Switch to full site
Lets talk about brakes and brake performance. Disc, drum, anti-lock brakes(ABS). Discuss brake components like the pads, rotors, calipers, shoes. Pads can be ceramic, metallic, or other. Rotors can be standard, cross-drilled, or slotted.
Post a reply

Rear brakes- Shearing the liner off the shoe

January 14th 2016, 7:51pm

I have a 2001 Astro with 300k miles. I recently purchased it for commercial use (newspaper delivery). One evening the passenger rear brake locked up. Upon inspection it had sheared the rivets holding the composite to the steel "shoe". The thickness of the material was comparable to the new parts I replaced it with. (I also replaced the drum.) So I blamed it on defective product. ..... Fast forward , less than 30 days later it has done it again same side -same symptoms. I checked the axle for bearing play and it seems to be within the norm.... Any advice?

Re: Rear brakes- Shearing the liner off the shoe

January 14th 2016, 11:37pm

What brand brake shoes?

Wagner are the OE type and made a huge difference in mine. Most LAPS carry them but you got to order them. Because they are pushing their brand. And they are alot more expensive. But you get what you pay for especially in this case.
Post a reply