Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

brake lines

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  xit 
#1 ·
Hi

Iam going to be doing all new brake lines from the ABS pump to the flex hoses. I bought new flex hoses rather than fight with them two front and rear center. There is aluminum brake line but what size is the lines ...2 at front and from ABS to rear?
does the gas tank need to come down or can i route it another way ?

any other tips ?

2003 astro RWD cargo van

#2 ·
Do not use aluminum pipe for brake applications. Use steel, stainless steel or nickle/copper (IIRC).

The latter is something new, and can be easily bent w/o forming tools, which means by hand, and is

non corrosive, which means it will be the last time you will have to fool with it, once you have the

job done. Like stainless, n/c lives on the more expensive side of the tracks. In all cases, you will

need (if gen 2 is plumbed the same as my gen 1 trucks) 3/16, and 1/4 inch pipe for a complete job.

Also, you will want to have, at the least, a quality (not HF) double flaring kit and some pipe bending

tools, in order to have some ilk of originality to the outcome. The fuel tank will need to come down

only if you want to plumb the truck as it came from the factory. Most repairs and re piping will run

the pipe to the inboard of the fuel tank, making connections at original points in front of and behind

the tank, which leaves the original damaged pipe abandoned in place. I'm sure that others will

chime in before too long, so hold off doing anything for a few days while gathering more thoughts and

Uncle Bob

wisdom.

#4 ·
just one more note-if you live in an area that gets snow and salted roads it won't hurt to paint those lines too prior to install. I am in California but I am originally from Maine and I installed new (supposedly ) rust proof lines on my 4x4 truck and 2 years later I had to replace them again due to rust. SO I bought rustolium black paint and painted all the lines prior to replacing and 6 years later sold the truck with no rust on them replaced lines. If you choose to do this hit the lines with 200 grit sand paper first so the paint sticks better. Papa Mark

#5 ·
If you use the Ployarmour brake lines, there is no need to paint them as they are already coated. http://agscompany.com/product-category/ ... ly-armour/

This product will bend by hand and will easily accept a double flare, I know this as I just replaced the rear lines on my 94 Astro, this is an excellent product. :rockon: :rockon:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.