Brake Problems

Brake Problems

Postby wboyne3 [OP] » November 26th 2010, 12:52am

On Monday a driver had cut me off and I had to slam on my brakes. The ABS kicked in and then the brake light came on and I almost coasted through the intersection. That little incident caused the steel brake line heading to the rear to break where it was rusted. Got the van back yesterday but got it after the shop was closed. Drove it home today and the pedal is very soft and when I push the brake pedal down with a little more force the brake light comes back on the dash. I can then press the brake firm again and the light will go off. What is causing this? I crawled under and the line is not leaking. could it be something in the Master Cylinder? I noticed seaping on the Master Cylinder on Monday. Any insight would be great.
235,000 miles and running strong.
Original Poster [OP]
wboyne3
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: wboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA): PeeWee
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • REAR DISC BRAKE KIT !!?? ( WEB SITE ) LINK
    by WRENCH-ED-NESS » November 4th 2020, 12:04am in Brakes
    5 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 16th 2020, 7:10pm
  • Brake proportioning valve how do you reset
    by Mpoynter » November 5th 2020, 7:19pm in Brakes
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 6th 2020, 4:17pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 7:58pm

Re: Brake Problems

Postby WoodButcher » November 26th 2010, 1:19am

Sounds like air in the lines, If a shop did the repair have them finish the job. Properly and on their dime. You paid for ir once already. If they can't do it because of stuck bleeders the additional rarts may cost you but this is something you should have been made aware of before the van was released.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Re: Brake Problems

Postby wboyne3 [OP] » November 26th 2010, 1:35am

I didn't pick up the vehicle, my father did. They told him that the brake system had been fully flushed and bled and I checked and it is fresh fluid. I inherited this van from my ex father in law last year and I am not sure what work has been done to it so next things I am going to look at is the rear wheel cylinder which I have noticed a pull when I brake and the rear brakes.
235,000 miles and running strong.
Original Poster [OP]
wboyne3
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: wboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full yearswboyne3 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA): PeeWee
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD