Howto: Yes, you too can edit your posts!

Howto: Yes, you too can edit your posts!

Postby AstroWill [OP] » September 29th 2017, 11:17pm

While the time limits may change and vary slightly, for a certain period of time after posting you can edit your own posts without any interaction from the moderators.
Simply click on the EDIT button in the top right corner of your post, edit away, then click submit. Helpful for a short period of time after posting and if you double post there is even a delete button available for a short time.
edit.png
edit.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 16688 times

Once this time has expired, a little more effort will be required to modify an existing post.
Why can't I just edit my own posts after the time period? There have been problems in the past where angry users or hacked accounts would go and delete their old posts or spammers write innocent posts only to be changed to spam at a later point. It's a bit of a balancing act, you want the edit time long enough that you can make a quick edit and not so long that the spammers take advantage of it after it's off of the moderation teams radar. It makes sense to really take your time and think about your posts before you post them.

This is more useful for long term posts, like stickies or build threads.
The steps are as follows:
1. Copy the text from your original post
2. Create a new post in the Testing Grounds
newtopic.png
newtopic.png (8.75 KiB) Viewed 16688 times

3. Paste the original text into the new post
4. Edit away until have it exactly how you want it. if you are adding new pictures, please use the Gallery function to expedite the process. Then click submit.
5. Report your original post, giving the link to the new post in the Testing Grounds so that a moderator can copy the new post over to the original post. Reporting is not something negative, it just says 'hey this needs some attention'.
report.png
report.png (5.15 KiB) Viewed 16688 times

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • HowTo: Opt-Out of Website Tracking
    by AstroWill » November 1st 2020, 3:31pm in Website Concerns
    0 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 1st 2020, 3:31pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 20th 2021, 3:59am

Re: Howto: Yes, you too can edit your posts!

Postby kennyj » October 5th 2017, 8:13pm

Once this time has expired, a little more effort will be required to modify an existing post. The steps are as follows:

Would this currently be the best way to update old threads with broken Photobucket links? I'd like to fix some of my threads, like my build thread and a couple that are stickys.

Does this method retain the original dates of the posts in a thread?
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 250k+ miles

Postby AstroWill [OP] » October 5th 2017, 11:31pm

kennyj wrote:
Once this time has expired, a little more effort will be required to modify an existing post. The steps are as follows:

Would this currently be the best way to update old threads with broken Photobucket links? I'd like to fix some of my threads, like my build thread and a couple that are stickys.

Yes sir.

kennyj wrote:Does this method retain the original dates of the posts in a thread?

Yes, it does. :)

Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 11th 2018, 9:13pm

AstroWill wrote:Once this time has expired, a little more effort will be required to modify an existing post.
Why can't I just edit my own posts after the time period? There have been problems in the past where angry users would go and delete their old posts or spammers write innocent posts only to be changed to spam at a later point. It's a bit of a balancing act, you want the edit time long enough that you can make a quick edit and not so long that the spammers take advantage of it after it's off of the moderation teams radar. It makes sense to really take your time and think about your posts before you post them.

And example of this is happening right now as a user over in the Tiger Tapatalk forums is editing all of their posts to say 'na' ruining a whole bunch of threads.
Attachments
TigerOwners_example_today_of_someone_ruining_a_thread.pdf
(56.43 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director