taking power steering pump off

taking power steering pump off

Postby deercorpse [OP] » February 10th 2012, 7:59am

I have a 97 astro awd im trying to take off power steering pump and have everything off the van ect. having problems finding bolts and any room to get lines off and my pully just came off when i pulled on it a bit is that ok? I took the cover for a/c line off and the 3 13mm head bolts off alredy and i can feel one in the back but cant get to it at all. Any suggestions will help. Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
deercorpse
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: deercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Power Steering Pump Replacement
    by WakkoWarner » October 27th 2020, 11:44pm in Steering
    6 Replies
    Last post by stent View the latest post
    November 9th 2020, 5:07pm
  • Power steering pump issue?
    by Hillbent » February 9th 2021, 12:04am in Steering
    5 Replies
    Last post by Mmusicman View the latest post
    February 10th 2021, 2:16am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 6th 2021, 12:35pm

Re: taking power steering pump off

Postby Lumpy » February 10th 2012, 3:45pm

3 bolts in front, one bolt (stud and nut) goes in "sideways" toward the engine -

Removing the battery helped me get to one of the hose fittings. Other one I approached from under the van. Took some creative tool use. Had to buy a wrench for one fitting (18mm or 19mm?).

Not sure about your pulley just coming off. Replace the pump. They're not expensive. Yours has been pumping along for 15 yrs. Replace the hoses. The replacements are guaranteed for life. My Cardone reman pump from AutoZone came with a pulley installer tool. It was sold as a Dura brand but clearly marked as and in a box labeled as Cardone. The same Cardone pump at NAPA was more expensive, case not aligned with bolt holes, plumbing fitting missing. AZone had the much better part for less.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby deercorpse [OP] » February 10th 2012, 10:06pm

With the hose im guessing the bottom is high pressure cause its a stiffer line and it looks like it goes under the ac condencer and the radator if im right. where does that go to? And i noticed too my antifreeze is leaking fom a plastic fitting that had about 5-6 lines coming from it does anyone know what that is so i can get a new one at parts store theres no bone yard around here at all. Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
deercorpse
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: deercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby deercorpse [OP] » February 10th 2012, 11:56pm

I have another ? how exactly do you drain the p/s pump after instaling it? Do you just fill it up and then start it and keep cap off and do several turns left to right?
Original Poster [OP]
deercorpse
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 11th 2012, 12:10am

Just turnin the wheel did not do squat on the tahoe.After I replaced the steering box.Level never moved.Air in the system.Revved it a couple times that dropped it.Filled it then re-started and did the turn the wheel back and forth.Then it was all foam. Just kept adding and turning till the fluid looked normal and stayed full.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Lumpy » February 11th 2012, 1:37am

The high pressure hose is the one with crimped on flare fittings. The low pressure hose is simpler, held on with regular hose clamps.

You can put a PS fluid FILTER inline in the low pressure hose. It looks sort of like a fuel filter. Just find the appropriate spot and cut the hose, mount the filter with hose clamps. Some new/reman pumps come with a filter built in. I added an inline filter as well.

Mine purged air by simply running the engine and turning the wheels L and R a few times. Then drove it around the block, check. Drove a few miles, check etc. Checked every time I stopped for a couple days just for my peace of mind. But you can hear when it's low so if it did get there I'm pretty sure I'd know it before it became a disaster.

I replaced the pump, then a year later replaced the gear box. Made the van drive less like a futon, more like a Porsche.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby deercorpse [OP] » February 11th 2012, 5:26am

I ran into another problem getting the high pressure line for hydroboost off the p/s pump, since its a hydro. line, is it like normal hydro. lines that are reverse to take them off? just wanted to find out before i strip anything. Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
deercorpse
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » February 11th 2012, 6:08am

It's normal right hand threads.

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey.

LumpyLoosey
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby deercorpse [OP] » February 11th 2012, 9:35am

For some reason I cant get that nut broke loss for the high presure line and I found out that a 5/8 whench works nice and tight I thought i broke it once but then i noticed its just moving the metal line or pump not the bolt i can get it on one way and have no room to pull down on it cause the a/c lines are in the way and the crank pullies in the way too. I cant even pull low pressure lines off im about to just cut them since ill get new hoses anyway, it felt like it was going to rip if i kept pulling on it anyways. Is there a way to just pull pump out and take the nut off? im getting very mad on how much room there is to do anything. I even tried a 5/8 wrench the 5 point one with the one point cut out of it. and flipping whench around. do they make any wrench of o2 socket for it? I just want to get this done and over with asap its driving me insane. Any tricks will work for me.
Original Poster [OP]
deercorpse
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » February 11th 2012, 1:02pm

deercorpse wrote:
... Any tricks will work for me.

If you need to, cut the hose, pull the pump, since, as you suggest, you're getting a new hose anyway. I presume you're getting a new pump, otherwise I'm not sure why you're pulling it.

As goofy as it may sound..."Think like a power steering pump". Fighting the mechanical thing that's presenting a problem will never result in you winning.

Sometimes you just have to pull the engine to change a tail light bulb.

Stay calm. Figure out what you have to do to get to the part. Remove stuff around it as necessary. Stay calm again. I find that when nuts and bolts are unusually stuck that getting them finally un-stuck is something that needed to be done anyway. Now when I put them back together, they aren't siezed. They are the way they are supposed to be. Now when it breaks down in the middle of BFE, I can get to them easier, and successfully!

Stay calm. It'll happen.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby decypher » November 9th 2012, 1:50am

Thanks for posting this Lumpy.
My steering is getting pretty hard particularly when it warms up. I noticed that the seal on the top of my steering box is leaking and the pump sounds kinda whiney. I am guessing I need to change both at once. Any other diagnostic advice before I dive into this job? Where do you suggest for parts? I`m thinking Rock auto. It just starting to get pretty nippy out.
decypher
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: decypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full yearsdecypher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: awd ..green

Postby Mmusicman » February 20th 2021, 12:38am

astrosafari.com wrote:Replacing the p/s pump on my 99 awd. Im having a hard time finding the bolt on the side. the "Sideways" one. Thanks!

You may not get a response on this one.. this inactive original post is from 9 years ago
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350