What's the nastiest auto-related practical joke you've seen?

Re: What's the nastiest auto-related practical joke you've s

Postby Spoonchucker » January 18th 2019, 9:30pm

Worked with a guy (named Cletus) that would screw with peoples cars - mess with the mirrors, wipers etc..

Pissed another guy off that worked there so that guy jacked up Clete's car and duct taped a huge truck wheel weight to the drive shaft.

This was back in the late '80's and Cletus pride and joy was his convertible IROC - kept that baby in immaculate condition. That wheel weight apparently started causing a shimmy at about 40 mph and by the time you were up to 60+ it was shakin so bad it'd rattle the fillings out of your mouth.

Clete spent a lot of money on alignment and wheel balancing - had that thing in the shop a half dozen times trying to chase the problem - spent hundreds - got to where no one wanted him to find out, we couldn't believe none of the shops saw the weight until we got under there to take it off - the duck tape covered with road grim completely camoflaged the whole thing - even when we knew it was there, was not obvious - we took it off and far as I know, no one ever told him about it.
Spoonchucker
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Spoonchucker has been a member for 3 full yearsSpoonchucker has been a member for 3 full yearsSpoonchucker has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

Postby Rockridge » January 18th 2019, 11:56pm

bubbalowe wrote:Heard of putting a jumbo wire tie on the driveshaft and watching the owner tear the front wheel bearings apart looking for the ticking sound .

Usually the HVAC guys have some nice big zippie ties and are more than happy to donate to the cause
Rockridge
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby astrometalvan » January 19th 2019, 12:16am

3 or 4 3-foot long zip ties (used for a/c flex ductwork) zipped onto the driveshaft of an F150 duct installers truck with the tails hanging make an amazing fwipp-fwip-ting-ting sound when the guys in the truck drive off. (old A/C installer prank done by other a/c installers (me) at supply house parking lot) :lol:

a dozen shrimp left under the bench seat of an a**hole customer that dropped off his truck at a Dodge dealer after screaming at service manager and telling him his truck "better be ready when I get back next week". The service manager left the shrimp in there for 6 days in Pensacola Fl in August. I was a 19 year old lot porter, the service manager sent me to bait shop for the shrimp. Guy had some fishing poles in back seat of truck, we were never blamed. :rolling:
2000 Astro LT AWD 4.3L W 4L60E GT4 G80
96 Astro LT 2wd 4.3L W 4L60E
92 S10 2wd reg/short 2.8 R T-5
93 S10 Ex cab/short 4.3L Z 700R-4
88 SeaRay Seville 21' cuddy Mercruiser MCM205 4.3L/4BBL-98Alpha1
91 S10 Reg/short 4.3L Z MY2 GT5
astrometalvan
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: astrometalvan has been a member for 8 full yearsastrometalvan has been a member for 8 full yearsastrometalvan has been a member for 8 full yearsastrometalvan has been a member for 8 full yearsastrometalvan has been a member for 8 full yearsastrometalvan has been a member for 8 full yearsastrometalvan has been a member for 8 full yearsastrometalvan has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): baddad71
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: LT 4.3 W AWD

Postby Astrofarian [OP] » January 20th 2019, 2:32pm

I've mentioned this one on here before somewhere, but couldn't remember where.....
Up until the late 70's some shops used to get their antifreeze/coolant supplied to them in thick, 2 gallon plastic bags that you would just slam down into a funnel that had a piercing thingy in it. Those bags were unholy strong and got washed out and re-used for all kinds of stuff.
Things were a bit slow in the service department and a few of us had taken to pranking each other. Someone got the brainwave to fill one of these bags with oxygen from the cutting torch and then adding a quick shot of acetylene to the bag. Pulled a plug wire off the bosses car, stuck it inside the pierced hole then shoved it under the hood. Boss goes out, starts his car and BOOOOOM!!
I don't believe anyone ever told him which one of us had done it....he was NOT happy watching us laughing our azzes off while his ears rang for an hour or so afterwards.
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Original Poster [OP]
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby sixsix » January 20th 2019, 3:47pm

Not so sure I would have been very Happy either.

:roll:

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Zebediah III » February 10th 2019, 7:55pm

On the old cars, in the 70's or 80s it was easy to hook the brake light switch to the horn. Good times. Especially if we saw a friend's car sitting at the Officers club or bar unlocked. Nothing like driving home plastered and hearing someone honking every time you hit the brake pedal. There was one guy with a red maverick who never locked it and he drank til they closed and threw him out. You could hear him driving home drunk from miles away.
Zebediah III
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Zebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 383 Crate Motor

Postby markmitch » February 10th 2019, 9:05pm

My brother once was pissed at a neighbor and got fish juice from an Asian market and poured it all over the interior of the neighbors lincoln continental to get back at him. The neighbor took the car to a few places to get it cleaned and never could get the small out of it and ended up junking the car. It was a really nice car too. I do not believe in revenge but that's a funny way to deal with a jerk neighbor.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Astro Pop » February 10th 2019, 9:22pm

Had a friend that used to race bug eyed sprite on racing circuit. He taped an extra touch switch to shift handle and wired it to brake lights. He would hit it early in the turns and everyone behind him would back off, then he'd nail and leave them in the dust. Not funny to them but they had their little tricks too!
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby Big_kid » February 10th 2019, 11:41pm

Astro Pop- I LOVE it!

I saw on TV once (Rickles on Carson?) where his neighbor got a new (original) Beetle back in the day, and kept bragging about his fuel mileage. What the neighbor DIDN'T know was every night Rickles was adding gas to the tank. After about 2 weeks of listening to his neighbor brag about getting 90 MPG, he started siphoning gas back out. Then his neighbor started telling him how he was going to take it back to the dealer because his mileage went from 90 MPG down to 12.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby AstroWill » February 11th 2019, 1:13am

That is freaking classic BK! :rofl:

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Astrofarian [OP] » February 11th 2019, 4:56am

Big_kid wrote:Astro Pop- I LOVE it!

I saw on TV once (Rickles on Carson?) where his neighbor got a new (original) Beetle back in the day, and kept bragging about his fuel mileage. What the neighbor DIDN'T know was every night Rickles was adding gas to the tank. After about 2 weeks of listening to his neighbor brag about getting 90 MPG, he started siphoning gas back out. Then his neighbor started telling him how he was going to take it back to the dealer because his mileage went from 90 MPG down to 12.

LoL, maybe a BIT off-Topic here but DAMN, I miss Rickles (and Carson). I never would have even imagined Don Rickles would have known how to siphon gas but this is a seriously funny story AND a classic, epic prank! :clap:
=M!ke-
Original Poster [OP]
Astrofarian
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years

Postby Big_kid » February 11th 2019, 2:18pm

It might not have been Rickles, but I'm 99% sure it was on Carson. It WAS a year or two ago, wasn't it?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby konybravo » February 11th 2019, 2:44pm

This "joke" cost me two consecutive engines:
DSC_0277.JPG
DSC_0281.JPG
:rofl:
Aloha Kony
konybravo
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: konybravo has been a member for 3 full yearskonybravo has been a member for 3 full yearskonybravo has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Kony
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD G80

Postby Astrofarian [OP] » February 12th 2019, 3:32am

I don't get it Kony…...and I hope to Hell I never do!
That's just cruel. Someone actually did that to you?
And people wonder how things escalate.....
-M!ke-
Original Poster [OP]
Astrofarian

Postby Big_kid » February 12th 2019, 1:06pm

That's sabotage, not a joke. A joke leaves no damage, and is easily wiped away/forgotten/forgiven. There's nothing funny about destroying someone's engine.
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astrofarian [OP] » February 12th 2019, 1:41pm

Yeah,^^^^^^^^^^^^that!
-M!ke-
Original Poster [OP]
Astrofarian

Postby konybravo » February 12th 2019, 4:46pm

Yeah, I'm just joking, about that being a joke! :) Actually it's been a "hit below the waist", from competing "mechs", in a shop, i had the misfortune, to wind up, for an exhaust leak job...
Aloha Kony
konybravo
Years of Membership: konybravo has been a member for 3 full yearskonybravo has been a member for 3 full yearskonybravo has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Kony
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD G80

Postby 81SAFARIMATT » March 24th 2020, 10:40pm

i froze a can of shaving cream solid...drilled a few small holes and put it in my buddys glove box right before he took off on his honeymoon ... worked perfect ..they were about three hours down the road and foam started coming out the glove box...there was also a couple finger mullet in his hubcap...he swore tennesse stunk like the dickens everywhere he stopped before figuring it out....Matt
98 safari...3 seats...4.3 v6....RWD...130,000 miles new .... LOVIN LIFE IN THE COLORADO MOUNTAINS

No good story ever started with a salad
81SAFARIMATT
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD-4.3-

Previous