keith92ext » December 25th 2020, 7:32pm in Brakes
    5 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 27th 2020, 7:57am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 26th 2021, 10:41am

Re: brake lines

Postby RECox286 » August 13th 2015, 10:43pm

Do not use aluminum pipe for brake applications. Use steel, stainless steel or nickle/copper (IIRC).

The latter is something new, and can be easily bent w/o forming tools, which means by hand, and is

non corrosive, which means it will be the last time you will have to fool with it, once you have the

job done. Like stainless, n/c lives on the more expensive side of the tracks. In all cases, you will

need (if gen 2 is plumbed the same as my gen 1 trucks) 3/16, and 1/4 inch pipe for a complete job.

Also, you will want to have, at the least, a quality (not HF) double flaring kit and some pipe bending

tools, in order to have some ilk of originality to the outcome. The fuel tank will need to come down

only if you want to plumb the truck as it came from the factory. Most repairs and re piping will run

the pipe to the inboard of the fuel tank, making connections at original points in front of and behind

the tank, which leaves the original damaged pipe abandoned in place. I'm sure that others will

chime in before too long, so hold off doing anything for a few days while gathering more thoughts and

Uncle Bob

wisdom.
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby baily144 [OP] » August 14th 2015, 1:13am

Thanks alot.....ok are the lines from the abs pump to the wheels 1/4 inch? which ones are 3/16?
Original Poster [OP]
baily144
Years of Membership: baily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full yearsbaily144 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 33
Alias (AKA): Alex
Van Model Year: 2003

Postby markmitch » August 14th 2015, 1:42am

just one more note-if you live in an area that gets snow and salted roads it won't hurt to paint those lines too prior to install. I am in California but I am originally from Maine and I installed new (supposedly ) rust proof lines on my 4x4 truck and 2 years later I had to replace them again due to rust. SO I bought rustolium black paint and painted all the lines prior to replacing and 6 years later sold the truck with no rust on them replaced lines. If you choose to do this hit the lines with 200 grit sand paper first so the paint sticks better. Papa Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby xit » August 14th 2015, 12:58pm

If you use the Ployarmour brake lines, there is no need to paint them as they are already coated. http://agscompany.com/product-category/ ... ly-armour/

This product will bend by hand and will easily accept a double flare, I know this as I just replaced the rear lines on my 94 Astro, this is an excellent product. :rockon: :rockon:
Possibly Natures most perfect food, good beef jerky and cold beer......
xit
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: xit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full yearsxit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 66
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: Conversion