HOW I DISABLED my ABS (1995 SAFARI AWD)

HOW I DISABLED my ABS (1995 SAFARI AWD)

Postby thyubernoob [OP] » May 23rd 2008, 5:11am

Ok guys I have the answer to the question. How do I disable my ABS system. This is NOT the correct fix, but the cheapest for me!
I have a friend who is a fully certified mechanic get me the diagram for the ABS system for my 95 safari and we figured the best way to disable it is to cut the main power going to the ABS pump so heres a step by step of what I did.

1. Pull the battery out, disconnect the ground first then the positive.
2. The ABS control unit is under the master brake cylinder, follow the wiring harness from the unit up to behind where the battery was.
3. There you will see two plugs, one has about 4 or 5 small gauge wires, the other has one big red wire, this is the power wire for the ABS pump, unplug it
4. I wrapped it with electrical tape to keep out dirt and water.
5 Install battery in reverse order of removing it. (REMEMBER YOU NO LONGER HAVE ABS BRAKES NOW)
Now when I took it for a test ride it did take care of the problem I had with the ABS acting up when I was coming to a stop, but now the ABS light is on, so the next fix was a piece of electrical tape over the warning light...lol it works.....I did see online somewhere where you could install a diode in the plug so the computer thinks the ABS is still connected and the light won't come on, but thats another story......

Now my buddy said the correct fix is most likely that one or both of the front hubs with the sensors in them need to be replaced, but that cost money!..lol
So good luck, hope this helps for the guys who wanted to know!
Attachments
Camera Pictures 192.jpg
ABS unit, under master cylinder
Camera Pictures 193.jpg
follow wire harness up and behind where battery was.
Camera Pictures 196.jpg
These are the two plugs between the battery and the fender.
Camera Pictures 197.jpg
Unplug the one with the single RED wire.
Camera Pictures 199.jpg
I taped my plugs. And your all set!
REMEMBER THE ABS IS DISABLED NOW!
1995 Safari SLT AWD
Original Poster [OP]
thyubernoob
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: thyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • AWD Abs Module
    by Mberry0614 » December 14th 2020, 9:26pm in Brakes
    4 Replies
    Last post by Mberry0614 View the latest post
    December 15th 2020, 7:36pm
  • Blank off ABS port to f/r/h caliper to get 01 AWD van home
    by Astrojohn » February 18th 2021, 7:07am in Brakes
    7 Replies
    Last post by Astrojohn View the latest post
    February 19th 2021, 8:02am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 20th 2021, 6:33pm

Re: HOW I DISABLED my ABS (1995 SAFARI AWD)

Postby donalson » June 27th 2008, 12:08am

what exactly was wrong with your ABS system? (what was it doing?)

thanks
mark
donalson
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: donalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full yearsdonalson has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):

Postby thyubernoob [OP] » June 28th 2008, 4:14am

When I would get to around 8 or 9 mph when braking, the ABS would act strange and not brake correctly, almost rear ended someone . I was told it is most likely the abs wheel sensors, on my van there like $50 each plus labor, so this was the cheapest solution.
But the ABS light does stay on, fixed that with electrical tape :lol!:
1995 Safari SLT AWD
Original Poster [OP]
thyubernoob
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: thyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full yearsthyubernoob has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby HeresPaco » July 7th 2008, 9:21am

It sounds like you may have the very typical GM rusty front sensor mounting area or an actual bad front sensor. Cleaning the mounting surface underneith the sensors often fixes the issue. It fixed mine on the Safari and also my Yukon last year. :banana:

Anyway.. On to my big question...... On the later years awd vans disabling the abs also disables the awd as the two systems share the transfer case rear driveshaft speed sensor. Apparently the abs & awd control modules talk to each other. I know on my 2001 the awd will not engage if the abs light is on for any reason or if I disabled abs by pulling the fuse. The abs has to be working to have the awd work.

I wish I could find out how to disable the abs alone and keep the awd working! :cussing:
RT
NY Finger Lakes
01 Safari awd SLT, 99 K1500 GMC Suburban SLT
"..you're right Honey, the portable bar and that Donations can does make for free campin'!"
HeresPaco
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: HeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full yearsHeresPaco has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): R/T
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby timelessbeing » August 30th 2008, 8:23pm

You and I both, HeresPaco.

Maybe it's a mechanical solution rather than electrical, to physically disengage the ABS pump from the brake system. That way the electronics will be unaffected meanwhile no actual anti-locking action is being done.

Ideally, I would like to have a way to switch ABS on-the-fly, because it is useful in SOME situations.
2000 Astro AWD Passenger
4.3L CSFI V6 • 3.73 G80 • 4" OV lift • 30" AT tires
timelessbeing
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: timelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Lifted AWD 4.3

Postby toddb » September 11th 2008, 4:43am

I have a 2WD and have thought more than once to disable ABS (not sure whether I like it or not) and was going to just pull the fuse - haven't done it as ABS is good in a panic - though I don't really like it in the snow, but use it to max in the slick stuff anyhow. :driving:
1997 Safari 2WD 3:73 locking. 300,000 km - almost full load.
2000 Safari AWD 3:73 locking. 275,000 km - Full load.
toddb
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: toddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full yearstoddb has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby bkzxclusive » December 22nd 2008, 9:17am

i've got the same prob, and still havnt fixed it also bcuz of the price it cost to fix, but it i knew the sensors were only 50 i wouldve replaced them just to get that out of the way but, i keep seeing them for bout 100 and up a piece so i ddidnt bother, great post, i also wanted to knw how to disable the abs. my ABS kicks in at bout 5mph almost rear end ppl everyday but ive learned how to control it, the weird thing is that my abs and brake light come on after bout 10min of stop n go driving, but my AWD still works with the abs light on!!weird or common for this prob??? :confused:
2000 ASTRO AWD
bkzxclusive
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: bkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » December 22nd 2008, 4:49pm

Correct me if I"m wrong, but the AWD on a 95, is always AWD. There is no switch or lever to switch from 2WD to AWD. You can remove a halfshaft and make it 2WD. That's the difference between 4WD and AWD. 4WD you can turn on and off, AWD is always AWD.

I can only speak for 95s and a 93 I worked on. If the newer ones had that feature, please let me know.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby thyubernoob [OP] » December 22nd 2008, 5:05pm

My 1995 has AWD full time, no switch.
Also removing the half shafts, I dont believe will save you that much gas because your still turning the gears in the transfer case and front diff. :2:
1995 Safari SLT AWD
Original Poster [OP]
thyubernoob
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » December 22nd 2008, 5:12pm

thyubernoob wrote:My 1995 has AWD full time, no switch.
Also removing the half shafts, I dont believe will save you that much gas because your still turning the gears in the transfer case and front diff. :2:

I don't recommend removing the halfshaft(s), I only stated that as a means to an end. Actually, you can save gas by removing the halfshaft to the front differential. It's not the fact that the gears are still spinning, its how power is being transferred though the drivetrain. An AWD drivetrain has more parasitic draw that a 2WD drivetrain. That is, every friction spot (joint, meshing of gears, universals, etc) creates more parasitic draw. That means that an AWD system requires more power to operate than a 2WD setup.

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby DRZ » December 22nd 2008, 5:20pm

It's amazing what one can "learn" on these forums.
DRZ
Dearly Departed
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Postby bkzxclusive » December 22nd 2008, 6:30pm

I was reading sumwhere, i cant remember i think it was in this forum site that my 2000 AWD system is an "On Demand" system, meaning it uses my front wheels when the bak wheels ask for assistance, not sure if this is tru, i would lik to kno the truth!
2000 ASTRO AWD
bkzxclusive
Years of Membership: bkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full yearsbkzxclusive has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » December 22nd 2008, 6:34pm

I've heard people say that before but I have never been able to verify it. All of my information says nothing about it being an "on demand" setup. And the newest AWD van I have worked on is a 95 so that really doesn't help. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the issue.

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby bkzxclusive » December 22nd 2008, 7:02pm

Hey i did some research and found this small article, hopefully it answers our confusions!!

"The 1999 Astro van enters this model year with few changes. New for 1999 are a number of refinements. An available roof console with a trip computer provides fuel economy, trip range, fuel used and elapsed time for traveling. The previous all-wheel-drive system has been replaced with a new state-of-the art system with an active transfer case which will allow the Astro to normally operate in two-wheel-drive until it senses slipping and will immediately transfer torque to the front wheels. Medium Charcoal Gray Metallic and Medium Bronzemist Metallic are two new exterior colors for 1999. The Max and LT packages were introduced this year to simplify the model lineup. Also new this year, are running boards to ease entry and exit."
2000 ASTRO AWD
bkzxclusive
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » December 22nd 2008, 8:56pm

Cool, where did you find that at?

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby Black89cs » December 23rd 2008, 12:39am

I know with my 89 the ABS box is unplugged. I asked the guy why it was like that and he said it was so the ABS light wouldn't come on. I left it off since I'm not used to ABS anyway. I figure it works fine, leave it alone.
Black89cs
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Black89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA):

Postby bkzxclusive » December 23rd 2008, 2:20am

i googled Chevy Astro ABS system, but i cant remember which link it was!!!srry
2000 ASTRO AWD
bkzxclusive
Alias (AKA):

Postby timelessbeing » December 23rd 2008, 8:04pm

bkzxclusive is correct.

Since '99, when the AWD controller senses rear-wheel slip, the motor in the transfer case engages a clutch that sends power to the front wheels. Works wonders in snow! ;)
2000 Astro AWD Passenger
4.3L CSFI V6 • 3.73 G80 • 4" OV lift • 30" AT tires
timelessbeing
Years of Membership: timelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Lifted AWD 4.3

Postby chemist » February 27th 2009, 5:05am

HeresPaco wrote:...I know on my 2001 the awd will not engage if the abs light is on for any reason or if I disabled abs by pulling the fuse. The abs has to be working to have the awd work.

I wish I could find out how to disable the abs alone and keep the awd working!

That's odd. On my 2003 AWD van, pulling the fuse results in the brake and ABS lights coming on, but the AWD works fine--or at least as well as the newer AWD works, which means it kicks at inopportune moments... :banghead: One other real issue is that it's impossible to get the van inspected with the idiot lights for the brake system on...

There's something else I'd like to point out. You're modifying the brake system by disabling a component of it. If you get into an accident like that and someone is seriously injured or killed you could be on heck of a legal bind.
2003 Chevy Astro, AWD, 124,000 mi

a must read
chemist
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: chemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full yearschemist has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):

Postby thyubernoob [OP] » March 16th 2009, 1:46am

chemist wrote:
HeresPaco wrote:...I know on my 2001 the awd will not engage if the abs light is on for any reason or if I disabled abs by pulling the fuse. The abs has to be working to have the awd work.

I wish I could find out how to disable the abs alone and keep the awd working!

That's odd. On my 2003 AWD van, pulling the fuse results in the brake and ABS lights coming on, but the AWD works fine--or at least as well as the newer AWD works, which means it kicks at inopportune moments... :banghead: One other real issue is that it's impossible to get the van inspected with the idiot lights for the brake system on...

There's something else I'd like to point out. You're modifying the brake system by disabling a component of it. If you get into an accident like that and someone is seriously injured or killed you could be on heck of a legal bind.

I see what your saying about the legal side of it, but! It was very dangerous the way it was. I would hit the brakes and it was just hard pedal and then it would just pulse very hard and wouldnt stop, almost rear ended the car in front me and like most folks on here I can't afford a nice size mechanic bill! thx
1995 Safari SLT AWD
Original Poster [OP]
thyubernoob
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Next