Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Power Steeering Gearbox Lares 1329

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  zipwood 
#1 ·
My Van is a 2003 Safari with 470,000 km. The PS fluid disappears every 60 miles of driving. So, after spending fifty bucks on on PS fluid and Engine Cleaner, I have determined a leak from the PS gearbox. Rockauto has a rebuilt Lares 1329 that seems popular and is reasonable cost. Any input is appreciated. I am wondering if I need to pull the rad to get at this?
Thanks in advance and to all the vets in Canada and the USA - thanks much for your service and sacrifice Wear the poppy proud - lest we forget!

#2 ·
The gearbox seal leak (at steering shaft) is a common issue. It is cheap enough to fix, but involves some moderate labor, mostly just getting to the unit. I've replaced several.

Changing the entire gearbox will solve your problem too... but will still involve labor, and will cost a LOT more. The upside is that it will probably fix loose/sloppy steering too, if the gearbox is worn.

#3 ·
You should be able to get it done with radiator in place. pull the driver side tire and fender skirting if you have it. If it were mine I would do the entire gear box due to 470000 KM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.