Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

redhead steering box experiences, is it worth it

7K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Ken2.7 
#1 ·
I put a reman napa steering box in my awd van 6 months ago and its never felt right and has begun to leak from the input seal
I could get it warrantied but, i wasn't impressed with the quality

does anyone have first hand experience with using a redhead steering box
Is it worth the extra $?
does it get rid of a lot of slop?

#29 ·
After adjusting my old steering box every 6 months I decided it was time it had to go but after looking at reviews of the mess and hours involved I decided to take it to a dealership I trust (yeah, bring it on). Unfortunately after the new Redhead gearbox was installed the increased pressure on the power steering pump caused it to fail. I don't know if it was getting weak or the gearbox just requires more pressure.The slop in the steering is gone so I'm glad that's fixed. Since "curious minds want to know," I bought the Redhead gear box (#2865 for AWD Astro) directly from the company in Auburn WA at a cost of $286. There was a shipping charge of $70 which covered the cost of shipping the new one and returning the old one to avoid a $150 core charge. The gearbox was nicely packed and included the box for return.
Would I do again, yes. I didn't look up the cost of other steering gear boxes but it didn't seem to be overly expensive. By the way the gearbox weighs 30 lbs. It was heavier than I expected.

Attachments

#30 ·
Ken2.7 said:
Unfortunately after the new Redhead gearbox was installed the increased pressure on the power steering pump caused it to fail. I don't know if it was getting weak or the gearbox just requires more pressure.
Doesn't seem right to me, but who knows...

So is an expensive performance Redhead Steering box worth it on an Astro van?
One that doesn't even work right? And you claim it wiped out your PS pump?
Not likely... in my opinion.

You paid over $350. I paid $100 (after discount) for my Reman Cardone unit a few years ago locally (no shipping charges).. and it STILL works perfect! I consider this worth it.

#31 ·
Everyone has their own opinion but I will always spend a bit more if I think the quality is there. My brother in law chided me about buying an X300 John Deere in 2006 but he is on his 3rd Craftsman mower while my John Deere has been trouble free and I hope to get 14 more years. The post originated to ask if the Redhead steering box is worth it. Time will tell so I'll report back in 14 years.

#32 ·
I guess I should update my old thread!

I ended up having my old box remanufactured by blue top steering gears
https://bluetopsteeringgears-com.3dcartstores.com/

I was referred to them by my diesel Truck owning co workers

The owner apparently used to work or own part of redhead and now has his own gig.
I think it was about 270 for the Reman

But man is it nice. Drives way better than before.

I'm sure there isn't much difference between redhead and blue top but who knows

#35 ·
Ken2.7 said:
After adjusting my old steering box every 6 months I decided it was time it had to go but after looking at reviews of the mess and hours involved I decided to take it to a dealership I trust (yeah, bring it on). Unfortunately after the new Redhead gearbox was installed the increased pressure on the power steering pump caused it to fail. I don't know if it was getting weak or the gearbox just requires more pressure.The slop in the steering is gone so I'm glad that's fixed. Since "curious minds want to know," I bought the Redhead gear box (#2865 for AWD Astro) directly from the company in Auburn WA at a cost of $286. There was a shipping charge of $70 which covered the cost of shipping the new one and returning the old one to avoid a $150 core charge. The gearbox was nicely packed and included the box for return.
Would I do again, yes. I didn't look up the cost of other steering gear boxes but it didn't seem to be overly expensive. By the way the gearbox weighs 30 lbs. It was heavier than I expected.
I'm having some power steering pump/air issues with mine after putting in a red head box, not sure weather to throw a pump or a hyrdoboost unit at.

#36 ·
When I bought the van with about 210K on it, the steering was sloppy, but the PO had installed all the new steering parts. I knew that going in, and the paid price reflected the obvious and likely issues. ( windshield, not heat, steering box, poor cold running and tires). I paid well under $1K.
I had a RedHead geabox box installed because I didn't want to spend the effort doing it myself. I am vary capable, but getting a bit lazy in my old age, and some of my joints don't like climbing in and out from under the van many times a day...and no lift here.
The local Les Schwab tire store gave me a fair quote ( about $600 with the labor and alignment) and I had them do it. hey did not ralize the van was AWD until the first box arrived and was not the correct version. They told me that would have added an extra hour to the labor charge if they had realized it, but they did the job for the price quoted initially.
The first install was way too tight. It would not self center, and they agreed with me, but asked me to "put some miles on it" but the suspected it would loosen up.
A year later was still less than two tanks of fuel used, and then I made a trip across the state (300 miles each way).
That did it. I was tired of fighting the steering stiffness.
The installer (and RedHead) replaced the box, and did another alignment for no charge, with no hassle at all. It was a big improvement! I expected to pay for the alignment at least, but they said no. Who am I to complain about that service? They definitely lost any profit on this job, but I have been a tire and alignment customer for over 20 years. They treated me right and i am happy to say they have a good reputation for that kind of treatment .
I think now, I am used to it. It drives well, although I do have a bit of 'pull' to the right when braking...always something to fiddle with.
I would spend the money for a RedHead, if I needed a replacement in some other vehicle.
My read-headed wife also agrees it is easier to ride with me. because I am not fighting the steering wheel so much.
:D

#37 ·
I got my $150 core deposit back in less than a week after I sent the old gearbox back to Redhead Steering. I put 930 miles on my Astro Tiger in the last week crossing numerous Colorado passes including Cumberland, Land's End Road, and the west side of Kebler which is notorious for 6 miles of the worst washboard in the state. The steering box was fantastic. Immediately after the power steering pump was installed I had some whine which eventually went away. I don't have any idea if that's common. So after a thousand miles all is good.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.