Stock drum question.

Stock drum question.

Postby Sailing_Faith [OP] » January 19th 2016, 9:22pm

Just mounted my new tires (Long Trail TAs in 235/70-15, nothing fancy)...

Shop said my rear shoes were "at 1" no explanation as to what that ment. :geek:

So I picked up some shoes at Napa and will swap them out this week. The price quoted was $460! When I questioned it I was told it included new drums because ours are disposable and have thin linings that are only good for one set of shoes.

The drums are $69 each, have not checked rock auto yet. I will of course check them when I am in there, but if others agree w the shop (Big 'O' tires) I will source them before I start the job.

Do our stock drums have a thin lining? Is this an automTic replacement on our vans?

I normally only turn or replace drums if I feel a pulse in the pedal or if I see uneven wear (like rivet wear).

Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2003 GMC Safari, AWD, Combination Valve Question
    by Telegraph » June 19th 2020, 8:24pm in Brakes
    0 Replies
    Last post by Telegraph View the latest post
    June 19th 2020, 8:24pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 6:35pm

Re: Stock drum question.

Postby chevymaher » January 19th 2016, 10:00pm

The hardened metal inside it to thin to turn on new drums. They are basically junk from the start now. That aside.

I paid less than 150 bucks for drums rotors and shoes. Now I did get wagner shoes after that which were 80 bucks all by themselves front and back.

I dont replace them either unless they are warped or have damage from rivets or rusting.

Hell go to Firestone they will give you new ball joints whether you need them or not. I think that is kinda what going on here. Replace it all or they wont talk to you. Ain't got time to diagnose and don't know how anyway. Got a tick in the engine from a loose rocker arm. Just get a new engine guys. The new computer mechanics. Better and easier.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby markmitch » January 19th 2016, 10:08pm

not true- I personally think turning a drum or a rotor is kind of a scam unless they have grooves or damage to them. Think about it: they say they need to be done because of a glazing? yet if you turn them and install new pads/shoes , then use your brakes don't they just get glazed again? sounds like a scam to me. On the drum front there should be a number that says at what stage they can't be turned. same as on a disc brake rotor. Some say that if the drum looks and feels (to the touch) good to you then take the new shoes and lay them into the drums to see if it is sitting even contact to contact if not they need to be turned to make it even. ( I just read that on a brakes site) Hope I helped. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby chevymaher » January 19th 2016, 10:18pm

If they are glazed. You stop like a sissy to much. Riding with your foot on the brake not really stopping. Wait till your are really ready to stop and then put on the brake. Stomp the brake occasionally and cut it off of it. Just get off the freeway and slow down hard on the ramp.

Some 100 grit sandpaper and just scuff the surface and the glaze is gone. Once it is dry looking metal and not shiny it is good.

Pedal pulse is usually glazing. Cheap pads glaze faster also.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby markmitch » January 19th 2016, 10:34pm

I am just a backyard self taught guy that does not work on anyone's vehicles but my own. whereas chevy does it for a living so don't mind my post much. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby chevymaher » January 19th 2016, 10:47pm

markmitch wrote:I am just a backyard self taught guy that does not work on anyone's vehicles but my own. whereas chevy does it for a living so don't mind my post much. Mark

LOL I still a back yard guy and always was in the day to. I just took a test and got a patch. I know no more no less than before I got the little paper and patch.

Just something that says yea he been doing this a while reckon.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Lumpy » January 20th 2016, 6:34am

I don't have either drums or rotors turned. They're so cheap that I simply replace them. I suppose I could spend 2-3 times as much and get better drums or rotors, then spend another XX to get them turned when needed. But It ends up being less expensive to just buy new, cheap ones.

I do have bearing races pressed in when I buy new rotors. I don't use the ones that come with the rotors. Part of that is I get to go to my machinist's home while he does the work. He entertains me with stories of the Korean war and other recent history.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo