Odd car at a car show today

Re: Odd car at a car show today

Postby cowboydan » December 29th 2011, 1:32am

looks good randy. too bad the hi comp 454 are lots of doe and hard to find. make up the difference with flat top pistons. i want to see some flow bench numbers for the stock heads.
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Car Fax
    by SheldonYoung » June 21st 2020, 2:43pm in Off Topic
    0 Replies
    Last post by SheldonYoung View the latest post
    June 21st 2020, 2:43pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 3:05pm

Postby chevymaher [OP] » December 29th 2011, 2:05am

cowboydan wrote:looks good randy. too bad the hi comp 454 are lots of doe and hard to find. make up the difference with flat top pistons. i want to see some flow bench numbers for the stock heads.

270 HP weakies.Probably don't flow much better than the vans heads.Kidding but for the size of the motor they junk.Theres a reason you can get them on craigslist for 60 bucks in good shape.You can't give them away.Yes big blocks are big bucks.I got the hard part the block.And its machine work was just done.The rest you can buy new.
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Mr_Roboto » December 29th 2011, 3:35am

What's your HP goals for this engine? Even small ovals will get you to 1HP/CID without a ton of cam. If you want more it may be possible to find your self a pair of L29 heads, shave em a bit to get the CR up and go from there. With no other changes that'd bring you up about 1.1 full points in compression so you'd be above 9:1. Some shim gaskets would likely help even more. I could see them flowing fairly well if you spent some time porting them, which if you wanted to run on swill would be advantageous. Even the peanut ports will actually flow fairly well (no they won't be 600hp beasts but even 400-450hp can be done with a cleanup and good valve job) with a very tame cam. There's a lot of hype to parts. Another thing I saw that was interesting was if you get the Edelbrock Peanut Port intake the stocker has a lot bigger runner volumes than the Edie does. I'd rather epoxy a taper into a "big oval" intake personally.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

Postby chevymaher [OP] » December 29th 2011, 4:15am

I want at least 550 HP.I been getting 400-425 out of small blocks.I would like to get the same HP/CI as a small block.It would be flat embarrassing to be slower than the small block I took out.I have run mid to high 12's with small blocks I looking to go faster not slower.When I show up at the dairy whip,and believe it or not that where we meet.Philmores.All the guys I have known all my life are there.I want to be a little quicker than I was in the camaro when I last went cruising.They runnin big block novas and camaros.I been shopping rectangle port heads.Dart heads are pretty much same price new as you can pick up a set of rectangle ports for.I could live with a set of big oval ports 350 HP jobs.Port them and run a cam.234 244 @ 50.Single plane intake.We run some pretty silly cars around here.If you can't run with the big dogs.Lets just say I don't like sittin on the porch. :layrubber:
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby cowboydan » December 30th 2011, 9:39pm

chevymaher wrote:I want at least 550 HP.I been getting 400-425 out of small blocks.I would like to get the same HP/CI as a small block.It would be flat embarrassing to be slower than the small block I took out.I have run mid to high 12's with small blocks I looking to go faster not slower.When I show up at the dairy whip,and believe it or not that where we meet.Philmores.All the guys I have known all my life are there.I want to be a little quicker than I was in the camaro when I last went cruising.They runnin big block novas and camaros.I been shopping rectangle port heads.Dart heads are pretty much same price new as you can pick up a set of rectangle ports for.I could live with a set of big oval ports 350 HP jobs.Port them and run a cam.234 244 @ 50.Single plane intake.We run some pretty silly cars around here.If you can't run with the big dogs.Lets just say I don't like sittin on the porch. :layrubber:

no matter what hp you have or gears, a working suspension beats all upgrades. with the right set up you wouldn't need slicks. but with traction comes broken parts...lol. i read somewhere about a 4 link, but you haven't mentioned anything else about the suspension. but back onto the engine, what year is the block? i remember the stock 454ss was rated at 230hp
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years

Postby chevymaher [OP] » December 30th 2011, 10:03pm

cowboydan wrote:no matter what hp you have or gears, a working suspension beats all upgrades. with the right set up you wouldn't need slicks. but with traction comes broken parts...lol. i read somewhere about a 4 link, but you haven't mentioned anything else about the suspension. but back onto the engine, what year is the block? i remember the stock 454ss was rated at 230hp

Right now the 4 link being modified using polyurethane bushings.Boxing the arms to reduce flex and wheel hop.
It is a 270 HP 91 and up engine.After shopping a week the Pro-Comp 230 heads are my favorites.New rods and pistons.Steel crank.It should hold up to revving and put out a couple more horses than stock.
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby cowboydan » December 30th 2011, 10:31pm

yea, just a few. what shocks are planned?
cowboydan

Postby chevymaher [OP] » December 31st 2011, 12:03am

cowboydan wrote:yea, just a few. what shocks are planned?

Don't know yet but it will be road race type.
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Mr_Roboto » December 31st 2011, 6:38am

Yeah, if you're willing to go through the trouble the Procomps are supposedly pretty decent. I have heard expect to grind em some to get em to flow though. The weight savings will be nice too. I'm hoping to be able to give into the "big block craving" eventually, but not any time soon. I think with forced induction I'll have enough to keep happy for a bit if and when I get there.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher [OP] » December 31st 2011, 2:37pm

Mr_Roboto wrote:Yeah, if you're willing to go through the trouble the Procomps are supposedly pretty decent. I have heard expect to grind em some to get em to flow though. The weight savings will be nice too. I'm hoping to be able to give into the "big block craving" eventually, but not any time soon. I think with forced induction I'll have enough to keep happy for a bit if and when I get there.

Yes the intake side is good for what I want RPM band wise.The exhaust side needs a little work looks like.But they seem to be best bang for the buck.I see them cheaper than stock oval ports or square ports that are warped and worn out.Restorers have ruined stock part prices.Which is why the numbers matching car went BY-BY.I will show it when done and I will point out it a SS clone with non-stock new parts.It would have cost 15 grand for a car with the options I got.And it would have been junk.If I going through 10 years of doing this I want, what I want, all factory options more horsepower than 375.Eventually more gears.A new car for half price of what the starting junk was.I restored the SS sold it re-couped the money, and got my car basically free.I know labor was not free.But that the nature of the beast when you do this stuff they so rare.And got to play with the SS a while.I will never sell it so it don't matter what it is.This was a nice side detour,today back to prepping the floorboard for paint.Maybe get the frame back on next week.I got time, I still got to finnish the body re-wire it.Paint it.Right now it as apart as a car can get.The fun part about to begin.Everything new putting it together the last time.As opposed to what I been going through for years.Everytime you work on it,it looks worse and you discover more rust and damage to fix.In the final stages it will probably be a perfect car sitting with its motor on the stand in front of it.Waiting on the last parts to arrive.As Uncle Bob said before oh the projects we get ourselves into. :obscene-hanged:
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby chevymaher [OP] » December 31st 2011, 11:34pm

Well did not get squat done on mine today.The El Camino done went home to its owner.And the buick went into the garage in its place.Soon the buick will go to my basement garage and the GTO that is there now will go to the hot rod garage.It is scheduled to be Done before the latest entry in the old cars catagory, the buick.It is amazing that bay in the garage they come in junk leave nice and some other hunk of junk replaces it.Must be cursed.The El camino is to be final assembled by the owner our friend at his garage.most of the day we played with the buick after the loading was over.Not a single dent in that car.Rust yep but no dents.It may even run.
1231011131.jpg
1231011158a.jpg
1231011158.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Mr_Roboto » January 1st 2012, 5:20pm

Good year for a Skylark IMO. About what I want my next project car to be. Possibly something with a BB in it, maybe try to cram a Vortec 7400 intake under the hood or something.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher [OP] » January 4th 2012, 5:26pm

Not even a painted a day.Just got the wipers and stuff back on.Oh now the tires dirty and the chrome not shinin enough.Some people just never happy I tell you. :whack:
0104021049.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby cowboydan » January 4th 2012, 5:37pm

tell him to have a coke and a smile....lol coke is the best chome cleaner out there.
cowboydan

Previous