Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

outdated vans?

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  paintdrying 
#1 ·
I have a 1986 chevy van one ton van with a turbo 400 transmission and a possi rearend. Yes it has a carb, and only gets 10 mpg. But it is one nice van. The paint is faded, it is rusty. It will also pull anything with that 350 motor. I can not believe that I have gotten no takers I the 500 dollar van. I am guessing that people do not want an old van up here in Vermont. Down in the south west this would still be a nice van?
I am thinking of buying an old s-10 and dropping the motor in it. Either that or I am going to just drive it down to the junk yard and say my goodbyes.

#2 ·
I'd put the engine in something, or list it as a 350 with a THM400 for $500, can drive it home. I'd not drive it to the junkyard. That would break my heart to bring that drivetrain in for what a yard would pay.

Didn't '86 come with Throttle Body injection Nevermind. '86 was carbed, '87 was the start (IIRC) of TBI on V8's.

#4 ·
Don't be too quick to the JY. I hear that turbo 400 trans is a favorite with the drag strip gang. I was wandering around the internet and found an article about it. Apparently it was built for trucks and has some features that make it near indestructible. It was also put in full size GM sedans and Rolls Royce used it. Could you imagine paying 1/4 million for a snobby English car and finding a Chevy Transmission?

My wife suggested for years to replace the Astro with a newer one, but I figure I'm better off fixing ours instead of finding what needs fixing on another costs more than its worth. A shame, but could be others thinking same about yours.

#6 ·
It is sad the way people feel about these old vans. Must be the price of gas. The th 400 is a very nice transmission. I bought a van one other time just for the turbo 400 transmission. I got 400 bucks just for the tranny. I put a window ac unit in the body and made it into a kids play house. I had the 350 engine sold before I even got it home.
I was hoping someone would come out and buy it for an astro conversion. I have this thing advertised any way I could think of. I even run ads saying I want to buy a transmission hoping someone will call me and I can sell them the motor.

#7 ·
I agree with all of the above. Surely someone on here would love to have that 350/TH400 combo for a V-8 swap into an Astro or Safari... :layrubber:

#9 ·
Big_kid said:
I'd put the engine in something, or list it as a 350 with a THM400 for $500, can drive it home.
That works
:goodpost:

That is what I did years ago , list it as a 350 with Turbo 400 trans for $500, can drive it home. It draws the attention of people looking for an engine they can hear run, I sold mine to the first guy to come over , He had cash in hand

#12 ·
paintdrying said:
It is not like that anymore. Nobody wants this thing. I sold the transmission. Now I am in the process of filling it up with metal.
Somebody wants it.Just like the engine, cars that need it are getting scarce to.Heck I want it just cant afford it right now.To many irons in the fire at the moment.It to far away.My incessant whining could go for hours.My van screaming for it,time just is not right.

#13 ·
Same here- if I had the room & the cash I'd stash it for another day. Trouble is my stable is pretty full at the moment. My butt-ometer is happy with the 4.3 in the Astro, so that's not high on the list for a swap.

Is there a local race track nearby? A buddy of mine in NC runs on the drag track, we used to run on a 3/8 mile dirt circle (he drove, I helped build). He's always on the lookout for a 350. I'm sure there's people out there looking. Even if you have to hold on to it for a while until the economy picks up, I'd still keep it.

#14 ·
I am going to take the van on its last drive tomorrow. Before the guy comes to pull the tranny. God I will miss that old van. I am drowning in cars and trucks right now. I need the head space and the yard space for the nicer stuff. I have a small fleet that is going. I looked around and thought to myself, I am not a mechanic, I really do not want to do mechanic work. If I want to do mechanic work I would be busy all day-making good money as well.
I am not sure what exactly is coming, I know around here people are hurting for money. They are not doing too well. They are worried about money or there jobs. They only want something that will get them to the next place in life. This has been sad to see lately, selling all this stuff. Hearing people's stories of hardship. I am not sure what I am preparing for. I just need a change as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.