low pedal, ABS issues

low pedal, ABS issues

Postby CoasterCoaster is online! [OP] » October 24th 2015, 5:31pm

my brakes have never been right. they are better now than they ever have been but they still arent right. right now it stops well and does not pull even when stomping on the brakes from 75 to 0 but the pedal travels too far and feels weird (not really spongy but not firm either). i can feel the rears engage when i first press the pedal, then further pressing engages the fronts. then i have to press "quite a bit further" to begin stopping. the van stops fine but the pedal is low.

when i bought the van i could hear grinding in the rear brakes under heavy braking. more on this later. also the ABS went off all the time because the rears were not working right.

prior to this year i replaced the front rotors, calipers, pads, hoses. these were worn but nowhere near needing replaced except for the hoses, those were poor. i had a bearing get eaten and just did all of it since i had it apart. at that time i did not fix the rears as i was planning on replacing the entire axle. brakes were "ok" but stopping the trailer resulted in grinding sounds from the rear.

recently i redid the rears (drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, springs). i also did the pinion seal, new gear oil, and clamshells. the odd thing is that there was no wear on the drums or shoes. none. the shoes had the same amount of material as the new ones, and there was no lip on the inside of the drum. no evidence of what caused grinding under heavy braking. backing plates did not have score marks where the shoes ride. :shrug: someone had replaced the shoes on the drivers side at some point. i know the rears are working now as the ABS has never gone off since i replaced all that (there are a few intersections i could guarantee it would cycle, train tracks dirt on road etc) not a peep from the BS except for its self test when you drive off.

i bled all the lines and replaced all the fluid. three times. no air comes out anymore, just clean happy fluid. but the pedal is low and travels too far. it works but its not right. the 2500 express vans we have at work - touch the pedal and van stops NOW. very little travel at all and a lot of brake feel.

every once in a while i will hear a slight grind noise from the rear under heavy braking. very faint, and i cant predict when it will or wont happen. i would say 1 out of every 20 hard stops, and very faint. maybe normal?

master cyl seems normal and does not pump up (pedal does not get more firm and the level does not change)

i think i may have air in the 4WAL.

not sure what to do at this point, i dont think i can cycle the ABS without "dirt roading it"

anyone have advice as to how to proceed?
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
CoasterCoaster is online!
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 113
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Brake Pedal Shudder, Hard depress, low idle whine.
    by Zord » May 24th 2020, 8:14am in Brakes
    3 Replies
    Last post by augidogaugidog is online! View the latest post
    May 24th 2020, 3:11pm
  • 1992 Astro AWD ABS & brake light issues
    by pozo izquierdo » June 20th 2020, 11:26am in Brakes
    1 Replies
    Last post by doogaloo View the latest post
    June 20th 2020, 10:26pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    July 9th 2020, 2:32pm

Re: low pedal, ABS issues

Postby timothy47130 » October 27th 2015, 11:49am

You need to find a competent local shop that has the equipment to do a proper brake bleed procedure. Which will involve using a scan tool to cycle the abs while pressure bleeding the system. I just checked and labor time on the procedure is 2 hours Shops around me generally charge about $100 -$120 to do it. But it will be the best $100 you ever spent not to have to screw with it and to know its stopping like it should. That extra pedal travel could be the difference between being in an accident and avoiding an accident.
1998 chevy astro mark III conversion with 125,000 miles

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
rear lifted 1" with s-10 leafs
10,000 lb capacity transmission cooler
corvette 2nd gear servo
Trans-go SK4L60E shift kit

5.7 Vortec swap on the way
timothy47130
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: timothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Tim
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: mark III conversion

Postby AstroWill » October 28th 2015, 3:48am

timothy47130 wrote:But it will be the best $100 you ever spent

If that is the best $100 you have ever spent, I would venture to say your doing it wrong ;)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106

Postby CoasterCoaster is online! [OP] » November 14th 2015, 11:41pm

i had the rears adjusted wrong. i went back in and set them so they drag ever so slightly and then got a very firm pedal.

now i am experiencing a CLACK noise in the front brakes, i am 99 percent sure its the pads claking in the calipers, either riding on the pins or just sloppy. front brakes are new but the metal shim things fell out and since then it has make a CLACK sound.

i'm thinking of just buying these and shotgunning it.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/morein ... 5&jpid=111
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
CoasterCoaster is online!
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 113
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd