??? Disappearing Posts ???

??? Disappearing Posts ???

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 17th 2010, 4:35am

Can someone explain to me how at 8:30 pm I had 9022 posts, and when I returned home at aprox 10:15 pm I have 9014 posts?

See attached screen grabs for proof. CENSORSHIP???

Many members have my email. I give them permission to give it out, as I will no longer PM on this Forum.

Goodbye All, Jim

2010 11 16 2030 hours.JPG

2010 11 16 2220 hours.JPG
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Re: ??? Disappearing Posts ???

Postby doyoulikeithere » November 17th 2010, 4:40am

Ewww, You run Windows? Ick!
:twisted:
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: doyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWyo » November 17th 2010, 5:57am

Were the missing posts subversive?

Do you frequent any forums that talk about Ford vans?

Maybe it's a Tron revolution.

Area 51?
:D
AstroWyo
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: AstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroWyo has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

Postby Gary » November 17th 2010, 7:01am

Jim,

We talked on the open forum before about post counts.You yourself said that it didn't really matter that much to you.That at one point how many posts you have really fade away in importance.

I don't know what kind of posts you are missing here.If it is honest advise and it was removed,that is one thing,but if it was stuff not in the vein of the topic,that is something else.

I will tell you that my experience as a staff member,one of the jobs is to monitor threads and once they have run there course,delete the posts that would be considered fluff or off topic.Just clean them up.You try your best to keep the threads content so it makes sense while leaving behind a thread that for the most part was solid advise to members to ref to.

Again,I don't know if that was the type of postings that was deleted,but it would kind of make sense.

If it was advise you where giving,good or bad,my two cents worth is that should never be deleted.That is a major part of the learning curve for all the community/readership to stand the test of time.

With all forums Jim,you know full well once you sign on to the agreement to become a member,anything you post once you press send,that isn't yours any longer.It is the property of the forum/owner to do with as they please.

I do think you are a major contributor to this forum and a lost of you would have a effect on it.In the same hand,I just want to reason with you.I have encouraged you privately to start giving out more answers because you know them from being around this as long as you have.I am certainly posting this here to push you more on that subject.

Guys I am not on staff here and don't want to make it seem as if I am.I am just providing advise to a friend with the hopes you guys who know Jim will chime in to help out.

Thanks all for your time.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: high top

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 17th 2010, 1:57pm

Hey Fellers

It boils down to this...

8 Posts/Things that I had to say in areas of the forum where posts are counted were deleted in under 2 hours yesterday.

Why should I say anything at all with upper management deleting my comments?

??? WHY ???

Jim

PS I also was posting from my phone during that time also...
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby tedanderson » November 17th 2010, 3:03pm

We've settled this discussion before and PM's are the only place that I will entertain any further discussion should anyone here feel that they are still not satisfied.

Thank you in advanced for your cooperation. :)
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 17th 2010, 3:06pm

Ah So it's you... Actually tED it was the excessive edits that were discussed before.

Jim

EDIT: In before the LOCK...
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 17th 2010, 3:50pm

Hey tED

You should see my latest Knock Knock Joke...

It is real funny.

Jim
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 17th 2010, 11:22pm

Well teday wasn't so bad...

Left the house this morning with 9029 posts

Got home and before I got out of the van I had 9033 posts

Walked into the house, booted the pc and had 9031 posts.

What is the use of posting?

??? Jim ???
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » November 18th 2010, 1:46am

To Whom It May Concern:

Being of sound mind, and not so sound body, I do hereby bequeath any and all of my posts, including any future posts, to the personona *** laude known as "Astroturf".

I do so in good faith that these posts will be tendered to said persons' accounting.

I'm quite serious. I don't want to lose Jim. And, if there is any way of rectifying his count, please do so.

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 18th 2010, 1:58am

Bob,
It's not the post count that matters.
It is the Censorship of my posts ie Flat out Deletions that bothers me.
My email is:
[email protected]
I will help/do what I can for anyone here.
BUT, I will not tolerate what is going on.
Jim
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 18th 2010, 3:19am

Hey,

I don't want to see anyone get angry or go away from this site.

This is hopefully is just another phase that management is going through. I do wish I was not the one being burned by them though.

And no, I have not been given any explanation other than what they have posted on the boards for all to read.

Who knows who is behind it or why?

Still here, Until this post gets deleted?

Jim
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » November 18th 2010, 3:38am

I usually do not partake in these type of threads , but since I have seen several of these sprout up in the last couple weeks , maybe I can shed some light here . I do not want to be imposing but something should be noted. Nearly all of these type of "Automotive" forums are considered "Technical Forums' it is a place where people go to ask questions and hope to find answers to the problems they are experiencing or a project they are working on , some may illustrate "how to " type write ups . Pretty much everybody knows that once that submit button is pressed it is as if you handed over title ownership to everything that was in that post. Just as with an employer , anything sent over the web or email using their hardware is the employers property and not the property of the person who sent it , the employer has every right to do whatever they want to with it legally . If an employer assigns a email address to an employee ,whatever content is in the email belongs to the employer , even if you use your home pc or cell phone . Web site hosting requires computer servers \hardware and web access and someone to pay for the internet gateway access and maintain the equipment ,, You have said before that this is not a ' technical document' ,well yes it kinda is in that people come here for solutions and answers . This is not Facebook or My Space or a "social entertainment " forum , when people just want to chit-chat they go to forums like Facebook to talk about whatever suits them , but even then their posts belong to the owners of the social network . The owners of this website would want to streamline the content and limit it to technical info. They do provide special sections for off topic subjects and the opportunity for more than just technical stuff , but they want to keep stuff categorized like say your kitchen cupboards , dishes and plates together , canned goods together etc. and not all mixed up , , There is a successful thread ,'What have you done with your Astro today" where people talk about a variety of things and not limited to a given persons question\topic and it allows for some leeway and freedom of room to be a little less technical .
Most other forums I have been to have done more editing than they do here , they do have the right to censor if they want to and will if they think it is needed , Like pulling weeds out of the garden to allow room for the needed plants\veggies to grow . If you post something relative and needed for good info for future members or people who just come here to read info and not join your post would not be deleted , but if a post is nothing more than a random comment that has nothing important to the topic or question then it is likely to be deleted to make room for relevant information. Everything posted goes on a hard drive and uses up space , when a hard drive starts to get full it slows down the server in accessing the requested info . The more free hard drive space there is the better and faster the servers can run. Sometimes the servers are so slow that a person has to wait a awhile to have a post go through, or sometimes poster will get an error when posting because there is a slow down with the servers and not everybody can get through. It also takes processor power to handle all the requests made by posters ,and all those animations , So you should not take it personal if a post is deleted or edited , I don't read every post by everybody , that would take up a lot of time and there are more things to do in life than spend life staring at a pc screen , so maybe you could ask yourself before you post "Is this really needed by anybody " it may help curb the pressing of the submit button and that is one less post you won't have to be concerned about getting deleted .if you want to post and don't have tech info to provide you can still post in the off topic area , just my 2 cents :2: :D
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » November 18th 2010, 4:50am

Gary wrote:Awwwww,that was covered on page one.........

Awwwww, not everything I said ,,and whatever you may have said was you expressing your view and I was expressing my view, I suppose you would want to say that you are the only one who can express a view and make a point? As I have read your threads of this type as well............ :sleep:
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 18th 2010, 5:51pm

Wow talk about Deja Vu...

Posts are disappearing from the disappearIng posts topic.

What does AA say about all this?

I will say here as I have said through email, I have not, nor will I discuss this with management in private.

This effects us all and needs to be addressed here by all concerned.

Keeping an eye on my post count, Jim
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby 'cudapaul » November 18th 2010, 7:57pm

Frankly, I wish that the "POST COUNT" was removed.

Post counts do not provide any value for the forum, nor demonstrate an individual's abilty, experience, or responsiveness in answering or providing support for questions asked in the forums.

It is a useless distraction from the real purpose of this place.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby astroturf [OP] » November 18th 2010, 8:03pm

CudaPaul,

It is about censorship and post deletion. Not the count. The count is merely how management got caught is all.

Thanks for your opinion, Jim
Original Poster [OP]
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby tedanderson » November 18th 2010, 9:16pm

For the benefit of everyone reading this, I would first share that Phantom hit the nail on the head with some of the points that were made. It is indeed necessary to clean up some of the threads and so that we can make the reading easier for those utilize this site for technical information. Therefore extraneous posts will be edited and deleted as necessary to facilitate this.

As a comparison, most people like to watch major network broadcast news because the stories are edited down to 10 minute segments that contain the parts that are most relevant and useful to the majority of the viewers. Then there's CSPAN that spends 45 minutes to an hour to tell the WHOLE story, completely raw and uncut. Those who have their preference choose accordingly.

There are many forums on the web that operate in an unrestricted manner where anything and everything can be freely said, however, that is not what we do here.

Being that everyone has said what needed to be said, this discussion shall now end.
tedanderson
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari