Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1997 Astro wheels binding/growling when turning

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Shad0wXCalibur 
#1 ·
Afternoon fellow Astro Safari fans, as the topic says recently when turning at low speed my 97 Astro has started to bind/growl from the front end very reminiscent of CV joints which as far as I know my RWD Astro lacks. I've done a visual check which shows the back sidewall of my tire on the driver's side to be rubbing but on what I can't pinpoint. I initially thought that my inner splash guards had fallen and were rubbing the tread which didn't turn out to be the case I'm not sure where to look or go from here and all searches turn up results for AWD Astros that of course don't apply to my RWD Astro I'd appreciate any help :D relevant information is stock steel rims with stock tire size just a standard 97 cargo Astro.

#2 ·
Turn the wheel full lock all the way over then pull they key out while holding the steering wheel so it stays locked in place and go underneath the van to see if it's touching anything. Try it for both sides. If the tires aren't touching anything, then it sounds like it could be the rear end. Do you have a locker? Those can moan when turning when they need new gear oil. I think a non-locking rear end does too but I'm not sure.

Edit: It could be your power steering pump if you're sure it's coming from the front. I didn't think of that but the pump will definitely make a growling sound when it's worn out, low on fluid, or needs fresh fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.