Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

PS Pump Swap Reservoir?

896 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  CopperFiremist 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm losing my @#%@#$ mind trying to replace my power steering pump and would appreciate any help! I have a 1997 AWD Astro.

I got the PS Pump out, but the replacement I got came with a "reservoir" that's that doesn't match mine -- CARDONE 208753
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=30252&jsn=3

No problem I figured.. I'll just pop my current leaking pump out of the current reservoir (is that what it's called?) and pop the new pump in there... it seems like that's what you'd do if you got one from NAPA, etc anyway.

Well.. I can't figure out how to get it out! I've included a picture of the back of the PS pumps.. does anyone know which bolts/nuts need to be removed? I can't tell if some of the bolts are welded to the reservoir because they aren't budging!

Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is there an issue with using the new pump as is? It looks like it has both fittings you need. My replacement pump had the bolt holes too, but since my van didn't use them I had to plug them with those bolts, which I thought was intended since my old pump was setup exactly the same way.

Also they usually offer both with reservoir and without at your LAPS. When I was still at Autozone I always recommended with reservoir for our style of pump.

I believe it is a press fit on, but have never messed with one. That's just what I've heard.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Matt!

The reservoir that came with my replacement pump is an entirely different shape... kind of a tear drop/cam/elongated oval shape whereas the one I pulled from my van is a circle.

I was looking at pumps on napa and autozone, but based on the online photos, it appears I'll still need to swap out some stuff. I believe that middle extrusion part is the power dependant steering.. I think. Maybe I'm just not cranking on the parts hard enough, but want to make sure before I break something!

I'm honestly a bit confused by the whole set up and could use some guidance. I've been going through the manual and can't seem to find what I'm looking for either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.