Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

New steering gear & steering wheel feedback

515 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Safarimeister 
#1 ·
I have issues and am not sure if they are related or not.

I recently had a new O'Reilly's steering gear installed, only to find out it was bad, so another one had to be installed.

1) Once installed, the steering wheel was very difficult to turn at times. I literlally had to muscle it to force the wheel to turn. Sometimes it was fine, other times it moaned and groaned and was as if there was no power steering.

I have around 500 miles on it now it has loosened up a lot. However, sometimes I am hearing my power steering unit whine a little even when the wheel turns easily. Today I added some Seafoam Hydra Trans Fluid. However, I sucked out around 6 oz of my power steering fluid which looked terrible... really dark. I am thinking it may be time to change out the fluid

2) With my 5-inch lift and all-new suspension parts, my truck goes down the road straight as an arrow. No vibrations or anything. However, when going at highway speed as I go into a gradual left turn, the wheel oftentimes feels like it wants to go back against the direction of the turn. So far it has not been unmanageable, but it nevertheless a sensation I am not used to.

The truck was aligned after the lift, but I have since heard that the camber/cast may have something to do with this "push back" sensation and that the alignment shop may not have performed that at the time of the alignment? Could that be? Wouldn't they automatically check that?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.