HOW I DISABLED my ABS (1995 SAFARI AWD)

Re: HOW I DISABLED my ABS (1995 SAFARI AWD)

Postby Bis » September 19th 2011, 8:37pm

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... nk#MSG1681

I have a 99 Chev astro With 90k miles.On December 1st there was light snow and ice on the road and I was coming towards an intersection at very slow speeds when the va
n slipped on the ice and went out of control . I nearly missed a car in the intersection, and skidded around until I crashed into a chain link fence on a lawn in front of a house. Thank heavens I am OK and no one was on the sidewalk, but I got the scare of my life.I noticed that when I braked the pedal was pulsating and spongy, and there was a humming noise with a tapping sound. I immediatley suspected the ABS so my mechanic couldnt find anything wrong. He disconnected the ABS Fuse.Since then the brakes work well, but I wanted the ABS to kick in in case of snow.I reconnected the ABS Fuse and the Humming and tapping and spongy brakes have returned intermittetly even on Dry surfaces. I am afraid to run it in Ice and rain now.
✔ Recovering 3-Time ex-Aerostar owner since 1996.
✔ RC Hobbyist and Dance music nut.
✔ Geeky Astroholic.
ツ Glad to be of help! ツ

Bis
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Bis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full yearsBis has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bis
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • AWD Abs Module
    by Mberry0614 » December 14th 2020, 9:26pm in Brakes
    4 Replies
    Last post by Mberry0614 View the latest post
    December 15th 2020, 7:36pm
  • Blank off ABS port to f/r/h caliper to get 01 AWD van home
    by Astrojohn » February 18th 2021, 7:07am in Brakes
    7 Replies
    Last post by Astrojohn View the latest post
    February 19th 2021, 8:02am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 20th 2021, 6:58pm

Postby Phantom » September 19th 2011, 9:12pm

From the link you posted

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... nk#MSG1681

I had the same problem (See my post) and had a diagnostics done by GM. Needless to say they wanted an arm and a leg to replace what they said was a faulty Transfer case motor. That would be $ 700.00 with labor. Since they tried to fleece me on a fuel pump, I went to e-bay and got a Transfer case Motor for a $ 100.00 and will install it myself. Before going that far though, make sure the wiring plug to the transfer case is not loose or corroded. I understand that 80% of the time, thats the problem.
Good Luck!
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » November 18th 2011, 2:16pm

Well there ice on that spot in the street.Where the water runs out of a yard.Is 4 foot wide halfway down the street.One wheel gets on it and BRRRR no brakes.So I have three choices.Stop halfway down the street before stop sign,Drive completely in the wrong lane like I did last year.Or just unhook the stupid thing.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Phantom » November 18th 2011, 3:52pm

Choice # 4 ,, get it fixed correctly , ..the no-cost way is to disable it

Like anything else if it not functioning properly , it gonna be a problem

My car is a blessing to have anti-lock brakes , especially on ice and slippery roads , without ABS if you hit the brake pedal the brakes engage until to let off pedal , which can cause sliding on ice , so you have to manually brake , let off,.. brake,.. let off pedal,.. brake,.. let off , over and over to prevent the wheels from locking up and sliding ..

Many times there just is not enough pavement between you and the next car in front of you to do it manually .....the best way , the safest way to control and steer a car on ice is for the wheels to be turning , not skidding , you can gain control of a car with the wheels turning , but not a car that is skidding , a car that is skidding is just out of control , even trying to steer it can get out of control because in order to control it the wheels have to be turning .
Either disable 100% or fix it 100% , but not having it fixed 100% and only half way working is asking for trouble , if you can not afford to get it fixed properly , pull the fuse , but when it is fixed properly it is way better than non abs braking . :D
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » November 18th 2011, 4:04pm

Okay what is wrong with it.One wheel on ice and all 4 dont work.
Last edited by chevymaher on November 18th 2011, 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Phantom » November 18th 2011, 4:24pm

chevymaher wrote:Okay is what is wrong with it.One wheel on ice and all 4 dont work.

What does don't work mean? brakes not engaging?

I can look some things up in the manuals , but more specifics are needed , how do you know which wheels are engaging and which are not, ?
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » November 18th 2011, 4:31pm

When the ABS engages.All wheels only have as much braking ability as the wheel losing traction.So instead of one wheel on ice it acts like all are on ice.So it has brakes just not enough to stop before intersection.Without ABS it would still stop on a dime with three wheels on dry pavement.I gotta run errands now.So I be gone a couple hours.I appreciate any help resolving this.I would like it to work say like my moms pathfinder.Then it would be awsome.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Phantom » November 18th 2011, 4:47pm

Ok , it kinda sounds like abs module not reading signal correctly, kind of like when a sensor goes bad, like the PCM does when other sensors go bad.
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » November 18th 2011, 7:08pm

It is pulsing all wheels not just the one without traction.Which is different than other cars I have driven with ABS.I am not finding any manuals or information for this vans ABS online.First step for me is learn how system designed to work.Then I can diagnose what is going wrong.I am just thinking this is the way it supposed to work.If I could find a diagram showing mechanical internal parts to see if the lines are controlled independently or in unison.This would tell the tale.On older systems I have found where I could get information.If the MPH difference is over a set limit between any wheels.It engages all wheels until that differential is achieved.If one wheel is stopping as on ice the differential is way over the limit.Even pulsing a brake on a tire that on ice will not catch its speed up to the other dry pavement tires.See where I going with this.It may be the way it works.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Phantom » November 18th 2011, 7:43pm

There are two main types of modern ABS systems: three and four channel.
Three channel systems control the braking pressure on both front wheels independently, but control the rear wheels together as a single unit.
Four channel systems control the brake force on each wheel independently (assuming you're in a four wheeled vehicle).
In three channel systems, although both rear wheels are monitored by sensors, if wheel lock is detected on a single wheel the hydraulic braking pressure is reduced equally on both wheels.
This does not provide the level of control of a four channel system, and as such three channel versions are compromised and usually only fitted to cars to save on cost. Most modern cars now use a four channel ABS systems which provide greater safety in emergency braking conditions.
Unfortunately from what I have seen , our vans have a 3 channel system where the rear wheels are 1 channel and each front wheel is 1 channel each , I am going to verify this through part numbers
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » November 18th 2011, 7:54pm

Sweet now we getting some where.So it is malfunctioning for some reason and applying to all wheels.I can live with 3 channel if it would work.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Phantom » November 18th 2011, 10:01pm

Well this is going to be getting deep to find out details , seems that there are different versions for different years , Gen1 is different than Gen2 to start with . It seems that on Gen1 the vehicle PCM handles all the electrical stuff , and there is a hydraulic valve that connects to all wheels , that valve can get dirty and not operate smoothly on all wheels , if some fluid passages get dirty then they will not pass as much fluid as other passages and result in uneven fluid pressures to different wheels ,
Then there is the case of parts , in trying to verify parts . according to a parts list for a 94 they are listed for a 4 wheel abs , but according to a GM parts guy the 94 did not have rear wheels abs , as the listing he had showed that rear abs on 94 was only on vans exported out of the USA . not on any USA vans . 90-93 had rear abs but different part numbers , this is going to take some days to get it all sorted out as to what really has what . In your case , in order to find out what is on your van you will need to get your VIN number and contact a dealer , have them pull up a build sheet to find out exactly what is on your van. Think it would be best to go into a dealer and have them pull it up on the computer , then ask them to give you a printout , that way you have a permanent record of it for future references,, It also seems that there is a manual way to get abs codes without a scanner , I'll post how a little later , gonna get something to eat in a minute ......
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » November 18th 2011, 10:14pm

Sweet thanks Phantom.I will get the dealer vin check to see what it really should have.That will have to be next week when I in that part of town.It been like this forever so take your time.I appreciate the help.
Edit.This is what came up on the vin search from comp 9 before it shut down.I had it saved in a notepad.In my van folder in computer.I will still get the dealer search if needed.
JM4 BRAKE SYSTEM,POWER FRONT DISC,REAR DRUM,ANTI-LOCK(CAST IRON) ANTILOCK DISC/DRUM BRK(JM4)
ReEdit Looked and all brake lines run through proportioning valve then anti-lock brake system.one for front,one in one out.must tee into both front lines back under the body near engine.One for rear same deal.Appears to be 2 separate valves by shape of case.one for front and one for rear.front line being larger diameter than rear, same as master cylinder outlets.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby ehbrown1 » November 18th 2011, 11:34pm

Disabling ABS units are both against the law and hazardous to your health. Any reputable inspection mechanic will not pass the vehicle if that light is on. It is on for a reason, there is a malfunction in the system which needs attention. If somehow you actually get someone to overlook this dumb move, you had better hope that you never get in an accident and injure anyone. You disabled a safety feature of your vehicle and intentionally drove it that way. Same implications of disabling an airbag. Sure, you can physically do it, but an extremely BAD idea. Parts are not cheap by any means, but what is the liability worth to you?
ehbrown1
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: ehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full yearsehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full yearsehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full yearsehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full yearsehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full yearsehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full yearsehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full yearsehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full yearsehbrown1 has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » November 18th 2011, 11:51pm

Something I recall is ,, on the 94 3 channel system is that there are only 3 sensors , one at each front wheel , and the VSS in the tranny is used for the rear wheels , If you have a different size tires on the rear than the front the ABS system is getting readings of different rpms from the rear than the front , the system would try to apply different pressures as a result , add to that if passages in the valve unit are dirty , the ABS would be like a drunken driver
:obscene-drinkingdrunk: :confusion-seeingstars:
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » November 19th 2011, 3:35am

ehbrown1 wrote:Disabling ABS units are both against the law and hazardous to your health. Any reputable inspection mechanic will not pass the vehicle if that light is on. It is on for a reason, there is a malfunction in the system which needs attention. If somehow you actually get someone to overlook this dumb move, you had better hope that you never get in an accident and injure anyone. You disabled a safety feature of your vehicle and intentionally drove it that way. Same implications of disabling an airbag. Sure, you can physically do it, but an extremely BAD idea. Parts are not cheap by any means, but what is the liability worth to you?

Okay there is no inspection here.The light is not on,and ABS is working the way it should.It would pass inspection where you are. And it has no brakes if one wheel loses traction.and it is perfectly legal the way it is.That is stupid.There is no liability as you speak of here. I live in a free state not a communist regime.I could cut out the entire floor pan.Run a tube frame with a blown 672Ci engine.All I need to be legal is head lights,tail lights,brake lights,any brake of my choosing at all.And one line of tread on each side of my rear slicks.one seat with a seat belt.A title from a not stolen van or a referee certificate of a kit build.insurance and tags.Being in an accident because of a poorly designed system that will pass in your state is truely idiotic.When I can have actual brakes that work when I put them on.This is my first ever vehicle I have owned with ABS.I am 50 years old only driven a vehicle without ABS all my life.And NEVER had an accident that was my fault in the laws eyes.Can you say that.I can drive. I want brakes that work.Go ahead and try to sue me see if I am liable.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby chevymaher » November 19th 2011, 3:41am

Phantom wrote:Something I recall is ,, on the 94 3 channel system is that there are only 3 sensors , one at each front wheel , and the VSS in the tranny is used for the rear wheels , If you have a different size tires on the rear than the front the ABS system is getting readings of different rpms from the rear than the front , the system would try to apply different pressures as a result , add to that if passages in the valve unit are dirty , the ABS would be like a drunken driver
:obscene-drinkingdrunk: :confusion-seeingstars:

Okay back to reality.I will look harder to see if there are lines coming out of the rear of it.All I saw was 2 in, one front and one rear line, and 2 out same front and rear.And I have 290/50/15s all the way around for tires.I will trace all my brake lines and positively see where they run.A brake flush may be in order.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Phantom » November 19th 2011, 4:49am

A brake fluid flush is a very good idea ,
Attachments
94 Astro brakes.png
94 Astro brakes.png (20.68 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » November 19th 2011, 5:03am

Thanks Phantom.I copied it to my van folder for future reference.I can see now this is going to be like my oil pressure issue was.Take a month of sundays to straighten out. :icon-rolleyes: :angry-banghead:
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Ambush » November 19th 2011, 5:39am

chevymaher wrote:
Phantom wrote:Something I recall is ,, on the 94 3 channel system is that there are only 3 sensors , one at each front wheel , and the VSS in the tranny is used for the rear wheels ........And I have 290/50/15s all the way around for tires.I will trace all my brake lines and positively see where they run.A brake flush may be in order.

I'm having ABS problems on my '95 to. I haven't done much about it right now, but one thing I did read in the factory manual was that if you change tire size from the factory size, you MUST change the speed sensor module AND recalibrate another one. If not, it will affect the ABS. I'll look up the other module. I beleive you need the GM DVM for the recalibration.
Ambush
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Ambush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full yearsAmbush has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext