The Archives Searches

The Archives Searches

Postby Gary [OP] » January 10th 2009, 9:27am

The way I was brought up in these sites was to answer questions to a thread after the poster had done the searches in the archives and needed some of the info cleared up.To make them work for the answers.I think here we have years and years of work done already that isn't being used as much as it should.My two cents is I think we should ref questions to that more and stop just handing it over.At the very least,ref links to that section. :think:
Original Poster [OP]
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: high top

Re: The Archives Searches

Postby astro355 » January 10th 2009, 9:36am

Well, that's one way to look at it. But it definitely doesn't seem as friendly as just answering the question or giving the OP a place to start looking. I know when I have asked questions in the past, regardless of topic or forum, I was always annoyed with the post that said, "do a search".

Posting a link to another thread that may answer the OPs question seems the same as just answering the question first hand. I honestly don't see a problem here. I don't know why anyone would have to 'earn' the knowledge that is already free and listed on this forum. Its not like people are being charged for advise given anyways. :2:
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Matrixx » January 10th 2009, 9:54am

What Astro355 said X2. I don't mind either, it can be overwhelming at times doing searches (well, it is for me anyways).:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » January 10th 2009, 3:41pm

My thought is a link to the search button with a suggested search string or phrase. Something like:

"This has been covered in great detail in the past. Click here & type "rear brake conversion", I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
https://astrosafari.com/search.php "

I for one, am guilty of not searching the archives. Having not been around when they were new posts, I don't have the luxury of remembering "There was a thread on that a while back", but that's no excuse. On the other hand, someone who has just gotten here would have no idea what's in there: but that's what the search button is for. Guess I'm kinda in between.

Gary does have a point. There's countless hours worth of posts and vast amounts of information there just waiting to be read again. All one needs to do is click a button.

:2: Just my 2¢
/off soapbox
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Big_kid » January 10th 2009, 3:45pm

That's not to say it isn't quicker and more direct to post a quick "R43CTS" or something similar if that's the case. Judgment call, I suppose. :shrug:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Gary [OP] » January 11th 2009, 12:31am

My point is we as a community are only as strong as the answers we gave last.We are very lucky to have inherited 3yrs of work that was at the highest point of builds of these vans.Tons and tons of work tried for the first time and developed into solutions to those problems.Those history's have correct answers for even the most experienced posters here.The strength of a site like this is in fact the number of members that learn the info and can answer the questions and not just a dozen or so.Why would we as a community want to ignore that or almost never promote it's use??.Please excuse this constructive criticism,but the Admins/Mod's I have worked with over the yrs,guide,correct erroneous info for the most part and almost never post unless it is a subject they can't resist.Building a site like this,(my two cents)is more about expanding what everyone knows to give the site depth.That is the big picture,for the long run,whatever you want to call it.And of course just my peeper opinion.It is for sure the fastest learning tool we all have to offer.One of the biggest kicks I get is to watch a newbie start on the site and watch him/her be able to do what they thought they couldn't and answer questions not so long ago wasn't within their reach.That is one reason why the archives are there.Unfriendly???.No I don't think that.I think it is the best thing I could do for the sake of the site and for the threads author.Once they search for the answers,surely they retain the info better than if it was just handled to them.lastly,I think using the archives is respectful to those who gave so much to it.Even those who did the work to their vans,drove them,and have now moved on now.I believe they wanted to leave it behind as a history of their work for the benefit of all of us to use.
Original Poster [OP]
Gary
Dearly Departed
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » January 11th 2009, 2:47am

Wow. So what difference does it make it I read the archives and pass the information along to a 'newbie' as opposed to that 'newbie' trying to understand what he/she is reading the in archives. Really, its pretty hard to ask the archives a question if you don't understand a point or what you found doesn't quite answer your question. People will ALWAYS learn better when they can bounce ideas off of other living people, not text.

I don't understand why I would have to include the phrase, "I've already looked in the archives" just to keep other members from trolling my threads with the almighty, "do a search in the archives". That is unfriendly. Telling members to do a search is not only unfriendly, but its also non-productive. I mean if you can't answer the OP's question (or in some people's cases, WON"T answer the question), why post at all? You act like its a privilege for people to be allowed to join this site. Its a free site, anyone can join, even you.

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary [OP] » January 11th 2009, 3:40am

So please excuse me,by what you are saying is Austin should sell off the info??.I am just trying to understand.I never said after reading the archives that questions shouldn't be handed clearing up any confusion.
Original Poster [OP]
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » January 11th 2009, 9:36am

Hmm, You say your not unfriendly? When you recently made a reply to a new member like this in brakes Quote>"Nope-not going to hand you the answer to this question".<UnQuote. Im just trying to figure out what "Almighty" ship you came in on? This isn't "your" site and your comments lately are "indeed" borderline hostile and definitely unfriendly. Something to REALLY think about Gary.
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » January 11th 2009, 11:07am

Gary wrote:So please excuse me,by what you are saying is Austin should sell off the info??.I am just trying to understand.I never said after reading the archives that questions shouldn't be handed clearing up any confusion.

No, the information is here for anyone to read and its free. I don't understand why anyone asking a question must first go thru the archives and then if they are fuzzy ask questions about what they found. Sure, if someone can find the information there, good for them. But not everyone can find exactly what they are looking for whatever reason. And I'm not going to assume that any OP, new or old, has not already looked in the archives which is why you will NEVER see me type, "go do a search". That may be business as usual on lesser sites but not here.

Besides, Gary, if everyone did as you asked, you would have nothing to complain about and be very bored. :cheers: j/k

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary [OP] » January 11th 2009, 11:52am

I don't/didn't want to reply like this,but I get a sense you get defensive when I posed this question.It is a statement of fact the archives is under utilized.Not a complaint."A leaser site"???.The archives was there before you/me and was business as usual here.The statement of fact is it truly one of the fasted learning tools for the board community in general making this a stronger site not a lesser one and isn't promoted enough.If texted info was so problematic then that would hold true for the factory service manuals that so many people have bought for their vans.Lastly,this thread has nothing to do with me or you.Moreover it is a concern for the betterment of the site in general.A objective overview.
Original Poster [OP]
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » January 11th 2009, 12:19pm

Well I was their before the archives Gary...The Original Archives were lost from all the crashes the other site had, this is the remainder of whats left of it. For me personally, I do get a bit offended when you come onto this site and start preaching your Fire and Brimstone Archives Research to people.

Astro Austin has done an excellent job here to make this site work for us. He pays the bills to give us an opportunity to freely talk about and "help" each other out with problems we/they may have and not even ask a penny from us. Then to have someone come onto to this site and give a "Nope-not going to hand you the answer to this question" reply?

This site is better off without all of this "Jaw Wagging" that's been going on lately and this will be my last reply to this "Stupid" post. On to more productive things.
Good Day Sir!
Last edited by Matrixx on January 12th 2009, 9:55am, edited 4 times in total.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » January 11th 2009, 10:12pm

Gary wrote:I don't/didn't want to reply like this,but I get a sense you get defensive when I posed this question.It is a statement of fact the archives is under utilized.Not a complaint."A leaser site"???.The archives was there before you/me and was business as usual here.The statement of fact is it truly one of the fasted learning tools for the board community in general making this a stronger site not a lesser one and isn't promoted enough.If texted info was so problematic then that would hold true for the factory service manuals that so many people have bought for their vans.Lastly,this thread has nothing to do with me or you.Moreover it is a concern for the betterment of the site in general.A objective overview.

Ok, I guess you didn't understand what I was trying to say. I'll go slower this time. I don't want this site to be like other lesser (not leaser) sites CURRENTLY on the web. I don't want people's threads about questions riddled with the almighty "do a search". Again, you can't ask text (or a service manual) a question. Neither is interactive which is why people will post questions. And let's not forgot about the amount of NEW information gained which may have not been originally covered, known, etc.

Defensive about this question, no. Defensive about how you want other people to act, yes.

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » January 11th 2009, 11:20pm

astro355 wrote:
Gary wrote:I don't/didn't want to reply like this,but I get a sense you get defensive when I posed this question.It is a statement of fact the archives is under utilized.Not a complaint."A leaser site"???.The archives was there before you/me and was business as usual here.The statement of fact is it truly one of the fasted learning tools for the board community in general making this a stronger site not a lesser one and isn't promoted enough.If texted info was so problematic then that would hold true for the factory service manuals that so many people have bought for their vans.Lastly,this thread has nothing to do with me or you.Moreover it is a concern for the betterment of the site in general.A objective overview.

Ok, I guess you didn't understand what I was trying to say. I'll go slower this time. I don't want this site to be like other lesser (not leaser) sites CURRENTLY on the web. I don't want people's threads about questions riddled with the almighty "do a search". Again, you can't ask text (or a service manual) a question. Neither is interactive which is why people will post questions. And let's not forgot about the amount of NEW information gained which may have not been originally covered, known, etc.

Defensive about this question, no. Defensive about how you want other people to act, yes.

I have to agree with astro355 on this one. I hate smug answers that say 'do a search' - they're pretty off-putting and a lot of people will leave and not come back. And for what? If you can take the time to type 'do a search', you can take the time to type an answer.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Black89cs » January 11th 2009, 11:26pm

Yeah, It's one thing to offer a suggestion and then mention something like, "I saw this post on the old board, check it out for more info," but to just clam up and not say anything and tell users to search will more than likely drive newbies away. While I'm on the subject, I searched for the aftermarket cruise control last night before posting. Couldn't find anything on the new boards, and the old board was somewhat cumbersome to search in. Not saying it's the boards fault, I never did like searching boards for posts, mainly because it brings up every single instance of the terms being searched for.
Black89cs
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Black89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full yearsBlack89cs has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 81
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary [OP] » January 12th 2009, 10:04am

Astro355-I stood back and watched you fight thru a thread with what seemed to be a unpopular position and said to my self-yeah you go.You stuck to your guns and gained my respect.Afterwards you became a Mod here.This is a road that I have been trying very hard not to go down.Please given you position here don't(please) and I quote:"you would have nothing to complain about and be very bored,anyone can join even you,I'll go slower",and then was a case of a typo, treat me that way.All I have done here is post a position which is or is not popular and I have done my level best to stick to that subject.

I am separating this for everyone to see.Could I have handled the brake reply better?.The answer is yes.

In terms of Matrixx-I am kind of suprized at his replies-well sort of.Some of the info was in fact lost to the crashes.In fact as far as I know,all of my work is gone. :evil: But much of I have been ref'ing to has his work involved.I am giving credit to him by saying he has answered that-LOL,back in 2005.You feeling old now Mat??.

One ref's to a link in answer to a question posed on the board is surely more info than I could possible offer in a single post to a thread.Just one more logical way to support my position on the archives.

Is the system,info,searches in that section perfect??.No it isn't.But still give the time to look,the likely hood of you finding good answers to a question is pretty good.The newer stuff like what I posted about with TCI auto in the tranny section would never be found.

I am parking it right here and now.Anything else would be rehashing what I have already said.
Original Poster [OP]
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » January 12th 2009, 12:32pm

This is where I'm coming from. Lately, your responses to other people's questions have been great. You would answer their questions and then post a link to a helpful thread. The one where you told the guy that "he had to earn it", not so much.

Gary wrote:The way I was brought up in these sites was to answer questions to a thread after the poster had done the searches in the archives and needed some of the info cleared up.To make them work for the answers.I think here we have years and years of work done already that isn't being used as much as it should.My two cents is I think we should ref questions to that more and stop just handing it over.At the very least,ref links to that section. :think:

This is your original statement. This seems almost hostile, especially considering how you handled that one guy's thread. What is it you think is being handed over? By referencing a link, isn't that still handing it over?

I just hate assuming things and by doing that, you would be assuming that the OP DIDN'T already look in the archives. I don't know, maybe AstroAustin can set up the forum so any post that has a "question mark" in it is automatically redirected to a generic search page in the archives when the "submit" button is pushed.

Gary, I guess in the end, it would just come down to how you handle it.

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):