small leak at steering box

small leak at steering box

Postby Coaster [OP] » March 4th 2020, 4:39pm

i am leaving a pudddle everywhere i park and it appears to be at the hose connections at the steering box. the hoses are a year old almost to the day. the box is two years old.

i have had a lot of power steering issues in terms of blowing hoses every year for 7 years, this winter i made it through probably due to using synthetic fluid (its very cold here).

at this point i dont know if the leak is from the fitting or the crimp a the end of the hose, but i do know the ends are quite snug in the steering box but not "cranked down" like on a 1970 style.

this is a new kind of leak for me, usually the hoses just explode in the middle. i'm not sure why i have such issues with the steering system but its better with the synthetic.

any insight? can i get new rubber seals or should i just replace all the hoses?
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 113
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Steering wheel change after lift
    by swedishian » May 24th 2020, 3:03am in Steering
    2 Replies
    Last post by M_a_t_t View the latest post
    September 6th 2020, 6:08am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 18th 2020, 3:50pm

Re: small leak at steering box

Postby AstroWill » March 4th 2020, 7:27pm

You will have to find out if it's the fitting or the crimp. Should be able to simply replace the o-ring if it's the fitting.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Coaster [OP] » March 11th 2020, 2:45pm

source of leak is the fitting on the power side inlet of the steering box hose from the booster. its dripping out between the tube and the nut. i tried tightening it a little but no change.

i got 17 months out of this hose, longest yet. i switched to synthetic last march. i am sure the o ring is bad although i dont know why. hose is in great shape but if i am going to pull it off the steering box i am just going t replace it.

i bought a new delco hose from rock auto, hopefully can drip along till friday or saturday then pull the shroud out so i can get to it.

am i overtightening these or something? i have read 25# but i just have to guess. i did the last set of hoses just snug, no excess tightening and the other connections are ok. usually the hose blows in the middle so this is new.
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » March 11th 2020, 8:32pm

I've never had a connector leak.
You may become the new "expert" on this one.
I imagine the crimp can leak too.
New hose.. make it tight, but not too tight.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby AstroWill » March 12th 2020, 12:14am

I remember that conversation, glad the switch to synthetic helped. Check for burrs or something before installing that new one. Fingers crossed that this will be your final hose.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Coaster [OP] » March 14th 2020, 7:22pm

i got the hose off in minutes , took longer to install the new one.

closely inspected the green o rings and the hydroboost side was compressed/deformed evenly all the way around. this side did not leak. the steering box o ring, where it leaked out between the threaded connector and pipe was NOT evenly compressed/deformed all the way around. i couldnt see anything that would cause a leak but obviously it leaked.

i was very careful to hold the pipe in the correct position when i tightened the nut at the steering box. i tightened it until when i let go of the pipe it would not rotate on its own and stayed where it was.

so far i dont see anything coming out when i watch it (it would drip, drip, drip, drip before) but i am still leaving some fluid spots when i park it. not like before, i hope its just leftover fluid dripping off the box (there is a bit).

may pressure wash it soon in there
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Original Poster [OP]
Coaster
Alias (AKA):